Strike Training

1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

Not everywhere 

Aye there are some pockets mate, there are bits up your way I can head up to for a good couple nights and days and see a bunch, but even those are a lot less than they were.

And anyone who says that nationwide we’ve not seen a massive decline in rabbits..... is in denial.

I know you always like an argument but you know what I’m saying ? 

• Like 1

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like your script fellah....? If you need a chat,...call me,... and I'll try to offer a wee bit of advice.....?

Possibly not, unfortunately I don't have it all figured out yet. She's still with me now and even if she doesn't get going and only fulfils her potential as a pot licker and not a pot filler she will

Cheers.

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Aye there are some pockets mate, there are bits up your way I can head up to for a good couple nights and days and see a bunch, but even those are a lot less than they were.

And anyone who says that nationwide we’ve not seen a massive decline in rabbits..... is in denial.

I know you always like an argument but you know what I’m saying ? 

I seen a explosion of population in some places. But time for myxi to knock them out ?

6 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

What you talking about an argument?‍♂️ I just said not everywhere I know a few decent rabbit dogs about here an I know of a few more up around Northumberland an places, so I’ll say it again, not everywhere, make of that what you will, but I’m out ?

Pulling your leg mate don’t worry. 

im sure there are still a few about but they used to be in every town and you could go out most parts of the country and get a decent enough bag of rabbits if you put the effort in. It’s a real shame, bunny bashing is great and hunting them daytime in a good spot is the sport of kings. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

What you talking about an argument?‍♂️ I just said not everywhere I know a few decent rabbit dogs about here an I know of a few more up around Northumberland an places, so I’ll say it again, not everywhere, make of that what you will, but I’m out ?

You said it in a Scottish accent just sounds aggressive 

• Haha 1

It pains me to say it,...(and that is the truth),...but after 60 years of pursuing the Coney,.. much of it on a professional basis, albeit with, and often without,.. permission,..? I honestly believe that with few exceptions,  Nationwide,. the rabbit population is in such a weak state, that I can never see the numbers reaching the heights of the 1980's/1990's ..

And,...alongside this sad prophesy.. there is obviously the spin off from that fact,...and once again,..it makes me sick to the core to say it,...and that is,...the eventual demise,.. of the purest 'rabbiting dog'.....

I am blessed to have enjoyed the game for so many decades, and to have also earned my living, undertaking a task that thrilled my very being, every singly time I walked out,..by day or by night....?

I would urge all keen hunting men to fill your boots,...hunt the Shushi,...use your running dogs and take what you can, when you can....Things are not going to improve,....it is, what it is....

Times, they are  a' changing...?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 5
8 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

It pains me to say it,...(and that is the truth),...but after 60 years of pursuing the Coney,.. much of it on a professional basis, albeit with, and often without,.. permission,..? I honestly believe that with few exceptions,  Nationwide,. the rabbit population is in such a weak state, that I can never see the numbers reaching the heights of the 1980's/1990's ..

And,...alongside this sad prophesy.. there is obviously the spin off from that fact,...and once again,..it makes me sick to the core to say it,...and that is,...the eventual demise,.. of the purest 'rabbiting dog'.....

I am blessed to have enjoyed the game for so many decades, and to have also earned my living, undertaking a task that thrilled my very being, every singly time I walked out,..by day or by night....?

I would urge all keen hunting men to fill your boots,...hunt the Shushi,...use your running dogs and take what you can, when you can....Things are not going to improve,....it is, what it is....

Times, they are  a' changing...?

img Scans348.jpg

Is that 'mink' or 'honey' or  different dog, Phil?

• Like 1

I think the lack of bunnies is why now a lurcher needs to be more versatile than ever before. 
Depending on your poison a it of gun work, catty and just a pal to mooch about with. The days of a hopping over a gate for a quick flash or maybe a bit lamping ? are going quick. Every where is so built up hardly room to swing a cat let alone blast a million candle power 

Image preview

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Terry where you from? Can come here for night or day if ye want pal, show me these easy rabbits folk about ?

West wales mate and thank you for the kind offer. Get this little bitch rocking and a rolling and we see where we are at 

I've heard and also read about the rabbit of the North being easier to catch, my guess would be the the type of ground it calls home, how true it all is I couldn't say, I've also seen a few dogs around here that would catch decent numbers on a night, but not since late 90's early 2000's when I was out and about as a boy with my old man. Personally for me, if we caught 2 or 20 it was something I absolutely loved doing. They may not have been "the best" or seen by others as "top rabbiting dogs" but they certainly gave me some great memories.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

I've heard and also read about the rabbit of the North being easier to catch, my guess would be the the type of ground it calls home, how true it all is I couldn't say, I've also seen a few dogs around here that would catch decent numbers on a night, but not since late 90's early 2000's when I was out and about as a boy with my old man. Personally for me, if we caught 2 or 20 it was something I absolutely loved doing. They may not have been "the best" or seen by others as "top rabbiting dogs" but they certainly gave me some great memories.

Them dales rabbits are so easy the dogs can get bored

• Haha 1

? The easiest rabbits, are the ones hanging on your carrying straps,...nothing is ever certain, until its captured...

The catching of rabbits is a varied old subject, and is not quite as cut and dry as some folk imagine...?

I envy lads who harbour definitive opinions and who are not hampered by the realities of constantly playing away from home...A well known terrier man once said to me, 'that a rabbit is a rabbit',...no matter whereabouts it runs, in the UK... ?

I have hunted throughout the land, and I have not found this to be the case...far more variables than one might think..

Hopefully we shall all have plenty of conies to pursue this Winter,..it would be a crying shame, to say goodbye...?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 3