8 weeks.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

big no for me getting them that early.. 8 weeks plus 10 weeks even better...I think it's daft saying there getting nothing from the mother or siblings...there learning how to be dog... let's

Lol.. some of the replies are golden Your raising pups not lion cubs lol Also seems folk just want shot of the wee terriorsts instead of watching observing and loving the future prospects.

In my experience, most bitches snarl and snap at pups after 5 weeks. The pups scratch the bitch's teats with paws and milk teeth. The bitch gets mugged by the pups for a few minutes and then she has t

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

8 week ? pups i had similar time would have had the bitch dead the teeth at 4 week was ruining the bitch red raw 

ive never seen pups feeding on the bitch at 8 week mate 

dead.....lol

1 minute ago, jukel123 said:

What's the story behind that wound?

just a photo off images mate but i’ve seen bitches by 5 week get a little tear in most used teeter and they  will rip em open like that in blink of an eye if you leave em on the bitch to long 

i’ve always going by 3 and half week they want weaning give bitch a rest once teeth are there it’s rotten on the bitch 

Just now, mC HULL said:

just a photo off images mate but i’ve seen bitches by 5 week get a little tear in most used teeter and they  will rip em open like that in blink of an eye if you leave em on the bitch to long 

i’ve always going by 3 and half week they want weaning give bitch a rest once teeth are there it’s rotten on the bitch 

My Mrs used to make tiny woolen mittens for pups so that they wouldn't be so sore on the bitch lol

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, jukel123 said:

My Mrs used to make tiny woolen mittens for pups so that they wouldn't be so sore on the bitch lol

that’s it never done it like but like idea  ?

but always keep nails trimmed but once teeth are there you can’t do out really can you 

Edited by mC HULL
  • Like 1
Just now, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

You can keep the teeth down with a chainsaw file 

Yeah we did that too but I was frightened do gooders might complain so didn't mention  it. I used to extract the canines with pliers too. It was no problem, they grow new ones.  Any antis or vegans reading  this. It was a f****n joke, relax.Lol

Edited by jukel123
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, jukel123 said:

I think the law says a pup must be eight weeks old before sale. I've always preferred to get a pup around 5 to 6 weeks. My reasoning is the pup isn't getting much from a bitch after 5 weeks and they are stuck in a run learning nothing. I get a tin of Lactol  a heat lamp and have the pup alternating between house and kennel with a laid back adult dog. I figure that way it's learning more and accepting its new circumstances without any fuss. The longer you leave it before bringing a pup home the greater the chance it will take a longer time to settle. Opinions?

I read a book about the American guide dogs experiences with dog breeding. Initially they relied on donated dogs and had a 96% failure rate. They started breeding their own dogs in order to get a better success rate. During this process they monitored every aspect of the program. After hundreds of matings and thousands of tests they came to several conclusions. First was that the optimum time to seperate pups from bitches was 8 weeks. Any earlier caused longer training times as the pups seemed to be immature.  Any later, especially after 10 weeks often resulted in pups not progressing enough to start training. 

Just now, Nicepix said:

I read a book about the American guide dogs experiences with dog breeding. Initially they relied on donated dogs and had a 96% failure rate. They started breeding their own dogs in order to get a better success rate. During this process they monitored every aspect of the program. After hundreds of matings and thousands of tests they came to several conclusions. First was that the optimum time to seperate pups from bitches was 8 weeks. Any earlier caused longer training times as the pups seemed to be immature.  Any later, especially after 10 weeks often resulted in pups not progressing enough to start training. 

Fair. Interesting.?

2 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

never done out like that mate id just have em weaned by 5 week and bitch getting some well deserved rest ? 

Was only joking ? I’ve always kept feeding the pups off the bitch til about 8 weeks but separated her from them at about 6 weeks but put her with them for 10 mins about 3 times a day to drain her off till there around 8 weeks as her tits would be busting and thought it would be a shame to waste the milk 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

Was only joking ? I’ve always kept feeding the pups off the bitch til about 8 weeks but separated her from them at about 6 weeks but put her with them for 10 mins about 3 times a day to drain her off till there around 8 weeks as her tits would be busting and thought it would be a shame to waste the milk 

? ?some bitches can handle the battering better then others 

id have bitch off em by 5 and cut food drink dry her up ? 

Edited by mC HULL

Off topic, but I watch a programme called Animal Cops, its based in the states. They often get called to dig out pups which have  been whelped under sheds etc. I've never seen a pup be aggressive they always go into submission mode. Wild kittens, as I know from experience, generally bite and scratch like crazy.

Both dogs and cats have been around man for a similar period? I guess, but cats are instinctively distrustful of man whilst dogs are just the opposite. Why?