On 04/05/2023 at 08:16, DIDO.1 said:

Anyone collect or store gold? 

I'm mainly buying silver but looking to add more gold sovereigns to my stack. Every time I look at the price it's so high it's unbelievable....so I wait....and it just goes higher! 

5 years ago it was under £1000 an ounce. Last night it hit an all time high at well over 1600. 

I first bought a gold sovereign in 2005! Wish I'd bought £10,000 worth then! It was £243 an ounce in 2005! Now well  over 1600. I haven't even got the brain power to work out what my inheritance would be worth today if I'd invested it in gold,  rather than spunking it on bullfights and pheasant shooting.

Go gold; much better return .Bought from a dealer Silver is   VAT rated so the price has to rise a lot before you are in profit.

Not that l have any of either.?

Edited by comanche

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you meet a guy in a bar and he is chatting about his Krugerand collection it’s like “Yeah mate Zzzzzzzzzz” If you meet a guy in a bar and he is chatting about life and death epic Hemingway typ

Yeah I've been picking up coins and bullion for a while. Started with the metal detecting then I started buying a few different bits. I buy war medals as well.  You can still buy unresearched med

You invested in something far more valuable than a few bits of yellow metal,experiences and yourself.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Welsh_red said:

Do people keep their gold in a sensitive box somewhere ? Can't imagine keeping it in the house is a good idea 

A gypsy guy I know wears a lot of gold. He's got gold necklaces which rival a super rich rap performer. He says his fingers are too fat for anybody to remove his gold rings. I don't like to tell him that wouldn't stop certain determined robbers.

1 hour ago, jukel123 said:

A gypsy guy I know wears a lot of gold. He's got gold necklaces which rival a super rich rap performer. He says his fingers are too fat for anybody to remove his gold rings. I don't like to tell him that wouldn't stop certain determined robbers.

Had a black guy in work with me last few days 6 grand bracelet and a mouth full of gold teeth, looked fckn hideous

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, mackem said:

Did you get any gold DIDO, would you buy coins or a bar to stash away? Best place to buy it? 

Yeah I've been picking up coins and bullion for a while. Started with the metal detecting then I started buying a few different bits. I buy war medals as well. 

You can still buy unresearched medals cheaply.....do the research, add all the information to the medals, add any photos you can find of the soldier, his house, his grave, his regiment.....then sell em in the area he was from and you can double your money. 

Same with Roman coins, you can buy em really cheaply, then research them and make up some nice coin capsules with the emperor and dates on and a £5 coin becomes £15 easily. 

I'm currently trying to fill coin tubes with silver bullion coins and gold sovereigns. Just nice and steadily away. I'm the sort of person who will walk into decathlon shop and come out with a snorkel and a bow and arrow and declare I'm taking up under water archery.....I can waste money!!!! So my side plan has always been collecting and buying shiney stuff because ultimately it will hold alot increase in value. I can perhaps start a stall at collectors markets when I retire to top up my pension.....so I've got a hobby now that I can sell in the future. I'll take some pics of my Roman coins ect next time I get them out. 

Loads of online bullion coin dealers like 'bullion by post' do good deals. I've just got a good deal on sovereigns from one called Chard's in Blackpool. I prefer coins to bars because of easy resale. Though I have some bars that snap down into 1g denominations that I like. 

Just find a good 'we buy your gold' type shops and most will do you good deals when you get to know em. A local one to me gives me sovereigns at gold spot price plus a tenner. Often pick up all types of coins from him, he can't be bothered researching em. Just paid £25 for a big silver crown currently selling on eBay for £60 plus. If I don't sell it in my retirement then my lad can sell it when I'm gone.

I keep my expanding collection in the gun shop! A mate has taken over half a really big local gunshop, he sells clothing and archery stuff from there but I've now got access to an ex pistol gun safe in his office, which in itself is a strong room in a secure shop ?. Normally though I'd just say a small ammunition safe or gun cabinet well hidden, and tell nobody.

PXL_20230506_130829410.jpg

PXL_20230511_125849608.jpg

PXL_20230511_125844418.jpg

PXL_20230510_081723029.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I've got some gold  coins you can have mate. Just send me your address.:whistling:

A friend of mine discovered a roman coin. Research revealed it to be awarded to somebody who had served 25 years in the roman army. The coin entitled the bearer to a pension and an acre of land in Italy. I have sleepless nights wondering whether the bloke ,lost all his benefits along with the coin.Lol.

I have a military coin which belonged to my grandad.  It was awarded for service in the Boer war. I also have a photo of him looking out of the bars of a glasshouse. He apparently went apeshit when he lost a  boxing match even though his sergeant said he had clearly won. Drink and going   apeshit is a family failing.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
45 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

I've got some gold  coins you can have mate. Just send me your address.:whistling:

A friend of mine discovered a roman coin. Research revealed it to be awarded to somebody who had served 25 years in the roman army. The coin entitled the bearer to a pension and an acre of land in Italy. I have sleepless nights wondering whether the bloke ,lost all his benefits along with the coin.Lol.

I have a military coin which belonged to my grandad.  It was awarded for service in the Boer war. I also have a photo of him looking out of the bars of a glasshouse. He apparently went apeshit when he lost a  boxing match even though his sergeant said he had clearly won. Drink and going   apeshit is a family failing.

Boer war medals are nice to looking things, especially with all the clasps on the ribbons 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

hope you don’t get caught poaching or your house is searched and they will be took 

The Mackem is a man of mystery…..no one knows his abode or where he will appear next in his search for gastronomical excellency.

He is fluent in Tagalog, Pashtun, Thai and the dialects of the Kush.

Its only people like me who can recognise the subtle inflection of the Sunderland dialect that could betray his existence ! 

But as Brothers of the Craft we are sworn to secrecy……. On pain of excommunication.

Cheers.

• Haha 4
  • 5 months later...

It hit its all time high yesterday, krugerrands are 2000euros!

Wish I dipped my toe into them when I first ever started looking at them! But cant complain.

WAR, what is it good for....gold prices.