Sightmark Wraith 4K max

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve been a busy lately, doing a fair bit of shooting a night . Now the weather has turned a bit and I don’t want to get a stuck/ filthy  truck or damage the drilling too much . I really needed to sor

I bought a Sightmark Wraith 4k max a while back from Scott county, I did want to get one off Blackwood but they were out of stock , so no disloyalty on my part . I’ve been very impressed so far , sigh

I’m off down Dorset in the SL “ snatch style caravan “ tomorrow . My Mrs said pick somewhere near the beach , so I picked Chesil beach , and I’m bringing my fishing kit . So much for romance .  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, bumpy22 said:

Done the same today but 85gn hpbt20221006_195344.jpg.c4a26347954bd4366dbe5c488325fa59.jpg

Can’t beat your own loads mate . Bit of an expense getting set up but , cheaper and better performance. I don’t know about you but I find it relaxing. Word to the wise bumpy but stock up a bit because all the ammo companies are at full capacity doing military stuff . So nothing coming in this country for a long time . Pretty much what is in the country is all we have got for a year or two . 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

Can’t beat your own loads mate . Bit of an expense getting set up but , cheaper and better performance. I don’t know about you but I find it relaxing. Word to the wise bumpy but stock up a bit because all the ammo companies are at full capacity doing military stuff . So nothing coming in this country for a long time . Pretty much what is in the country is all we have got for a year or two . 

Your deed for the day is done, you managed to spur me on to knocking a few fox droppers up?

B22A5B11-B95C-4441-A8EB-FA499F5F3F65.jpeg.faf8aaafd98d2442e0505acd1497ec54.jpeg

thought sod it so I’m doing a 20 batch of new brass  as well and having a go with the 32gr vmax.. the 40gn factory stuff was accurate but splashed a few, want to see how home grown works!

The x-terminator worked well in the .223 so hopefully it’ll be good in .204, it’s cheaper than reloaded and throws better!

• Like 5
27 minutes ago, si brown said:

Your deed for the day is done, you managed to spur me on to knocking a few fox droppers up?

B22A5B11-B95C-4441-A8EB-FA499F5F3F65.jpeg.faf8aaafd98d2442e0505acd1497ec54.jpeg

thought sod it so I’m doing a 20 batch of new brass  as well and having a go with the 32gr vmax.. the 40gn factory stuff was accurate but splashed a few, want to see how home grown works!

The x-terminator worked well in the .223 so hopefully it’ll be good in .204, it’s cheaper than reloaded and throws better!

Let us know you get on with reloading for  the 204 . I’m in the process of building a practical  .2O with Steve Bowers . Using my old .223 as the donor .

9 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Let us know you get on with reloading for  the 204 . I’m in the process of building a practical  .2O with Steve Bowers . Using my old .223 as the donor .

its a doddle to load for sl, I dont go to wild and will let the loads slip +or- 1/2 grain and when I check the zero on a new batch there more or less bang on to the point I dont re zero.. the 39gn Sierra I loaded are same poi as the 32's I load as well not that ive ever shot a fox with them as the 32gn nosler just work well.. every load ive done will clover at 100yard no problem and that's just going to loading manuals. 

I only picked up the vmax as I was running low but Marcus has got some more nosler back in now.  

my foxing mate is always trying to get me to flog him the .204 cos he recons its quiet, theres no recoil what so ever but I wouldn't say its quiet but that said he uses a 243 for everything 

16 minutes ago, si brown said:

its a doddle to load for sl, I dont go to wild and will let the loads slip +or- 1/2 grain and when I check the zero on a new batch there more or less bang on to the point I dont re zero.. the 39gn Sierra I loaded are same poi as the 32's I load as well not that ive ever shot a fox with them as the 32gn nosler just work well.. every load ive done will clover at 100yard no problem and that's just going to loading manuals. 

I only picked up the vmax as I was running low but Marcus has got some more nosler back in now.  

my foxing mate is always trying to get me to flog him the .204 cos he recons its quiet, theres no recoil what so ever but I wouldn't say its quiet but that said he uses a 243 for everything 

I’ve had a .204 / Tax .20 itch for a while. But after speaking to Steve I think that a .20prac is the way to go for me . 
                  The 6.5 creedmore is an awesome round , but I know I’m just a point and shoot guy ?

17 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I’ve had a .204 / Tax .20 itch for a while. But after speaking to Steve I think that a .20prac is the way to go for me . 
                  The 6.5 creedmore is an awesome round , but I know I’m just a point and shoot guy ?

not sure what the difference is between the 20's.. I know one of them uses a fair bit less powder!

as for point and shoot its a good round, that said dont think ive ever shot anything passed 300yard with any gun.. im happy with an old duplex on me 6,5x55 easy to judge out to 300 not interested at all the clicks up and windage stuff 

Edited by si brown
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, si brown said:

not sure what the difference is between the 20's.. I know one of them uses a fair bit less powder!

as for point and shoot its a good round, that said dont think ive ever shot anything passed 300yard with any gun.. im happy with an old duplex on me 6,5x55 easy to judge out to 300 not interested at all the clicks up and windage stuff 

From my understanding there isn’t a lot of difference in performance with any of the “Wildcat” variants. I think it’s more a case of the easiest to modify from my existing.223 . 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

From my understanding there isn’t a lot of difference in performance with any of the “Wildcat” variants. I think it’s more a case of the easiest to modify from my existing.223 . 

A mate of mine modified a fairly new 223 tikka supervarmint  a couple of years ago. He bought the 223 and then bought a 204 shortly after. It wasn't long before he realised he would never use the 223 again. Now being both left handed rifles which are difficult to get he decided to rebarrel the 223 to 204 instead of selling it. So off we go to Brock and Norris to see Mike Norris whom i have had dealings with before. The rifle was left with him with instructions on what my mate wanted and several months later we picked it up. To say it shoots superbly is an understatement. The 204 is faster and flatter than 20 prac and components ( brass etc ) easier to obtain so i don't really know why you have been advised to go 20 prac. As a night time foxing round the 204 has everything you could wish for if you run it as it was intended to be run. Fast and with 32grn bullets is the way forward. One of my rifles i have used for eleven years now and i bought it from a chap that had used it before me. He gave me some of his homeloads when i bought it and they where only doing 3,200. I soon sorted that out and upped the anti by 1,000fps. I recently bore scoped the barrel at my mates gun shop and it is still very good after all the use it has had, so they aren't barrel burners. I use Hornady 32grn vmax which have been very reliable for me, i have also tried nosler varmageddons 32grn hp and barnes varmint grenades at 26grn hp but the Hornady are my favourite.     

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ianm said:

A mate of mine modified a fairly new 223 tikka supervarmint  a couple of years ago. He bought the 223 and then bought a 204 shortly after. It wasn't long before he realised he would never use the 223 again. Now being both left handed rifles which are difficult to get he decided to rebarrel the 223 to 204 instead of selling it. So off we go to Brock and Norris to see Mike Norris whom i have had dealings with before. The rifle was left with him with instructions on what my mate wanted and several months later we picked it up. To say it shoots superbly is an understatement. The 204 is faster and flatter than 20 prac and components ( brass etc ) easier to obtain so i don't really know why you have been advised to go 20 prac. As a night time foxing round the 204 has everything you could wish for if you run it as it was intended to be run. Fast and with 32grn bullets is the way forward. One of my rifles i have used for eleven years now and i bought it from a chap that had used it before me. He gave me some of his homeloads when i bought it and they where only doing 3,200. I soon sorted that out and upped the anti by 1,000fps. I recently bore scoped the barrel at my mates gun shop and it is still very good after all the use it has had, so they aren't barrel burners. I use Hornady 32grn vmax which have been very reliable for me, i have also tried nosler varmageddons 32grn hp and barnes varmint grenades at 26grn hp but the Hornady are my favourite.     

Thanks for the info . I originally wanted. Tac 20 as a few guys I know have shot them for years . But the guy doing the build came up with different reasons why the prac20 would be better . I will have another chat . ?

Had a 223 years ago. But just use my hmr and 243 for everything for the last ten years or so. But bought a 223again this week so now need to develop a load for it. Only reason being is noise and I want to leave my drone on it permanently. 

Luckily I have stocked up on bullets for 243. Just need to try and sort a round for 223. Mates got some 53gn vmax to try first

• Like 1
5 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Had a 223 years ago. But just use my hmr and 243 for everything for the last ten years or so. But bought a 223again this week so now need to develop a load for it. Only reason being is noise and I want to leave my drone on it permanently. 

Luckily I have stocked up on bullets for 243. Just need to try and sort a round for 223. Mates got some 53gn vmax to try first

The 223 i had really didn't like the 53grn bullets. It was a 1-12" twist and every other bullet out of it would tumble and keyhole the target. I changed to 40grn and it shot well with those.