8 weeks.

I’m a one for letting a pup be a pup .If you ever chance to breed a litter and keep the lot watch how things develop .From 5 weeks to about 8 the pups want to be together in a ball when they arnt playing or feeding .From 8 weeks they play together but if given space they are happy to find a spot to sleep alone .From 10 weeks on they are very much individuals and should be treated as such .IMO 5-8 weeks is far too early to take a pup from its siblings .For that very same reason with the last litter or rather pup singular I bred I went out my way to get another pup to keep it company and to play with .A mate gave me a slightly older pup at 5 weeks that the bitch immediately took to .Pups need the company of other pups until such time as they find their own place in the order of things .

Id never accept a pup under 8 weeks but nor would I want a pup of older than 12 weeks .Around a year it’s different but a pup needs to fit in early or it struggles to find its place in a pack .

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

big no for me getting them that early.. 8 weeks plus 10 weeks even better...I think it's daft saying there getting nothing from the mother or siblings...there learning how to be dog... let's

Lol.. some of the replies are golden Your raising pups not lion cubs lol Also seems folk just want shot of the wee terriorsts instead of watching observing and loving the future prospects.

In my experience, most bitches snarl and snap at pups after 5 weeks. The pups scratch the bitch's teats with paws and milk teeth. The bitch gets mugged by the pups for a few minutes and then she has t

Posted Images

I’m a one for letting a pup be a pup .If you ever chance to breed a litter and keep the lot watch how things develop .From 5 weeks to about 8 the pups want to be together in a ball when they arnt playing or feeding .From 8 weeks they play together but if given space they are happy to find a spot to sleep alone .From 10 weeks on they are very much individuals and should be treated as such .IMO 5-8 weeks is far too early to take a pup from its siblings .For that very same reason with the last litter or rather pup singular I bred I went out my way to get another pup to keep it company and to play with .A mate gave me a slightly older pup at 5 weeks that the bitch immediately took to .Pups need the company of other pups until such time as they find their own place in the order of things .

Id never accept a pup under 8 weeks but nor would I want a pup of older than 12 weeks .Around a year it’s different but a pup needs to fit in early or it struggles to find its place in a pack .

14 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Off topic, but I watch a programme called Animal Cops, its based in the states. They often get called to dig out pups which have  been whelped under sheds etc. I've never seen a pup be aggressive they always go into submission mode. Wild kittens, as I know from experience, generally bite and scratch like crazy.

Both dogs and cats have been around man for a similar period? I guess, but cats are instinctively distrustful of man whilst dogs are just the opposite. Why?

me pal had a litter a terrier on a piece a land bitch  took the pups and put em in a warren weaned em on rats ? he would take em to  the welp box she be off with em again it was crazy to watch he left her to it in the end ? 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

when i’ve had litters there up about fighting like f**k chasing about by 4-5 week old mate 

Lol.. some of the replies are golden

Your raising pups not lion cubs lol

Also seems folk just want shot of the wee terriorsts instead of watching observing and loving the future prospects.

I personally try and keep them all to there about 11 to 12 weeks old...and there still given away for free no expense spared and raised on best of Lidl 20% fat chicken wings chicken thighs sardines some kibble and plenty of fresh vegetables and well wormed....they all get the run of a big yard there kept all clean and well socialized... They will be allowed to sort out any litter mates squabbles between themselves and their mother within reason of course.

They will have been on a lead they will have been in the house and they will have met every other family members in the yard as in their older cousins aunts uncles so on...they will have been out in terrier boxes in the van been to fields seen some stock and all will be quiet confident pups...I usually keep at least 2 pups from litters and choose as best I can were they go... And I never need Epsom salts or any of that ... I've seen a bitch still let pups at 12 weeks suckle the last out of her.... 

Just the way I do things.

IMG20220527115046.jpg

IMG20220523144225.jpg

IMG-20221204-WA0001.jpg

Edited by stop.end
Added a few pictures
  • Like 6
5 minutes ago, stop.end said:

Lol.. some of the replies are golden

Your raising pups not lion cubs lol

Also seems folk just want shot of the wee terriorsts instead of watching observing and loving the future prospects.

I personally try and keep them all to there about 11 to 12 weeks old...and there still given away for free no expense spared and raised on best of Lidl 20% fat chicken wings chicken thighs sardines some kibble and plenty of fresh vegetables and well wormed....they all get the run of a big yard there kept all clean and well socialized... They will be allowed to sort out any litter mates squabbles between themselves and their mother within reason of course.

They will have been on a lead they will have been in the house and they will have met every other family members in the yard as in their older cousins aunts uncles so on...they will have been out in terrier boxes in the van been to fields seen some stock and all will be quiet confident pups...I usually keep at least 2 pups from litters and choose as best I can were they go... And I never need Epsom salts or any of that ... I've seen a bitch still let pups at 12 weeks suckle the last out of her.... 

Just the way I do things.

you must be raising some right dull pups ? 12 weeks still suckling ? why would you want the bitch getting hammer for that long ?

i worm the bitch from 7 week with panacure until a few days after birth then the pups every 2 week by  3and half week there already on mince goats milk and bits and bobs plus arden grange puppy kibble 

sociaised with kids my dog pup seems sound ? 93520084-9CC3-46C3-A764-2849961371F7.png.c5bdcfa239ee3d2e73c6281b7d32f637.png

3 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

you must be raising some right dull pups ? 12 weeks still suckling ? why would you want the bitch getting hammer for that long ?

i worm the bitch from 7 week with panacure until a few days after birth then the pups every 2 week by  3and half week there already on mince goats milk and bits and bobs plus arden grange puppy kibble 

sociaised with kids my dog pup seems sound ? 93520084-9CC3-46C3-A764-2849961371F7.png.c5bdcfa239ee3d2e73c6281b7d32f637.png

Lol.. IL bite for a minute because I'm bored chunk.... Bitch get hammered lol.. wise up your niavety is shining through... Do you think there steady on the tit... They will have been weaned at 3 week... The bitch will put manners in anything any pup does ..if she doesn't like it... There teeth rip there tits lol.. I'm walking from this convo now..good evening to you.

• Like 1
Just now, stop.end said:

Lol.. IL bite for a minute because I'm bored chunk.... Bitch get hammered lol.. wise up your niavety is shining through... Do you think there steady on the tit... They will have been weaned at 3 week... The bitch will put manners in anything any pup does ..if she doesn't like it... There teeth rip there tits lol.. I'm walking from this convo now..good evening to you.

Oh come on stay for abit it's Xmas 

• Haha 1