New football thread

On 01/02/2023 at 09:11, chartpolski said:

As the old saying goes, "there's lies, damned lies, and statistics".

This quick Google says Newcastle are the 5th biggest spenders in the Premier, one place below West Ham, and a long way short of Chelsea and Man United.

WWW.FOOTBALL365.COM

Forget the league table, it's all about the Premier League net spend table. Man Utd have been hauled in by Chelsea.

But I wasn't on about how much they've spent, rather the way they are spending it, on players like Botman, Isaks, hardly household names.

Stiff, I think the fans are divided on Gordon. Some think he's an up and coming young player, others think he's a diver, and a temperamental liability, they remember his antics when he last played against Newcastle.

Personally, I'll wait and see, but I don't think he's worth £45 million, but in today's inflated market, who knows ?

Cheers.

Its probably how id try to look at it if i was in that position but trying to justify the way your club spends huge foreign wealth isnt a position id like to be in as a traditional old football club......much as i may envy the " success " aspect from a fans point of view i really dont envy the justification amongst long standing fans/long standing rivalries etc......ive said for a while now,if it happens to my club that will probably be the end for me as an honest active fan following the club through rain and storm.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

West Ham fans in town all day and not a murmur until wives/families get attacked by " ultras " at the game itself.....embarrassing !! There was a handful of chaps on each stairwell stopping them

Lived in the same street as Beardsley when we were younger. He always was a mile ahead of the rest in skill as a kid. I saw him in a Marie Currie hospice a couple of years ago, he was handing out

My Hammers will struggle this year ,some fans want Moyse gone but personally i cant see the point we have a manager thats proved he can improve the club,owners willing to throw money at it.....at what

Posted Images

On 01/02/2023 at 19:59, Dutch said:

Saturday will be a good game the form they’re in. 

Yeah I’m gutted to see him go, I thought he may have got a chance this season as we’re struggling at RB. Coufal’s form seems to be picking up a bit… not sure what’s happened to Johnson. 

He's a good kid i remember watching him in the youths and thinking however good he is he's not one to get up and down the wing,more like a good old fashioned right back/defender and maybe thats not enough in todays game....Ben Johnson i think had his head turned at the start of the season although personally im not sure he's top notch anyway....hence for me again,the mystery with Ashby going.

44 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Its probably how id try to look at it if i was in that position but trying to justify the way your club spends huge foreign wealth isnt a position id like to be in as a traditional old football club......much as i may envy the " success " aspect from a fans point of view i really dont envy the justification amongst long standing fans/long standing rivalries etc......ive said for a while now,if it happens to my club that will probably be the end for me as an honest active fan following the club through rain and storm.

But I’m not trying to justify anything. I’m pointing out that Newcastles new found wealth hasn’t made them the mega spenders some people think. They are staying within the Fair Play Rules and are no means the biggest spenders in the Premier according to most estimates, with even, as I pointed out, spending less than the likes of West Ham, and far less than the likes of Chelsea, Man U and City.

Im in a rather unique position of having Saudi family and connections, so I understand that having Saudi backing the team I’ve supported through thick and thin may not resonate quite as much as for someone else, you may be right in saying the mega bucks take overs are not right for you, but I’d bet my bank managers life that 99% of the people moaning about Newcastles takeover, would be dancing in the streets if it was their club !

Anyhow, I’m enjoying watching the toon now, for the first time in a long while, and it seems a lot of neutrals are as well.

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

He's a good kid i remember watching him in the youths and thinking however good he is he's not one to get up and down the wing,more like a good old fashioned right back/defender and maybe thats not enough in todays game....Ben Johnson i think had his head turned at the start of the season although personally im not sure he's top notch anyway....hence for me again,the mystery with Ashby going.

Johnson’s a good squad player as he’s versatile but not good enough for the starting line up in todays game. I always thought Fredricks had potential with his pace, when he wasn’t injured

Aguerd looks decent - love a centre half with pace ⚒

Reckon Kehrer should switch to holding mid? Doesn’t look a bad footballer but is a liability at the back

47 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Johnson’s a good squad player as he’s versatile but not good enough for the starting line up in todays game. I always thought Fredricks had potential with his pace, when he wasn’t injured

Aguerd looks decent - love a centre half with pace ⚒

Reckon Kehrer should switch to holding mid? Doesn’t look a bad footballer but is a liability at the back

Never mind all that i keep hearing terrifying rumours about Mourinho putting himself forward for Moyse job ?

Think thats just a bit more than i could take !!

9 hours ago, chartpolski said:

But I’m not trying to justify anything. I’m pointing out that Newcastles new found wealth hasn’t made them the mega spenders some people think. They are staying within the Fair Play Rules and are no means the biggest spenders in the Premier according to most estimates, with even, as I pointed out, spending less than the likes of West Ham, and far less than the likes of Chelsea, Man U and City.

Im in a rather unique position of having Saudi family and connections, so I understand that having Saudi backing the team I’ve supported through thick and thin may not resonate quite as much as for someone else, you may be right in saying the mega bucks take overs are not right for you, but I’d bet my bank managers life that 99% of the people moaning about Newcastles takeover, would be dancing in the streets if it was their club !

Anyhow, I’m enjoying watching the toon now, for the first time in a long while, and it seems a lot of neutrals are as well.

Cheers.

However they spend their wealth is irrelevant its still been put on a plate for them and gains no sporting respect whatsoever....if they've spent more than they have in previous seasons then its made a difference,and they have.

Im not entirely sure why you keep referring to West Hams spending....West Ham is owned by locals and doesnt benefit from the sudden foreign wealth the likes of City/Newcastle etc have seen.

And no i totally disagree 99% of fans wouldnt be dancing in the street....not true fans anyway........ive had the conversation with folk up and down the country and most people know their club....particularly your traditional old clubs,most fans dread such a takeover.

I only mention West Ham as you put a link up that inferred Newcastle had spent more than any other Premier team

Other reports show that to be far from the fact, and some reports have West Ham spending more.

But, whatever, I respect your view, but the face of professional football has changed massively, you are happy with your team, and I'm happier with my team than I have ever been.

So, if we are both enjoying our respective teams.......everyone's a winner !

Cheers.

It's funny I would rather watch non league non of this var rubbish and were human error plays it part like it always did before var talking points in the pub or on the way home but having watched fylde a few seasons it's been a breathe of fresh air proper tackles no diving about lads playing the game but the level of investment now in theses clubs is surprising they have league level stadiums I was talking to one of the blokes at fylde he told me exactly what goes in to the day to day running of theses clubs and the expense involved it was certainly a eye opener 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Never mind all that i keep hearing terrifying rumours about Mourinho putting himself forward for Moyse job ?

Think thats just a bit more than i could take !!

Might be why the players put a shift in Saturday - they don’t want him either

i may be wrong but I couldn’t imagine Sullivan getting on with him as he’s very loose lipped to the journos

• Like 1
On 07/02/2023 at 21:10, chartpolski said:

I only mention West Ham as you put a link up that inferred Newcastle had spent more than any other Premier team

Other reports show that to be far from the fact, and some reports have West Ham spending more.

But, whatever, I respect your view, but the face of professional football has changed massively, you are happy with your team, and I'm happier with my team than I have ever been.

So, if we are both enjoying our respective teams.......everyone's a winner !

Cheers.

At the end of the day whatever the true spending figures are Newcastle are no longer the club you and other Newcastle fans grew up supporting.....they will never again be the " local club for local people " and yes maybe thats the way of the modern game......but i find it hard to believe any true honest old school club fan would be happy with it,they might say they are because they have no choice......but again,the majority of fans ive spoken to over the years are like myself and dread such change as its no longer the " our club " mindset that traditional old clubs hold dear.

On 07/02/2023 at 21:47, Blackmag said:

It's funny I would rather watch non league non of this var rubbish and were human error plays it part like it always did before var talking points in the pub or on the way home but having watched fylde a few seasons it's been a breathe of fresh air proper tackles no diving about lads playing the game but the level of investment now in theses clubs is surprising they have league level stadiums I was talking to one of the blokes at fylde he told me exactly what goes in to the day to day running of theses clubs and the expense involved it was certainly a eye opener 

The gap has become too far....the whole love of football for me was always that its the same game whether its you and your mates playing shirts v skins over the park or Arsenal v Liverpool in the FA Cup Final......but theres just too much now between levels.....just heard today little Southend Utd look like going to the wall....it was only a few years ago they were comfortable in Division 1......if the FA wasnt so busy trying to dictate to society about how progressive and woke everyone should be they could be actively protecting the game and supporting the clubs playing it.

• Like 3
On 07/02/2023 at 11:01, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

I agree with most of  what you say. Eddie Howe is the  best England manager since Clough,I'm pleased to see him doing so well with a club which has a bit of money to splash about. He deserves it.

As for the Saudi ownership,no, not for me. My club Man U is up for sale and one of the favourites to buy is a Quatari sheikh. I don't want Man U being bought by a sheikh or any big business conglomerate. I would rather the Glazers  went bust and we  ended up in non league. The game has come too remote from the people that made it. I bet 75% of the  crowd at Man U have no connection to Salford whatsoever. Sorry NEWKID and Stiff lol.

Yours,

Bitter old man lol

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

I agree with most of  what you say. Eddie Howe is the  best England manager since Clough,I'm pleased to see him doing so well with a club which has a bit of money to splash about. He deserves it.

As for the Saudi ownership,no, not for me. My club Man U is up for sale and one of the favourites to buy is a Quatari sheikh. I don't want Man U being bought by a sheikh or any big business conglomerate. I would rather the Glazers  went bust and we  ended up in non league. The game has come too remote from the people that made it. I bet 75% of the  crowd at Man U have no connection to Salford whatsoever. Sorry NEWKID and Stiff lol.

Yours,

Bitter old man lol

Saudi Telecom, a company wholly owned by the Saudi Royal family and part of the same P.I.F. that are the major owners of Newcastle, have been sponsoring Manchester United for years,

WWW.REUTERS.COM

Saudi Telecom Co (STC) is set to sign a marketing deal with football club Manchester United that could be worth $18.6 million (9.3 million pounds), a spokesman...

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
Just now, chartpolski said:

Saudi Telecom, a company wholly owned by the Saudi Royal family and part of the same P.I.F. that are the major owners of Newcastle, have been sponsoring Man Hester United for years,

WWW.REUTERS.COM

Saudi Telecom Co (STC) is set to sign a marketing deal with football club Manchester United that could be worth $18.6 million (9.3 million pounds), a spokesman...

Cheers.

f**k off.lol Sponsorship is one thing...ownership is another.

• Like 2