How's everyone coping with the heat

I've got fans going ,cold mats that's been in the freezer and a pool for ferrets to have a swim and hutches facing the fence to shade them but they still struggling especially the old Jill .

Just wondering what others are doing to get through these temps ,

can only do your best. Only thing I'd add to that is a garden umbrella for extra shade. I'd like to be super confident and say as I've never lost a ferret due to heat it will be fine, but it's never been this hot.  Difficult for an animal that in the wild js resting up underground in the day and would probably be at 15C.

Frozen bottles rotated, reduced there bedding and soaked fake turf. Put them in a chicken coop thing open all sides of an evening when suns gone in, but too hot of a day for them in there black metal and no shade. 

Got mine in a run on the lawn with old fishing brolly over them a seed tray with no holes full of water and frozen chicken wings about midday. Put a ping pong ball floating in the seed tray the two young kits were straight in they could not resist it the older 5 year old have none of that. Spray the whole thing down every now and then.

Had to put little wire hoops around the seed tray little buggers tip out else.

1782805856_Screenshot2022-07-19at08_11_03.jpeg.eba61511e89ac3ea555ffa812d163e1f.jpeg

IMG_6387.JPG.40d6c270dd0a5669bc06e501872df774.JPG

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 7

Down here in Australia we in the summer we hit temperatures of up to 45 degrees and what I have been doing is I run the fine sprinkler heads they use for ferns it’s a very fine mist and doesn’t use a great deal of water I got the idea from sirbless who is on this site. Before that the same as you guys frozen water bottles and a pond of water. The one I have heard of was a esky with o hole in it as a sleeping box with frozen water bottle in it which I think would work well.  I have looked at doing timers with electric switches to turn on sprinklers but down here when we have heatwaves the power often goes out. Spraying water , ice and a swimming pool all helps even a mud pit . If you are really game bring them in the house with the air conditioning on. That’s something I would definitely would NOT DO. Good luck with it guys it all helps.  Arry good looking ferret you have their. 

• Like 2
On 19/07/2022 at 12:09, Guss33 said:

Down here in Australia we in the summer we hit temperatures of up to 45 degrees and what I have been doing is I run the fine sprinkler heads they use for ferns it’s a very fine mist and doesn’t use a great deal of water I got the idea from sirbless who is on this site. Before that the same as you guys frozen water bottles and a pond of water. The one I have heard of was a esky with o hole in it as a sleeping box with frozen water bottle in it which I think would work well.  I have looked at doing timers with electric switches to turn on sprinklers but down here when we have heatwaves the power often goes out. Spraying water , ice and a swimming pool all helps even a mud pit . If you are really game bring them in the house with the air conditioning on. That’s something I would definitely would NOT DO. Good luck with it guys it all helps.  Arry good looking ferret you have their. 

Couple of sisters mate from a good line think they are going to be big for Gills, I hope so as I lost two big Gills to old age earlier in the year. They don't seem to mind the water my 5 year old Gill runs off if she so much as get a foot wet.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
On 19/07/2022 at 05:38, Moocher71 said:

I've got fans going ,cold mats that's been in the freezer and a pool for ferrets to have a swim and hutches facing the fence to shade them but they still struggling especially the old Jill .

Just wondering what others are doing to get through these temps ,

I use these even when its 45 Celsius the ferrets are still cool Tesmotor Misting Cooling System, 49FT Misting Line + 18 Brass Nozzles Outdoor  Misters for Cooling, Misting System for Patio Garden Lawn Pool Umbrella  Trampoline Patio, Lawn & Garden

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

I'll have a look for them ,nearly lost 3 last couple days but temp dropped a bit now thankfully. 

Same it has been tough luckly I been working from home so was nipping out hosing down hutches every hour or so. Frozen bottles etc. But the old ones really struggle. Also discover soaking hot felt causes it to shrink lol was is pretty obvious I guess :) 

4 hours ago, terryd said:

Same it has been tough luckly I been working from home so was nipping out hosing down hutches every hour or so. Frozen bottles etc. But the old ones really struggle. Also discover soaking hot felt causes it to shrink lol was is pretty obvious I guess :) 

My old Jill is ten now and the Mrs brought her in the house as she kept over heating and we put her in bathroom as it's coolest place ,I'm going to get a mister system as temps going back up again next few days  

• Like 1