11 hours ago, jukel123 said:

Me and the wife took a trip along the A69 last week.( No puns please.) We stopped at Haltwhistle for a meal. 

We passed an army of kids with a ragged army of lurchers,  terriers and mongrels . They were proudly carrying a hare and a couple of rabbits.

Made our day!

f**k your shitty, ridiculous laws. You cannot control natural instincts and a way of life.

What's that got to do with red deer? f**k knows.

Used to be heaving along the side of the A69 with rabbits but sadly hardly see any now.

Haltwhistle used to be alive with rabbits had some great days and  nights there.

• Like 1

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me and the wife took a trip along the A69 last week.( No puns please.) We stopped at Haltwhistle for a meal.  We passed an army of kids with a ragged army of lurchers,  terriers and mongrels . Th

Ye olde Tyneside stag, he'll be about a score now, still plodding on living in an area well away from any more of his own species, it'll be about 18 year ago the first time I met him in a derelict far

He’s a pet in the Rising Sun Country Park.  Me and LDR first saw him about 14 years ago when lamping the area. He’s tame. He can’t go anywhere, the park is now surrounded by housing development

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Used to be heaving along the side of the A69 with rabbits but sadly hardly see any now.

Haltwhistle used to be alive with rabbits had some great days and  nights there.

I had permission on a farm inear Haltwhistle There were literally thousands of rabbits on it.

Within one season they had gone  victim to the new viral disease.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Anyone know if there's any fallow still around in Northumberland that escaped from the deer park that old woman had near Rothbury ?

Ive never seen any.

Cheers.

They are in Hulme park at Alnwick and a small population somewhere out the back of Otterburn ranges ..cant remember the name of the place. I know of a guy who has shot them.

I have shot them in the park.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Anyone know if there's any fallow still around in Northumberland that escaped from the deer park that old woman had near Rothbury ?

Ive never seen any.

Cheers.

There's a herd of fallow up on the coastal fields, only seen them the once must have been a good 40 of them, seen them over at Otterburn aswell

• Like 1

While we are on the subject of deer in Northumberland, have you lads seen any muntjac ?

Some years ago I was in the Black Cock pub at the foot of Kielder dam and got talking to some ‘keepers, they said muntjac had been introduced to Kielder forest, and I saw one running past the log cabin I was renting during a four day fishing trip.

Also saw one in the lamp nearer home across the motorway from Horsley.

Also saw one dead on the side of the A69 near Wallbottle.

But I’ve lamped and daywalked all that area for many years, and they were my only sightings. 
I know they are as far up as Sunderland, but they seem very rare this side of the river.

Cheers.

They are in Durham around Sedgefield, Wynyard and Darlington.  I have personally seen 1 at Sedgefield and was there when 1 was shot at Wynyard.

Never seen any in Northumberland. 

Did see a pic of 1 a lad found run over near Prudhoe. 

Who knows who has released any but the Durham population originated from lurcher lads catching then down South and releasing up North.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

While we are on the subject of deer in Northumberland, have you lads seen any muntjac ?

Some years ago I was in the Black Cock pub at the foot of Kielder dam and got talking to some ‘keepers, they said muntjac had been introduced to Kielder forest, and I saw one running past the log cabin I was renting during a four day fishing trip.

Also saw one in the lamp nearer home across the motorway from Horsley.

Also saw one dead on the side of the A69 near Wallbottle.

But I’ve lamped and daywalked all that area for many years, and they were my only sightings. 
I know they are as far up as Sunderland, but they seem very rare this side of the river.

Cheers.

I remember a crank telling me there was 6 herd of muntjac at swallow marsh, this was about 20 year ago, the lad claims to get out on the beating line, and just goes for the big stuff with his lurchers, but I've never seen him do anything, or even seen any of his dogs, if muntjac were a herd species surely they'd all live together in a place as small as that, I had a drift around Norfolk a couple of year ago that's the only place I've seen any Muntjac, I'd like to go back down and stay for a good while, seemed an interesting place with a lot to see, but it was very warm inland even in may it was like north east heatwave weather

19 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

I remember a crank telling me there was 6 herd of muntjac at swallow marsh, this was about 20 year ago, the lad claims to get out on the beating line, and just goes for the big stuff with his lurchers, but I've never seen him do anything, or even seen any of his dogs, if muntjac were a herd species surely they'd all live together in a place as small as that, I had a drift around Norfolk a couple of year ago that's the only place I've seen any Muntjac, I'd like to go back down and stay for a good while, seemed an interesting place with a lot to see, but it was very warm inland even in may it was like north east heatwave weather

is it a bit barren up north lpd i can find all species a deer in a 20 min drive of my house 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

is it a bit barren up north lpd i can find all species a deer in a 20 min drive of my house 

Yeah, it’s barren up here mate ! Pointless you, or anyone else coming up here for a run, better off staying where you are or heading south……..

Cheers.

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

They are far more secretive than the roe, Gloucestershire is heaving with them on the lamp and trail cams but very rarely encounter them with the dogs on a daytime walk occasionally rattle one along the dry ditch in the hedge bottom but they don’t like breaking cover and seem more nocturnal ?

9F495A4B-76A3-45A7-A405-2F385A6A660A.jpeg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, mC HULL said:

There's nothing but adders, and trip hazard strewn energy sapping heather, and the odd derelict pizza hut, head south young grasshopper Boston maybe  :hmm:

Edited by low plains drifter
Margherita