Police shoot a police dog

Was reading about this, apparently it went nuts lol. My question is why? Was it an unstable dog? (Many questions follow that one). Was it a bad handler? Or was it just just a bad match between the both? Or maybe she was a crack fiend and the dog did it’s job :laugh: Either way it’s not a good show.

2 hours ago, keepdiggin said:

It’s was a Belgium shepherd they need constant work a police man said on a YouTube video there too much dog for the police force!

Some police dog handlers don't like the belgium shepherd , because they can be slow to release when they get hold of a suspect

10 minutes ago, keepdiggin said:

They stopped using the Rottweiler because they bite to hard as well but obviously not happy with the German shepherd 

The way it’s all going they will be using chihuahuas in rainbow jackets within the next decade 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13
On 04/08/2023 at 00:26, mushroom said:

Was reading about this, apparently it went nuts lol. My question is why? Was it an unstable dog? (Many questions follow that one). Was it a bad handler? Or was it just just a bad match between the both? Or maybe she was a crack fiend and the dog did it’s job :laugh: Either way it’s not a good show.

As usual, a lot of it comes down to cut backs in funding.

My mate has just got a job in the dog squad with the Police. The dog he was given was a Belgian Mali rescued from a puppy farm.

Dog was alright until it turned and bit him badly, was then failed off the programme.

A lot of Belgian Mali's are known for similar I believe, they get wound up (too much go in them) and from the frustration re-direct and bite the handler. 

You couldn't gift me one of them things. 

We also have lots of these dogs being bred by idiots who have no business owning them, breeding the wrong qualitites thinkig its great to have a go that'll go out and bite and be a loonatic, where in reality (especially in Police dog work I would think), 99% of the time you just want a dog that's a deterrant and doesn't bite, and a dog with a cool head that can switch it on and off when needed. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

As usual, a lot of it comes down to cut backs in funding.

My mate has just got a job in the dog squad with the Police. The dog he was given was a Belgian Mali rescued from a puppy farm.

Dog was alright until it turned and bit him badly, was then failed off the programme.

A lot of Belgian Mali's are known for similar I believe, they get wound up (too much go in them) and from the frustration re-direct and bite the handler. 

You couldn't gift me one of them things. 

We also have lots of these dogs being bred by idiots who have no business owning them, breeding the wrong qualitites thinkig its great to have a go that'll go out and bite and be a loonatic, where in reality (especially in Police dog work I would think), 99% of the time you just want a dog that's a deterrant and doesn't bite, and a dog with a cool head that can switch it on and off when needed. 

I forgot to say, I told my mate I thought it was unbelievable that they weren't breeding and running on their own pups so they can get dogs in with good backgrounds and stable dogs.

He said it costs too much. They buy some in from 'facilities' and certain places, then they also rescue some and just give them a go and then see if they pass the assessment. 

After the initial dog failed the programme, my mate was given a Dutch Shephard and only had it 2 weeks. This one came from one of the 'facilities' and passed the Police assessment first time after only 2 weeks with him. 

On 06/08/2023 at 10:42, paul sr said:

Some police dog handlers don't like the belgium shepherd , because they can be slow to release when they get hold of a suspect

I know a fella who ran the Met police K9 programme for over 20years and is still a top authority in the working German Shepherd game.He said they tried Belgium Shepherds and  Malis but they weren't suitable as police dogs spend a big part of their shift in the back of a vehicle so when the come out they were like a coiled spring.He even said the eastern European line German shepherds were too much for general police work.Dogs like that need to be constantly working.Truth is 80% of people that own malis dont give them half the work they need

• Like 4