The Unintended Keeper ( Diary of a keeping blagger )

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Yep those greys are tough little buggers. I've seen them shot in the head many a time and when picking them up they're still alive.

I reckon lb for lb a squirrel is the toughest animal in this country. I’ve also put a hole in a foxes chest big enough to put your fist in and the still run 50 yards . 
             If I don’t find the body , they don’t count on my tally . 

• Like 1

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that’s it for another season  last Saturday was game shooting at its best, lovely clear day, freezing cold and just syndicate members shooting ( and my mate Mosh, but he’s with me, so that’s

Well thank you SL. I have just completed my suspension and read the above posts.  Going forward I will not make any more negative comments and hopefully get this section back to the way it u

So. I’ve decided to start a new thread for the 22/23 season up at the shoot now as you know I’ve been involved with my shoot for a long time ( 15 years or so ) my intention when I joined was to s

Posted Images

1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

I reckon lb for lb a squirrel is the toughest animal in this country. I’ve also put a hole in a foxes chest big enough to put your fist in and the still run 50 yards . 
             If I don’t find the body , they don’t count on my tally . 

I've had them run on 100 yds unaware they are dead , incredible really.

This fox last night though was knocked over and struggling to move , cant believe I never found it this morning with the dog , I thought it would be a formality.  Must be underground or tucked under some tight cover ?

• Like 1

Feeding today so thought I’d go mid afternoon, take the thermal and have a look what’s coming back in as the light dropped, I’m quite happy with what I seen heading back towards the pens and getting up to roost over the piggeries, the beaters will dread it because they are spending their day in the thick bramble cover, we will be a bit limited on drives now as, the oak wood, tip drive, piggeries tree side and probably the roadside drive are all a bit open and cold now, with what I seen today I’m sure we’ll make a day of it on the 7th of January 

the squizzers are getting a bit out of hand up there, shot another 5 but must of easily seen 25 without really looking, I’m going to have to have a day where I just have a walk around, could have a 20 squizzer day I reckon ?

3AA80982-DF69-4127-996C-783BAF53322F.jpeg

75AC1F6D-B813-42AA-89A8-3DE888450E17.jpeg

7F3DE1DB-7DC8-4CB3-AD4C-D77D9B22BF9D.jpeg

DA063505-328A-4082-8516-14B750AE133A.jpeg

C9162719-1A40-444F-B53A-C49F4691346B.jpeg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

If it was a bit closer it would be an ideal place to run a couple of feeders, it’s ok now I’ve cut back on the pheasant feeders, I know which feeders they will be swinging off now before I get to them 

Yep if you've got pheasant feeders no need for anything else but I prefer to mooch about stalking them with the shotty and shooting them fleeing through the trees.

20 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Peanut feeders will outdo corn feeders by a country mile mate .Stick a lid on it and not too expensive either .All real serious squig shooters use them while the part time ,whack a rat types struggle with double figures in a winter ???

Utter bollocks ?? I'd rather be mooching about than freezing my bollocks off sitting in a hide being bored  waiting to shoot a couple off a feeder.

I've had 50 so far this season so not doing bad and pretty much on top of .

20221122_155521.jpg

Another shoot today but just a short morning affair, very pleasant all the same. I let my grandson shoot today and to be honest I have seen him shoot a lot better but he really enjoyed it anyway. He only managed a duck and a pheasant. I am going to get him to the clay ground for some coaching to iron out his problem. Total bag was 38 head. Of which there was 18 mallard, 14 pheasants, 2 Teal, 3 partridge and a really big nice pigeon that my ferret has had for Christmas dinner a day early. 

4E26F3A6-3235-48CD-8D73-95971BDAB46B.jpeg

• Like 6
On 22/12/2022 at 18:45, foxdropper said:

Peanut feeders will outdo corn feeders by a country mile mate .Stick a lid on it and not too expensive either .All real serious squig shooters use them while the part time ,whack a rat types struggle with double figures in a winter ???

Agreed Tim, although I enjoy mooching around after squirrels with a shotgun, peanuts draw them in for a decent tally off the feeders…

FFC2488F-33F0-4632-ABD9-5A798D4FBFD1.jpeg

• Like 2

Without pheasant feeders being out, This time of year squirrel's have just about finished off the Autumn bounty, A peanut feeder is easier and does make a focal point for them to come to. They do out do corn feeders if i am honest but if corn feeders are already down then there is no need to add a peanut feeder. Just my opinion. 

Both methods work , more than one way to skin a cat as they say.

I prefer the sporting way of stalking them with the shotgun, would get bored sitting for hours with only getting a couple of shots. 

Air gun shooting is just target shooting but shotgun gets more varied , running flat out on the ground , running up trees and along branches plus the chance of right and lefts ?

Plus the chance to add other flying quarry to the bag ?

20221018_152000.jpg

• Like 3
11 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Both methods work , more than one way to skin a cat as they say.

I prefer the sporting way of stalking them with the shotgun, would get bored sitting for hours with only getting a couple of shots. 

Air gun shooting is just target shooting but shotgun gets more varied , running flat out on the ground , running up trees and along branches plus the chance of right and lefts ?

Plus the chance to add other flying quarry to the bag ?

20221018_152000.jpg

That’s a cracking mixed bag Mark?

On 22/12/2022 at 19:11, FOXHUNTER said:

Utter bollocks ?? I'd rather be mooching about than freezing my bollocks off sitting in a hide being bored  waiting to shoot a couple off a feeder.

I've had 50 so far this season so not doing bad and pretty much on top of .

20221122_155521.jpg

?I’ll do that in two sessions on the feeder mate .

• Haha 1