The Unintended Keeper ( Diary of a keeping blagger )

3 hours ago, ianm said:

A mate of mine is a gamekeeper and I help him quite often. He once asked me if I never fancied being a keeper and I told him “ nobody in this country has enough money to entice me into the job “. If he isn’t talking about pheasants he is thinking about them. No I would much rather make good money doing a job I really like then spend whatever time I want in the countryside.

I was offered the job on the estate, said no thank you.

I saw how they like to control you once you are on the payroll.

• Like 2

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that’s it for another season  last Saturday was game shooting at its best, lovely clear day, freezing cold and just syndicate members shooting ( and my mate Mosh, but he’s with me, so that’s

Well thank you SL. I have just completed my suspension and read the above posts.  Going forward I will not make any more negative comments and hopefully get this section back to the way it u

So. I’ve decided to start a new thread for the 22/23 season up at the shoot now as you know I’ve been involved with my shoot for a long time ( 15 years or so ) my intention when I joined was to s

Posted Images

There are some good jobs out there . They tend to be for wealthy families or individuals, who want to provide sport for themselves and their guests. It is a huge expense for them and a statement of their wealth. They tend to provide their keepers with what they need to do the job with good accommodation and salary. But these jobs are few and far between. 
                Jobs for commercial shoots  can be intense and high pressure. They take on young lads fresh from college and spit them out after a season, disillusioned and out of love with keepering. People can see the job through rose tinted glasses. Walking around with a shotgun and a spaniel at your ankle. But that is a small , small part of it . A mate of mine says he feels more like a poultry farmer than a keeper . I had a good few years at the job and enjoyed it , but I’m glad I am out of it and able to do what I want to do now .

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I was offered the job on the estate, said no thank you.

I saw how they like to control you once you are on the payroll.

Like others on this site i am a keen angler, it was once suggested that i apply for a job as a Water Bailiff....i declined fishing is my hobby, i don't want it to be my job as well. So i get the comments on here about keepering's pros and cons. 

• Like 3

Up for a feed this morning a head of Saturdays shoot, not hundreds about but there’s definitely enough to make a day of it, hopefully we’ll be able to put some good birds over the guns and my guest ( a lad off here ) there’s been a good show of woodcock over the past couple of weeks when I’ve been up feeding so fingers crossed a few of them will present themselves from a couple of the drives on Saturday 

A62E29BC-6797-4C8C-9851-6EF3D97B7D86.jpeg

DED3882C-1123-4AE2-B7E5-919C6917B2D2.jpeg

B3B43CA6-C6AB-4FB7-B5E6-56B9E3CE0F48.jpeg

• Like 4