Hymer motorhome

Anyone ever owned one of these, was thinking about doing a horse box conversion but as these seem to be available for little money at the moment I,m quite fancying one but was just wondering if there are any major problems or pitfalls to look out for, I know a few people that have owned and sold them always seem to regret getting rid and claim they are the best thing since sliced bread, but always happy to here from those that have or re still living with one, things like spare parts availability, reliability and fuel consumption, have heard the windscreens are a bit pricey and hard to come by ??

15A58BB1-5CAB-4171-A080-6444BDF7080B.jpeg

My old man just sold his he liked it said great bus and there winterized but can just be a bit big over here at places.think final straw for him was having to reverse a mile down a single narrow lane  as it wouldn't fit through entrance to a site he was goin on but loved it round Europe but he's had a few different ones he's just got like the van style ones says not as much living space but says there miles better 

• Like 1

Think most old ones were Based on an old sprinter so parts should be readily available.

Never hear anyone complaining about them and we fit some towbars to all different motorhomes 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Chid said:

Think most old ones were Based on an old sprinter so parts should be readily available.

Never hear anyone complaining about them and we fit some towbars to all different motorhomes 

They are normally sprinter or Ducato based

2 hours ago, paulus said:

Timber floor, Timber framed A class motorhome. Almost all will come with issues, There a bit like old Land rovers, If you don't mind forever having to fix something or other then there fine, 

I know that feeling this was my daily drive for many years, was as happy when I sold it as I was when I bought it pulling the gearbox on my own in the streets not something I’d recommend for someone of my advancing years, 

74A81901-1456-47FD-BFEF-46DC1859C2E1.jpeg

65940398-DDCC-4980-AB26-9BAFA0BCBAF8.jpeg

• Like 2

They are highly rated by people that own them all galvanized steel so rust not such a problem. Think they are OK depending on which engine they used  Peugeot as well

They are big so power is your friend the smaller engines non turbo would have taken some stick imo.

I thought about doing a sprinter myself, as I can easily get caravan interiors and windows but settling on a boat lol

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Chaff said:

They are highly rated by people that own them all galvanized steel so rust not such a problem. Think they are OK depending on which engine they used  Peugeot as well

They are big so power is your friend the smaller engines non turbo would have taken some stick imo.

I thought about doing a sprinter myself, as I can easily get caravan interiors and windows but settling on a boat lol

A boat and a motorhome seem to go hand in hand, my neighbour spends winter in Europe in his motorhome and summer here on the boat, got to sale me house before I can fulfil the rest of my master plan though, but I’ve just knocked a big chunk off the price and have a viewing on Thursday so just window shopping and a bit of research first with everything crossed 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Greyman said:

A boat and a motorhome seem to go hand in hand, my neighbour spends winter in Europe in his motorhome and summer here on the boat, got to sale me house before I can fulfil the rest of my master plan though, but I’ve just knocked a big chunk off the price and have a viewing on Thursday so just window shopping and a bit of research first with everything crossed 

Thinking of getting a holiday let maybe something with mooring and use that during winter 🤔 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Greyman said:

I know that feeling this was my daily drive for many years, was as happy when I sold it as I was when I bought it pulling the gearbox on my own in the streets not something I’d recommend for someone of my advancing years, 

74A81901-1456-47FD-BFEF-46DC1859C2E1.jpeg

65940398-DDCC-4980-AB26-9BAFA0BCBAF8.jpeg

Land rover owners are a special breed. My son's got one along with a boat and a motor home. He's forever spending on it, talking about it. Doesn't go far in it, but always gets it MOT'd and insured. Just likes it about the place. I don't get it full stop. But as he says "I'm not your clone dad..thank f**k"

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jukel123 said:

Land rover owners are a special breed. My son's got one along with a boat and a motor home. He's forever spending on it, talking about it. Doesn't go far in it, but always gets it MOT'd and insured. Just likes it about the place. I don't get it full stop. But as he says "I'm not your clone dad..thank f**k"

Im on my 4th since 91 started with a series 2 now on a TD5, money pits, yes but Ive enjoyed them

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Bakerboy said:

Im on my 4th since 91 started with a series 2 now on a TD5, money pits, yes but Ive enjoyed them

I think they are all money pits mate, I spent a few Bob on my old vwt4, I always justified it to my self by thinking how much money I saved on having holidays away over the years 😀