The first thing I suss about a person is their accent. I have learned the following: brummie accents generally belong to retarded people. A fallout with a Glaswegian accent often  heralds a violent attack,  by a gang of poison dwarfs waiting round the corner. Trust me I know. The northern Ireland accent is an accent you should hear, but immediately retreat from... unless you want to confront a religiously inspired nutjob on jihad. Geordies are generally OK if you can keep up with their genetically superior alcohol consumption, blind allegiance to black and white and some god called SHEERAH! Liverpulians can only be understood if you've worked with a high pitched  chainsaw for a few months...then it becomes understandable. My accent was initially Salfordian but I've picked up a lot of Scots twang. This has  made me a tad schizophrenic because I am referred to as an English b*****d in Scotland and a scotch c**t in England. Even my Mrs says I'm a sellout because I change my accent to be quickly understood. She on the other hand, also a Salfordian, still sounds like Ena Sharples. Ffs don't tell her I said that.

Edited by jukel123
  • Haha 12

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The first thing I suss about a person is their accent. I have learned the following: brummie accents generally belong to retarded people. A fallout with a Glaswegian accent often  heralds a violent at

Some Of the words my old grandparents used I never understood as a kid, like “where’s me f***ing twirls” or “ I need a f***ing glim”  “can’t find me smother”    twirls would be keys gli

My missus just said the other day that you don't see dogs on the street these days.  We are in our 70's so we did back on the day, I remember Billy the bull dog, he was an English bull terrier, u

Posted Images

It saddens me that my lad doesn't have a Lancashire accent. They are all talking with a gay American twang because they watch so much YouTube and tiktok. Only 20 years ago you could tell which village someone came from round here because of the accent.

Scouse accents are horrendous. Fit bird...then she opens her mouth and she's instantly a pig. 

I worked in the new forest for 3 years and I enjoyed driving into Wiltshire to a certain farm with a farm manager who had a Geordie accent as it was an antidote to the southern fairy voices I was stuck with.

One accent I hate is that half caste southern talk that seems so popular on the radio, like a stupid half arsed southern street talk 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
Just now, DIDO.1 said:

It saddens me that my lad doesn't have a Lancashire accent. They are all talking with a gay American twang because they watch so much YouTube and tiktok. Only 20 years ago you could tell which village someone came from round here because of the accent.

Scouse accents are horrendous. Fit bird...then she opens her mouth and she's instantly a pig. 

I worked in the new forest for 3 years and I enjoyed driving into Wiltshire to a certain farm with a farm manager who had a Geordie accent as it was an antidote to the southern fairy voices I was stuck with.

One accent I hate is that half caste southern talk that seems so popular on the radio, like a stupid half arsed southern street talk 

The Liverpool accent has changed within a few decades. I could understand the old Liverpudlian comics no problem, Cilla Black, the Beatles etc, but f**k me its sounds so much  faster and high pitched now.

You guys must be drinking the gay fruity ciders or prosecco lol. But yep I love British accents proper Bristol, Brummie , Scots you do generalise as you meet different folk but I try to keep an open mind mind haha...

• Haha 1

This could be a funny thread, in northern ireland we have a broad range of accents, 20 mins down or up the road from belfast your either in scotland or full blown chushie land, where every sentence ends with hay, and they try and mate with their sisters, the Scottish accent i have no problem understanding, or the english, but some of the Welsh is a bit trickier except for Anglesey it sounds like the scousers

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

The Liverpool accent has changed within a few decades. I could understand the old Liverpudlian comics no problem, Cilla Black, the Beatles etc, but f**k me its sounds so much  faster and high pitched now.

The scouse accent changes for different bits of Liverpool some areas its stronger than others. Mancs always sound like they're trying to act hard to me. I think my accent is neutral but I should have a strong one like one of didos villages but our local accent and dialect has faded since my dad's time and it's a shame really.

Just now, gnipper said:

The scouse accent changes for different bits of Liverpool some areas its stronger than others. Mancs always sound like they're trying to act hard to me. I think my accent is neutral but I should have a strong one like one of didos villages but our local accent and dialect has faded since my dad's time and it's a shame really.

People often confused the Manc accent with a Salford accent. Call my Mrs  a Manc and she'll chin you.

• Haha 1

If you want a sensible discussion on accents, the Geordie accent is heavily influenced by the Scandinavian languages, we say "gan oot" to leave, when I was in Sweden the exit signs in places said "oot gan", I could decipher most of what my Scandinavian hosts were saying,, many more words or sayings resonate, such as "gannin yhem", (going home), there's a lot more in common between the Scandinavian languages and the Geordie dialect.

Cheers.

• Like 5

Most people hear my accent then see me and their beyond confused.

Don't help my parents don't have it, my little brother is polar opposite and has more of a good accent. Constantly get asked with the first few sentences " boy where the f**k you from ?"

Will say though seems most women outside the south love it. Kinda hate getting on voice chats on discord nowadays if I know we got people from over seas on. Damn foreign women folk actually like it's the sexiest shit ever, why ? I have no clue ?

• Haha 1
Just now, gnipper said:

My auntie was round little Hulton when I was a kid so went round there a bit and it was like a different world, packs of street dogs and rough arses I couldn't understand 

That was near my stamping ground. Did you notice all the dogs had curly tails, were black or brindle and had their own street culture? For example a lot had learned to cross by the the traffic lights, except when a bitch was on heat then they went apeshit and turned into a drooling pack.

1 minute ago, gnipper said:

My auntie was round little Hulton when I was a kid so went round there a bit and it was like a different world, packs of street dogs and rough arses I couldn't understand 

There was a shoot on hulton park estate until the 90's. A tiny estate surrounded by townies and mad heads. I would love to speak to someone who was involved as I drive past regular. I did a pest job in the old house, big walk in gun room and even a beaters room with melted cartridges in the fireplace but totally out of place in its location