What to look for when choosing a pup

Just asking what some of you more experienced blokes look for, I have been told different things. Some say to pick the most aggressive one some say take the one that gets away from the aggressive one and doesn't get nailed, also told pick the most quiet sleepy one as they make for a more bidable easier to train.

Any one relate to this ?

Or is it a case of what you as an owner make of them.

Thanks in advance for any replys.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

🤔Personally,...I don't think we should over-complicate the situation, when selecting a dog for rabbit hunting... Most lurcher types can handle this particular quarry,..obviously, some are better

Get someone else to pick one for u then moan like feck at them if its no good 

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

Always just picked one I like🤷🏻‍♂️ that's the main thing.

Check everything looks and sounds right, and the parents do what you want or have a good chance of doing🤞 probably better ways but nobody really

Thanks for your honesty my last pick was done on size really and tried to pick the one that had more running dog about it. As the litter was all shapes and sizes.

• Like 1
Just now, Deerhunter1 said:

With the type I keep I like to pick the one that looks like it’s thrown furthest away from the saluki! Temperament wise I like a nice calm pup, nothing shy or nervous.

Have you chosen different temperaments before deerhunter and if so did they turn out to be hard work

Thanks 

Well this time around what I'm looking for are.

To come from good working parents that do what I would like do with pup. ( rabbits)

I think more site hound and less collie Terrier as my last had too much going on, took months to stop him herding and digging lol

Also I'm going to hold this one back for the first 18months of its life and then introduce to the chase.

Anyone disagree or can add something to the above that I've missed

Cheers 

55 minutes ago, Chaff said:

Have you chosen different temperaments before deerhunter and if so did they turn out to be hard work

Thanks 

No can’t say I have to be fair, I think it’s just a lottery picking pups, I’d say one of the biggest factors in how a dog turns out is how much running it gets, the best dogs I’ve seen have had keen owners that would get them out a lot

Edited by Deerhunter1
  • Like 1

Road work with a push bike type running, or out running free 

I on the advise of someone else used to leave him to run with the older dogs (fitted with garman) which I dont want to take that path again.

Just a little pocket rocket for a few bunnies 

42 minutes ago, Chaff said:

Good one what's the thinking behind that fred any ideas 

I am hoping some experienced dog men will be along soon who can tell us more mate👍... thinking about it pretty sure tomo commented about it before, hopefully he will again. 

Edited by fred90
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Deerhunter1 said:

With the type I keep I like to pick the one that looks like it’s thrown furthest away from the saluki! Temperament wise I like a nice calm pup, nothing shy or nervous.

Why do you go for something with saluki in it in the first place 

Personally. If i was in the market for a pup. !. I would do my homework on the breeding. Temperament and working ability of the sire and Dam. I would make sure the parents and the pups had been looked after properly both in terms of food and vet care if needed. I would ask people who had personally seen all this and be able to verify it, before i even looked at a pup. 

As for choosing a pup. Be methodical and take your time, Providing the litter is sound with no medical issues amongst them, Then pick the pup that you feel most comfortable with. There are no Guarantee's But if you feel drawn to the pup the chances of it making it are greatly increased. 

At 8 weeks old it really is a lottery and all you can do is try to lower the odds of failure. But in my opinion again, more owners fail there dogs than dogs fail there owners. 

Funny old world this dog game.