Tenerife

15 minutes ago, Meece said:

I've been to all of 5hose mentioned places. What people forget it that in the winter you have to go a long way down south to find heat.  Not only that but in a lot of these places the season is over and there is nothing going on for tourists to see or do.  As for not ever going to a Muslim country,  that is very short sighted. They are just people like anyone.  If they came here with that sort of attitude you would say what a load of arrogant people. If you go to THEIR COUNTRY with a sort of arrogant imperialistic attitude it doesn't represent this country.  It all depends on what you are going to a place for. Eg you wouldn't go to London if you wanted to laze on a beach. Customs in some countries are a lot different to here. Personally I found Sharm to be a  bit of a dump. The canaries are OK but fuertevntura was very windy and being on the beach was like being sandblasted red raw. Do research BEFORE you commit 

I was trying to do research before committing, hence asking on thl, the font of all knowledge.

I genuinely don't want to go to a Muslim country. I don't want to give them my money. I do see them as arrogant, the ones that aren't I believe are just snakes. I don't fancy it and it's not for me. I don't want to eat their ritually slaughtered meat or interact with them whenever possible. 

Everything in the canaries being shut is what I was wondering about 

• Like 3

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't imagine the horror them poor folks must have gone through doesn't bear thinking about its another reason though it might sound silly to some but no way on this earth will I holiday in a Muslim

I went abroad once....never again 😄

Tell socks that gnasher has invited him to a few days scuba diving in the red sea and bird says it'll be a blinding few days. Lol. 

Posted Images

7 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Most of the Canaries are nowadays....full of Irish pubs and Chinese Restaurants....who needs it when your on holiday.

There was a time when such places were full of German/Dutch/Scandanavians as well as Brits......either they are all sick and tired of us or Brits are the only ones going on holiday these days.

The same is true of the mainstream Greek Islands. 30 or 40 years ago they were clean, welcoming, friendly and good value. To me, who has never travelled, they were genuine adventures. We would hire a car and spend all day exploring the islands. You would get a genuine welcome from the Greeks in the villages.

Last time I was in Corfu,it was expensive, full of  mountains of rubbish and kind of cut throat. 'Give us your euros and f**k off 'seemed to be the attitude. The English hotspots are definitely to be avoided.  Full of sunburnt drunks dining on chips and lager. Worst of all there were cruise ships docking in Corfu town which disgorge  thousands of day trippers so you couldn't move. And I am the last person you would call a snob.

Edited by jukel123
45 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

I was trying to do research before committing, hence asking on thl, the font of all knowledge.

I genuinely don't want to go to a Muslim country. I don't want to give them my money. I do see them as arrogant, the ones that aren't I believe are just snakes. I don't fancy it and it's not for me. I don't want to eat their ritually slaughtered meat or interact with them whenever possible. 

Everything in the canaries being shut is what I was wondering about 

It doesn't matter what country , there are good and there are bad.  There's just as many scum good for nothing people in the uk that would rob you blind as there are genuine people.  Take the Turkish. A  unlimited country but personally I would prefer to operate with the Turks than the Greeks.  I have found them are very honest and helpful.   Meat is meat and it eats the same.  What you have to do is to get your head around the fact that there is no benefit system and they have to take as much bounty out of the tourist as they can.  That dont mean that they are a load of kaniving thieving  fellows. The Most intimidating place that the Mrs and I have ever  been was a street market in St Louis in Mauritius.  It was all Asians and  like a market in darkest Calcuta.  I  told her to turn round and just keep walking.  I've only heard bad things about Tunisia. You haven't said how old your kids are.  It wouldn't be much of a holiday if there's nothing for them to do and they get miserable and you all end up scrapping on the deck.... remember that there will be one person to blame .... and that will be you...100%... I've seen that before.

6 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

The same is true of the mainstream Greek Islands. 30 or 40 years ago they were clean, welcoming, friendly and good value. To me, who had never travelled they were genuine adventures. We would hire a car and spend all day exploring the islands. You would get a genuine welcome from the Greeks in the villages.

Last time I was in Corfu,it was expensive, full of  mountains of rubbish and kind of cut throat. 'Give us your euros and f**k off 'seemed to be the attitude. The English hotspots are definitely to be avoided.  Full of sunburnt drunks dining on chips and lager. Worst of all there were cruise ships docking in Corfu town which disgorge  thousands of day trippers so you couldn't move. And I am the last person you would call a snob.

You mean when small numbers of foreigners visit a country they fit in and bring benefits to themselves and their hosts? Yet when huge numbers of foreigners are allowed to arrive they bring the worst of their national character and swamp the indigenous population? 

I genuinely would never of thought that 🤔

🤣

Just now, DIDO.1 said:

You mean when small numbers of foreigners visit a country they fit in and bring benefits to themselves and their hosts? Yet when huge numbers of foreigners are allowed to arrive they bring the worst of their national character and swamp the indigenous population? 

I genuinely would never of thought that 🤔

🤣

Ya f****n smart arse.

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Meece said:

It doesn't matter what country , there are good and there are bad.  There's just as many scum good for nothing people in the uk that would rob you blind as there are genuine people.  Take the Turkish. A  unlimited country but personally I would prefer to operate with the Turks than the Greeks.  I have found them are very honest and helpful.   Meat is meat and it eats the same.  What you have to do is to get your head around the fact that there is no benefit system and they have to take as much bounty out of the tourist as they can.  That dont mean that they are a load of kaniving thieving  fellows. The Most intimidating place that the Mrs and I have ever  been was a street market in St Louis in Mauritius.  It was all Asians and  like a market in darkest Calcuta.  I  told her to turn round and just keep walking.  I've only heard bad things about Tunisia. You haven't said how old your kids are.  It wouldn't be much of a holiday if there's nothing for them to do and they get miserable and you all end up scrapping on the deck.... remember that there will be one person to blame .... and that will be you...100%... I've seen that before.

10 and 17. 

Cheap and cheerful, Blackpool with a bit of sun will do for 4-5 days. As long as there's a pool and hotdog and chips 

I keep thinking I'll walk the Camino across northern Spain. Might do a section of it in spring with the youngest.

• Like 1
Just now, DIDO.1 said:

10 and 17. 

Cheap and cheerful, Blackpool with a bit of sun will do for 4-5 days. As long as there's a pool and hotdog and chips 

I keep thinking I'll walk the Camino across northern Spain. Might do a section of it in spring with the youngest.

I'd like to do that. There's a trail in Corfu, the length of the island which I'd like to do as well.

• Like 1
Just now, jukel123 said:

I'd like to do that. There's a trail in Corfu, the length of the island which I'd like to do as well.

There's one across Tenerife 👍 

Some friends are talking about doing that in spring. Wild camping. 

Think I'd prefer the Spanish one 

• Like 1
Just now, jukel123 said:

Let's do the walk together. We can talk politics all the way and piss each other off .

Edited by jukel123
22 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Let's do the walk together. We can talk politics all the way and piss each other off .

You've gone quiet. I was only joking.1, you couldn't keep up with me and 2, you would be a raving commie at the end of the walk.

31 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

I was out walking the dogs.

I was just about to write let's do it together....BUT NO POLITICS!! 🤣

38 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

10 and 17. 

Cheap and cheerful, Blackpool with a bit of sun will do for 4-5 days. 

Florida,just get flights and an Air BnB,take the kids into MGA (machine guns of America)they will love it,pack fishing kits,cheap’ish and certainly cheerful.

Just now, mackem said:

Florida,just get flights and an Air BnB,take the kids into MGA (machine guns of America)they will love it,pack fishing kits,cheap’ish and certainly cheerful.

What's the weather like in February? How longs the flights?