7 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

Boxing, muay Thai, and Brazilian jiu-jitsu is the combination for a successful mixed martial artist, not jeet kun do, not karate, not taekwondo, not putting any style down, but it is the full on real way of training in Boxing and muay Thai that teach you how to go toe to toe hitting heavy, and taking the impact. looking back at karate competitors, Andy Hug, Francisco Filho, and Semmy Schilt, they must have had a good bit of coaching on Thai pads to be able to compete in K1, the practice of 1 technique kicking a big oblong shield over and over again isn't realistic like focus pads, Thai pads, bag work,shadow boxing etc. Somebody should make a pad video for everyone to have a :icon_eek: at 

?‍♂️

I wasn’t saying jeet kun do is what you need to practice to be a good mma fighter what I was saying is that was the first basic form of mma. It has been refined and honed to what it is now but Bruce Lee was the one with the imagination to combine a multitude of fighting techniques which gave birth to the idea of mma. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's been some heavy threads lately, so I went in the loft to find some pics that might lighten things up a bit. I found some old pics from around 45 years ago when I challenged a Shotokan Int

All have to start somewhere but all the  training in the world aren't going to give someone the bollocks when the shit hits the fan. Having said that, a little bit of knowledge will usually get people

Just seems like taunting someone who's got learning difficulties to me..... wankers by the sounds of them 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, socks said:

I wasn’t saying jeet kun do is what you need to practice to be a good mma fighter what I was saying is that was the first basic form of mma. It has been refined and honed to what it is now but Bruce Lee was the one with the imagination to combine a multitude of fighting techniques which gave birth to the idea of mma. 

Be water my friend  ?

9 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

Boxing, muay Thai, and Brazilian jiu-jitsu is the combination for a successful mixed martial artist, not jeet kun do, not karate, not taekwondo, not putting any style down, but it is the full on real way of training in Boxing and muay Thai that teach you how to go toe to toe hitting heavy, and taking the impact. looking back at karate competitors, Andy Hug, Francisco Filho, and Semmy Schilt, they must have had a good bit of coaching on Thai pads to be able to compete in K1, the practice of 1 technique kicking a big oblong shield over and over again isn't realistic like focus pads, Thai pads, bag work,shadow boxing etc. Somebody should make a pad video for everyone to have a :icon_eek: at 

?‍♂️

what you smoking mate ? 

muay thai does get used effectively but if you trace it back it leads to traditional martial arts and the chinks  and no muay thai fighters do well in the ufc ?

boxing what boxers are in the ufc ?

brazillian jiu jitsu is just jiu jitsu someone stuck brazillian in front of and forgot how to strike  ? 

1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

what you smoking mate ? 

muay thai does get used effectively but if you trace it back it leads to traditional martial arts and the chinks  and no muay thai fighters do well in the ufc ?

boxing what boxers are in the ufc ?

brazillian jiu jitsu is just jiu jitsu someone stuck brazillian in front of and forgot how to strike  ? 

I was referring to the training methods, and their effectiveness of preparing for the competition, nothing against traditional martial arts 

Young Grasshopper

• Haha 2

All have to start somewhere but all the  training in the world aren't going to give someone the bollocks when the shit hits the fan. Having said that, a little bit of knowledge will usually get people through the average street scuffle so giving kids a bit of knowledge isn't a bad idea 20220605_113851.jpg.47948aeb9ce52dfc5690f0f30f34bbc7.jpg20220507_143922.jpg.c5ce25d345ea23edb22987952ffd7454.jpg20220129_115424.jpg.83b22fd7fc214cbe6d4851591a091c4e.jpg20221117_200925.jpg.8bf0d22a8ccfc642ee080776c32d0ee3.jpg

Ps last pic. That's a boy year older than her she's putting down. 

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 8
5 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

I was referring to the training methods, and their effectiveness of preparing for the competition, nothing against traditional martial arts 

Young Grasshopper

I think we are on the same page ?

On 13/12/2022 at 23:44, socks said:

Yes it was a philosophy and a way of being which is true of all eastern martial arts. But jeet kun do is a taught and practised form of martial arts that was designed perfected and taught by Bruce Lee. It’s widely acknowledged as the forerunner to mma. It is a serious martial art that is designed to be brutal and effective in a fight not look good dancing around a dojo. 

I get what you're saying my point was that both wrestling and boxing are " used " far more in mma than true martial arts....bjj probably plays more of a role than any martial art so the original point that Karate has its place within the confines of a real fight doesnt stack up.

For clarity ive never taken a blind bit of notice when it comes to martial arts and have no interest in it whatsoever for the reasons ive already explained its only that upon realising years ago that my flexibility and suppleness had suffered over the years i started doing a bit of Yoga which i really like,well the woman who teaches it is Chinese and into something called Choi Kwang Do and is very familiar with all the martial arts/Bruce Lee etc.....she has often said the cultural differences are clear and that beyond health/fitness its a mystery to her why Karate and suchlike caught on in the Western world as much as it did.

Edited by gnasher16
2 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

I get what you're saying my point was that both wrestling and boxing are " used " far more in mma than true martial arts....bjj probably plays more of a role than any martial art so the original point that Karate has its place within the confines of a real fight doesnt stack up.

For clarity ive never taken a blind bit of notice when it comes to martial arts and have no interest in it whatsoever for the reasons ive already explained its only that upon realising years ago that my flexibility and suppleness had suffered over the years i started doing a bit of Yoga which i really like,well the woman who teaches it is Chinese and into something called Choi Kwang Do and is very familiar with all the martial arts/Bruce Lee etc.....she has always said the cultural differences are clear and has often said that beyond health/fitness its a mystery to her why Karate and suchlike caught on in the Western world as much as it did.

As it was pushed by charlatans into a gullible public caught up in the mysticism of the east . 

the idea that you can block a kick with your hand / arm has been dispatched readily since the mma format grown in perception . 

• Thanks 1
On 14/12/2022 at 00:22, mC HULL said:

some of the best strikers ever have a karate background mist of the kick-boxers started with karate king fu and taekwondo it’s stand up striking mma is mixed martial arts not just one and karate has been successful in the ufc 

Stone me its like talking to a Frog !.....a smack in the face is a smack in the face the background of how it got there is irrelevant the same as ground and pound isnt actually wrestling but will always be attritbuted to a good wrestling background....again,if Karate worked in a real fight people would use it.....and they dont....thats it.

Muay Thai has evolved into a modern style through the influence of European / Russian systems , look at alistair overreem etc who come from the Dutch style largely taught , front foot based , alternative strikes , much more boxing combinations , left straight , right hook , right high kick etc , as opposed to the much more kick based traditional muay . 

Europeans fight like dogs , Thais fight like cocks as it were . 

10 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

As it was pushed by charlatans into a gullible public caught up in the mysticism of the east . 

the idea that you can block a kick with your hand / arm has been dispatched readily since the mma format grown in perception . 

it caught on most likely because at the time people in the west boxed which against someone who could kick was throw with hands was useless your leg is longer than arms ? 

what makes you think a kick can’t be blocked ? 

Edited by mC HULL
Just now, mC HULL said:

it caught on most likely because at the time people in the west boxed which against someone who could kick was throw with hands was useless your leg is longer than arms ? 

what makes you think a kick can’t be blocked ? 

Are you actually mental ????

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Stone me its like talking to a Frog !.....a smack in the face is a smack in the face the background of how it got there is irrelevant the same as ground and pound isnt actually wrestling but will always be attritbuted to a good wrestling background....again,if Karate worked in a real fight people would use it.....and they dont....thats it.

a kick damages more that’s obvious more weight and greater acceleration a knee or elbow also cause a lot more damage the a fist 

i’ve just put up multiple knockouts by machida from kicks while in a karate stance against all differnet styles so how do you come to the conclusion kicks don’t work ?