Bull x whippets

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A good Bull/whippet with a great strike. She caught all sorts.  

Not owned a bull whippet but this lad was a great mooching dog first cross Wheaton whippet atb longers01 

I don't think it's ethical hunting using an underpowered dog, for the game hunted or the dogs. It is admirable watching the little dogs punch way above their weight but in some instances you can see t

Posted Images

13 hours ago, fred90 said:

how did she compare with the little blue whippet bitch you had? 

Much harder, Slower off the mark and no where near the nose of the whippet but completely committed on her quarry.  

2 hours ago, paulus said:

Much harder, Slower off the mark and no where near the nose of the whippet but completely committed on her quarry.  

gain in some lose in others. until I had this whippet I never knew how good a nose they had. 

A proper Bullwhippet is more than just a rabbiting dog, and their lack of size only goes to test them more, but personally I think you are better off with either a rabbiting dog or a Bullgreyhound which makes it more effective for bigger things

Edited by jeemes
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, jeemes said:

A proper Bullwhippet is more than just a rabbiting dog, and their lack of size only goes to test them more, but personally I think you are better off with either a rabbiting dog or a Bullgreyhound which makes it more effective for bigger things

Don't get that statement... Lack of size only goes to test them more... 

Do you want to have small dogs so you can push them closer to breaking? 

Every dog can be tested, they're all just flesh and bone so I don't understand why you'd give them a size disadvantage to test em. 

Not digging you out but that thought process was always a strange one to me. 

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Don't get that statement... Lack of size only goes to test them more... 

Do you want to have small dogs so you can push them closer to breaking? 

Every dog can be tested, they're all just flesh and bone so I don't understand why you'd give them a size disadvantage to test em. 

Not digging you out but that thought process was always a strange one to me. 

I think you misunderstood me slightly. If you read it again Im only saying lack of size tests them more which of course it does if they go to work in the proper way. I am not saying that anyone wants it. Btw you can only test gameness under duress obviously.

Thats why in the old days they baited bears and Bulls. Dogs that kill anything quickly can only be tested for killing, you cant know if its game. It doesnt say it isnt but you cant know. You dont want to "push them to breaking" as you put it but rather push them to NOT breaking.

I also said you are better with a Bull Greyhound (because of the size difference obviously) because its more effective. Or it was back when these things were legal.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, jeemes said:

I think you misunderstood me slightly. If you read it again Im only saying lack of size tests them more which of course it does if they go to work in the proper way. I am not saying that anyone wants it. Btw you can only test gameness under duress obviously.

Thats why in the old days they baited bears and Bulls. Dogs that kill anything quickly can only be tested for killing, you cant know if its game. It doesnt say it isnt but you cant know. You dont want to "push them to breaking" as you put it but rather push them to NOT breaking.

I also said you are better with a Bull Greyhound (because of the size difference obviously) because its more effective. Or it was back when these things were legal.

I've seen enough tough little dogs to give them a bit of admiration how couldn't you but they were never for me and each to their own and all that but if I'm gonna hunt something then I want it dead as quickly as possible and without much fuss, all the heart in the world won't kiil stuff if it ain't got the ability. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I don't think it's ethical hunting using an underpowered dog, for the game hunted or the dogs. It is admirable watching the little dogs punch way above their weight but in some instances you can see the vet bills piling up.

All my dogs are fully ethical. The rabbits love it.

• Like 1