Ye olde Tyneside stag, he'll be about a score now, still plodding on living in an area well away from any more of his own species, it'll be about 18 year ago the first time I met him in a derelict farm yard in the middle of the night, he found his home a few mile up the road from that farm, and seems happy enough amongst the horses

IMG_20230511_161531.jpg

IMG_20230511_161608.jpg

• Like 9

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me and the wife took a trip along the A69 last week.( No puns please.) We stopped at Haltwhistle for a meal.  We passed an army of kids with a ragged army of lurchers,  terriers and mongrels . Th

Ye olde Tyneside stag, he'll be about a score now, still plodding on living in an area well away from any more of his own species, it'll be about 18 year ago the first time I met him in a derelict far

He’s a pet in the Rising Sun Country Park.  Me and LDR first saw him about 14 years ago when lamping the area. He’s tame. He can’t go anywhere, the park is now surrounded by housing development

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

Ye olde Tyneside stag, he'll be about a score now, still plodding on living in an area well away from any more of his own species, it'll be about 18 year ago the first time I met him in a derelict farm yard in the middle of the night, he found his home a few mile up the road from that farm, and seems happy enough amongst the horses

IMG_20230511_161531.jpg

IMG_20230511_161608.jpg

Interesting, what's the story behind the Geordie stag.......... You know? 

3 minutes ago, mackem said:

Interesting, what's the story behind the Geordie stag.......... You know? 

I can only assume that somebody has picked him up as a calf as sometimes happens, then he's been released at some point, there's no Red deer anywhere near here, I know the Roe can be seen on the fish quay, and even been seen on the pier, and longsands etc, but the Red is a mystery

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He’s a pet in the Rising Sun Country Park. 
Me and LDR first saw him about 14 years ago when lamping the area. He’s tame.

He can’t go anywhere, the park is now surrounded by housing developments. It used to be a great place for hares, around the pit heap, long since completely landscaped.

The Rising Sun Whippet track is still there, as is the Barking Dog Pub. We used to walk from the Longbenton area to the track with our whippets and run a few hares there and back in the 60’s.

Cheers.

• Like 7
1 minute ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Surprised hes never been nabbed being  near Longbenton ?

If you want deer Gosforth Park is on the doorstep, one of the biggest roe population in England.

To be honest, I don’t know anyone in Longbenton with lurchers now, my brother still has one, but I got him a Terkel and he’s more into ferreting.

Cheers.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

He’s a pet in the Rising Sun Country Park. 
Me and LDR first saw him about 14 years ago when lamping the area. He’s tame.

He can’t go anywhere, the park is now surrounded by housing developments. It used to be a great place for hares, around the pit heap, long since completely landscaped.

The Rising Sun Whippet track is still there, as is the Barking Dog Pub. We used to walk from the Longbenton area to the track with our whippets and run a few hares there and back in the 60’s.

Cheers.

I don't know if he still does with him being the age he is, but he used to go missing for some time every year, there used to be a photographer who spent a lot of time watching him and the foxes that were there, he told me that, there was another fella with some gundogs who I hear used to find the antlers, they're throwing the new builds up at a rapid rate, it was a bit of a sickener to see the big field at the hill being built on, and now the farm on the other side of the road, I remember the old cafe at the visitors centre being called the leaping hare, used to be plenty there, and the habitat to go with them

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

If you want deer Gosforth Park is on the doorstep, one of the biggest roe population in England.

To be honest, I don’t know anyone in Longbenton with lurchers now, my brother still has one, but I got him a Terkel and he’s more into ferreting.

Cheers.

I saw a brace of young paraffins with a smart looking saluki bred young dog last year on Longbenton estate, incidentally I'm a bit of a paraffin myself 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

I saw a brace of young paraffins with a smart looking saluki bred young dog last year on Longbenton estate, incidentally I'm a bit of a paraffin myself 

I’ll ask about the saluki next time I’m in the Charnwood.

Cheers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, low plains drifter said:

What's a paraffin?

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Yes theres a few in there but nothing compared to ground down South.

I hear they're being managed now, I don't know if they always have been, or if they've just started recently, I counted seven in one field, and eight a couple of fields further down the road a few weeks ago