Bull x whippets

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A good Bull/whippet with a great strike. She caught all sorts.  

Not owned a bull whippet but this lad was a great mooching dog first cross Wheaton whippet atb longers01 

I don't think it's ethical hunting using an underpowered dog, for the game hunted or the dogs. It is admirable watching the little dogs punch way above their weight but in some instances you can see t

Posted Images

On 15/06/2023 at 23:29, jeemes said:

I think you misunderstood me slightly. If you read it again Im only saying lack of size tests them more which of course it does if they go to work in the proper way. I am not saying that anyone wants it. Btw you can only test gameness under duress obviously.

Thats why in the old days they baited bears and Bulls. Dogs that kill anything quickly can only be tested for killing, you cant know if its game. It doesnt say it isnt but you cant know. You dont want to "push them to breaking" as you put it but rather push them to NOT breaking.

I also said you are better with a Bull Greyhound (because of the size difference obviously) because its more effective. Or it was back when these things were legal.

Testing their gameness and knowing if their game.Theyre lurchers ffs so theyre not gunna be game.Most bulldogs are curs when actually tested so once theyre crossed with a whippet or greyhound even if out of a real quality bulldog the resulting progeny aint gunna be game

I’ve never fancied a bull/whippet, or a bull/greyhound for that matter, nothing at all wrong with them and I’ve seen some very good ‘uns, they’re just not my type of dogs.

Of course, bull terrier featured in the creation of the “non-ped whippet “ many years ago, supposedly to give the whippet a bit more “fire”.

The bull genes must have been very strong as there are still “bully” types in the odd litter even today, around 100 years later. There was regular “bully” types thrown back in the 60’s.

One thing about bull/whippets; they always seem to look “nice”, which , of course, has nothing to do with working ability.

Theres plenty of crosses to choose from in the lurcher game, and whatever you choose, good luck !

Cheers.

BULLX GREYS, BULLYXSTAGS AND BULLYXWHIPPETS COMMON HERE IN aUSSIE AND ARE BASE OF MANY A PIGDOG LINE AS WELL AS DOUBLED UP ON THE SIGHTHOUND SIDE TO MAKE BETTER FOX DOGS. iVE GOT A LOT OF TIME FOR BULLY STAGS AND I AM LOOKING FOR ANOTHER BULLY STAG AT THE MOMENT.

• Like 1

I think if you’re adding bull, it’s to make the dog more useful for foxes etc.. and with that in mind, the bigger the better, so I would always prefer the greyhound.. Ive only seen one small bull cross work and it took too much damage for my liking.. probably was about 19/20 inch. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, downsouth said:

Testing their gameness and knowing if their game.Theyre lurchers ffs so theyre not gunna be game.Most bulldogs are curs when actually tested so once theyre crossed with a whippet or greyhound even if out of a real quality bulldog the resulting progeny aint gunna be game

Yes they are lurchers so you take it in that context.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, moonlighter said:

I think if you’re adding bull, it’s to make the dog more useful for foxes etc.. and with that in mind, the bigger the better, so I would always prefer the greyhound.. Ive only seen one small bull cross work and it took too much damage for my liking.. probably was about 19/20 inch. 

Youre dead right mate. A dog may have a big heart but it doesnt help it to do his job, and its the wrong job for him really

Edited by jeemes