Sycamore gap tree..

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He will get done for Treeson.

I was in London today . Walked around a bit , went to Camden ( not bad , few bellends about , good pizza , nice coffee , bought some trainers ) then up into Leicester square ( busy , contemplated book

What a cuntish thing to do

Posted Images

Absolute tw*t

if a 16 year old has cut that down, he can come to work with me, because he clearly knows how to use a chainsaw, it’s been cut properly from both sides, most people ( who don’t know what they are doing) would of got the saw stuck cutting something that size from the bottom 

• Like 4
31 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

It's a bit of a sickener, seems strange though a sixteen year old felling a tree of that size and weight, either a farm lad, or some skilled student arborist, I remember Andy Wardle the wild camper mentioning the Oak tree at Sycamore Gap, could be something in that 🤔

Was he bladdered at the time??

I was in London today . Walked around a bit , went to Camden ( not bad , few bellends about , good pizza , nice coffee , bought some trainers ) then up into Leicester square ( busy , contemplated booking a show for the wife and me , remembered we’d had a a Barney so bought sone Lego and m and ms , got my phone screen replaced ) next stop China town ( very well er Chinese but suppose , contemplated bringing the wife , remembered we’d had a Barney , rang sone f***ing idiot , had a coke , not bad prices ) but walked back down past trafalgar square, downing street , horseguards, cenotaph etc . Stopped in the guards div memorial . 
 Looked at the statue of the fallen lads from the five regts , the grenadier , the Welsh , the Scot’s , the Irish , the Coldstream. All alike but slightly different . Stone faced hewn , lean , no give , all staring solemnly out at the crowds of tourists , honestly two wildly in your  face type trans things sashayed past . My mate looked at me and said “ look what happened to our country , I wonder what they think “ 

as we meandered down to our coaches opposite Waterloo station and sat waiting on the late comers , I scrolled this story on my notifications . I’ve stood there , with dogs long gone , girlfriends long forgotten , mates long time no see and family , no longer here. I’ve been there twice and witnessed strangers scattering ashes at the area around that tree . It’s a focal point , one of the true north England landmarks , most people truth be told think little more of it that the rhpot tree and half those bemoaning it’s culling will have never been there . But for some , it’s as part of home as coming over the moors  , or give peas a chance . It’s not a structure that can be replaced or remodelled . It’s imbued into you . 

Sat in the coach as we left London , past the Thames , along the water , part the remodelled factories , the high rises , the expensive concrete high rises of offices long dark and homes lamp lit and thought about what home means .

maybe morose or maybe seeking a pattern where there is none , rationalising rather than rational . But If ever there was a sobering allude to what we are doing to our country and our society today . The wanton removal of a tree that sat alone in a hillock for no reason other than spite illustrates this more than anything else I’ve read in a long time . 

a real shame . 

5C5FD5BB-9C83-4455-9BE4-D1C89621F2FA.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

It's a great area, you've got the Once Brewed pub and opposite is Steel Rigg, a sheer cliff face with Hadrians wall running along the top and a small lough at the bottom. I was there a few months ago for my local hunt, The Hayden, Hound, lurcher and Terrier show. A lot of people were absailing down the cliff.

Its a popular walk for people, start at the pub, walk up to SteelRigg then along the wall to Sycamore Gap and back.

I used to point out the tree as we passed ,to visitors,  be a bit strange not seeing it now.

Cheers.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

It's a great area, you've got the Once Brewed pub and opposite is Steel Rigg, a sheer cliff face with Hadrians wall running along the top and a small lough at the bottom. I was there a few months ago for my local hunt, The Hayden, Hound, lurcher and Terrier show. A lot of people were absailing down the cliff.

Its a popular walk for people, start at the pub, walk up to SteelRigg then along the wall to Sycamore Gap and back.

I used to point out the tree as we passed ,to visitors,  be a bit strange not seeing it now.

Cheers.

I bought a painting from John J Kerr of Steel Rigg with Crag Lough, he was telling me about the time he was in a small rowing boat on the Lough, and some clowns were lobbing big stones into the water around him, he said " They could have killed me, I wish I'd had my shotgun"