New football thread

1 minute ago, Blackmag said:

I totally agree but the way there set up suppresses most of them any manager in Europe would love this group of players I think a manager that was  a bit less defensive and allows players to express themselves more would get much more out of this squad 

Funny, I've had this chat a few times mate, Southgate sets up quote offensive when you look at it.. he uses 2 deep midfielders so his full backs can bomb on..usually making at leat 5 in attack... he plays 3 up front, but both fullbacks go up together.. it needs fairly rigid midfielders to do this, Rice is brilliant at it and Phillips ain't bad either... when you've got Kane, Bellingham, Forden, Walker, Trippier/Shaw, Rashford/Grealish and Saka making a front 5 it works... problem with games like tonight is Moldova don't commit at all to attack, so there is no room to work in, it's stifled, a 1-1 draw is a massive result for them, in tournament football teams have to come out and play at some point. I think we should judge a little on what he's achieved so far personally.. they should win something, I hope they do partly for his sake, I think he gets unnecessary stick personally 

• Like 3

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

West Ham fans in town all day and not a murmur until wives/families get attacked by " ultras " at the game itself.....embarrassing !! There was a handful of chaps on each stairwell stopping them

The way we've treated Moyse is f****n disgusting....im not against a new manager it probably is the right time but theres ways of doing things and the man deserves respect and a good send off yet we'v

My Mrs is like west ham , kicking off every five minutes 🤣

Posted Images

11 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Funny, I've had this chat a few times mate, Southgate sets up quote offensive when you look at it.. he uses 2 deep midfielders so his full backs can bomb on..usually making at leat 5 in attack... he plays 3 up front, but both fullbacks go up together.. it needs fairly rigid midfielders to do this, Rice is brilliant at it and Phillips ain't bad either... when you've got Kane, Bellingham, Forden, Walker, Trippier/Shaw, Rashford/Grealish and Saka making a front 5 it works... problem with games like tonight is Moldova don't commit at all to attack, so there is no room to work in, it's stifled, a 1-1 draw is a massive result for them, in tournament football teams have to come out and play at some point. I think we should judge a little on what he's achieved so far personally.. they should win something, I hope they do partly for his sake, I think he gets unnecessary stick personally 

He hasn't done badly, but I've always felt his appointment was an FA committee decision. He rose through  the ranks and is, in a sense, the FA'S chosen golden boy. He is the kind of man who never goes off message, is sensible but ultimately very boring.

Personally I would prefer an English club manager who has won promotions and trophies . You need a manager who is tactically astute, but who is also a battle hardened, inspirational leader. Spirit , resilience,and balls in a team can often be imbued by a charismatic manager. Southgate will never be that bloke.

Edited by jukel123
21 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

He hasn't done badly, but I've always felt his appointment was an FA committee decision. He rose through  the ranks and is, in a sense, the FA'S chosen golden boy. He is the kind of man who never goes off message, is sensible but ultimately very boring.

Personally I would prefer an English club manager who has won promotions and trophies . You need a manager who is tactically astute, but who is also a battle hardened, inspirational leader. Spirit , resilience,and balls in a team can often be imbued by a charismatic manager. Southgate will never be that bloke.

I think club management is completely different to international management ?

If you coach a squad of players for a few seasons you can nail in a culture, an ethic, a way of doing things that underlines everything you do and is understood by everyone….it’s a whole club ethos.

I don’t see how you can do that when you only have players for 6 or 8 weeks a year and they are coming from different set ups that do have that ?

So I don’t think the successful club manager necessarily translates to the international manager ? 
I think Southgate has been frankly the second best we have ever seen (West Ham winning the World Cup was obviously the best) …….I think that lad thinks about stuff, he is smart and that is there for all to see with his record as England manager. 

28 minutes ago, WILF said:

I think club management is completely different to international management ?

If you coach a squad of players for a few seasons you can nail in a culture, an ethic, a way of doing things that underlines everything you do and is understood by everyone….it’s a whole club ethos.

I don’t see how you can do that when you only have players for 6 or 8 weeks a year and they are coming from different set ups that do have that ?

So I don’t think the successful club manager necessarily translates to the international manager ? 
I think Southgate has been frankly the second best we have ever seen (West Ham winning the World Cup was obviously the best) …….I think that lad thinks about stuff, he is smart and that is there for all to see with his record as England manager. 

Nah, with the exception of Mourhino, the best  managers, international or club, have been there, seen  it and done it. Bobby  Robson and Terry Venables imbued the lads with spirit and came very  close. Look what Jack Charlton did with Ireland....tactical nous and a big 'f**k you' personality. Far too scary for the FA to consider__ too much of an independent thinker.

That true  genius of the game, Brian Clough was a maverick who the FA would not appoint because they knew he held them in contempt. Southgate is the FA'S poodle. 

This is the type of guy we want.

Lol.

Edited by jukel123

Hypocritical of me really because I’m condoning at International level what I loath at club level, but Southgate (imho) sets his team out very well for a desired result in any given game ( Please nobody mention the “M” word, I know, I f***ing know ! Lol ) 

He has the second highest win ration after Capello and the second best placing after Ramsey (who used West Ham to win the World Cup…..did I mention that before ? Lol ) 

I think the true mark of what he has done is that people like us are actually talking in terms of England winning things and meaning it rather than just hopeful chit chat.

I think he also understands that the “kick em all up the arse and throw some fucks around” mentality would probably have the opposite effect on todays elite players….much as I can relate to the John Sitton dressing room style it just don’t have much place in the modern game.

Clever coach’s know it’s about building relationships not about bullying people into things……you can throw as many fucks as you like at a struggling young player and he won’t get any better, all you will succeed in doing is crushing him…..then the squad see that happen and you loose them, they just think you are a prick ! 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, WILF said:

Hypocritical of me really because I’m condoning at International level what I loath at club level, but Southgate (imho) sets his team out very well for a desired result in any given game ( Please nobody mention the “M” word, I know, I f***ing know ! Lol ) 

He has the second highest win ration after Capello and the second best placing after Ramsey (who used West Ham to win the World Cup…..did I mention that before ? Lol ) 

I think the true mark of what he has done is that people like us are actually talking in terms of England winning things and meaning it rather than just hopeful chit chat.

I think he also understands that the “kick em all up the arse and throw some fucks around” mentality would probably have the opposite effect on todays elite players….much as I can relate to the John Sitton dressing room style it just don’t have much place in the modern game.

Clever coach’s know it’s about building relationships not about bullying people into things……you can throw as many fucks as you like at a struggling young player and he won’t get any better, all you will succeed in doing is crushing him…..then the squad see that happen and you loose them, they just think you are a prick ! 

Exactly that, he is very tactically astute imo.. he always qualifies easily (remember our struggles in the past, last gasp free kick from Becks against Greece, no qualifying for USA etc). And he sets his sides up to progress in tournaments, the Germans have done it for years, hardly swashbuckling football but they are historically brilliant in tournaments.

It's like he can't win, he's the closest to win a tournament since Ramsey but we now want to play 7 up front and be entertained....3 a penalty from winning the Euros, Semi Final in the world Cup previous, a Kane missed penalty from provably reaching the World Cup final last time, I think we'd of beat Argentina as well...but its that bit of luck that always goes against us...

This is seriously the first time since the 96 Euros I think we have a squad of players who can properly compete with the best, Southgate had brought through these young lads, the England set up is built to win things now, from U19s through to seniors...He had a good record with the u21s, he is happy to play young lads early, something we've all wanted for years... I think he is built for international football, it just suits him... I also think the squad do respect him and actually like him, Hoddle, Capello, Sven all divided opinions from players, they had an absolute wealth of talent but wasted it...

Nah, Southgates alright in my book, I think  Eddie Howe is a fantastic young English manager, he could be next in line...bit perhaps club management suits him better? After that where do you go? Who would do a better job? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Exactly that, he is very tactically astute imo.. he always qualifies easily (remember our struggles in the past, last gasp free kick from Becks against Greece, no qualifying for USA etc). And he sets his sides up to progress in tournaments, the Germans have done it for years, hardly swashbuckling football but they are historically brilliant in tournaments.

It's like he can't win, he's the closest to win a tournament since Ramsey but we now want to play 7 up front and be entertained....3 a penalty from winning the Euros, Semi Final in the world Cup previous, a Kane missed penalty from provably reaching the World Cup final last time, I think we'd of beat Argentina as well...but its that bit of luck that always goes against us...

This is seriously the first time since the 96 Euros I think we have a squad of players who can properly compete with the best, Southgate had brought through these young lads, the England set up is built to win things now, from U19s through to seniors...He had a good record with the u21s, he is happy to play young lads early, something we've all wanted for years... I think he is built for international football, it just suits him... I also think the squad do respect him and actually like him, Hoddle, Capello, Sven all divided opinions from players, they had an absolute wealth of talent but wasted it...

Nah, Southgates alright in my book, I think  Eddie Howe is a fantastic young English manager, he could be next in line...bit perhaps club management suits him better? After that where do you go? Who would do a better job? 

Just checking, but did I mention West Ham won the World Cup ? Lol 

Good post mate, spot on I reckon.

Im not being 

1 hour ago, WILF said:

Just checking, but did I mention West Ham won the World Cup ? Lol 

Good post mate, spot on I reckon.

Do you think the 66 England team could survive a season in the premiership without being relegated? I think it would be close. Maybe if they packed in drinking and smoking and  ate/trained to the  modern game. They would need at least 6 months  to adapt to modern tactics. Hurst and J Charlton would  definitely struggle imo. I don't know if you've ever watched  the cup final back? The marking is comical. Having said that Moore, B Charlton and Peters were class players and another incredible talent, Greavsie, was benched.

I know it's a daft question really, but I watched  the final through a month or so back and it was like watching a different game  compared to the super skilled modern game we have now.

I remember watching the 66 game live but I didn't realise what an achievement it was at the time. I knew it was huge game but I thought it was because we were playing Germany only 21 years after the war. Looking back, it was treated as quite a low key affair, but then interest in the game has exploded since then.

Edited by jukel123

To my untrained eye they have looked over the last two games like there was a lack of energy or like any urgency in there passing  even when they went behind they are playing Malta and Moldova at the end of the day and a one point even going in to the opposition half were playing the ball more back to pickford than rashford or wakins im not expecting to roll teams six seven nil every game but given the level of opposition and the team he had out I would of thought they would of made things a bit easier  for themselves over those 2 games 

• Like 1

I am amazed that the vote went "our" way. Should be interesting. The NUFC owners are switched on though, can see them playing only good cards if any. Our only problem, hole to fill, is the ban of the Italian, the rest are just injuries that every club has to manage.