Patterdale X whippet?

8 hours ago, Clem said:

Depends what you wanted it for, but I think it would be a handy cross. My “whippet” is 1/4 JRT. Can’t go wrong with a bit of terrier in there.

C4CA7455-D304-4A4C-B8D6-44502B4CF835.jpeg

tidy clem  👍

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Depends what you wanted it for, but I think it would be a handy cross. My “whippet” is 1/4 JRT. Can’t go wrong with a bit of terrier in there.

Pup in pic is bedy whippet x pat whippet and all pups from this litter made good small lurchers ,I never bred this x again but looking back maybe I should have as they all turned out OK 

not as fast as a whippet but faster than a terrier.....

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, fred90 said:

Yes I know exactly what you mean and earth working bedlingtons seem as rare as rocking horse shit. what I call bushing beddy, that work rats, rabbits etc still seem to produce when put to whippets. 

I’ve never had a beddy lurcher so I suppose I can’t really comment. But if I had the choice, I’d go for the patt. I suppose we are all different and a dog has only to please it’s owner. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, socks said:

I’ve gone down the smaller terrier cross lurchers and I must say I’m very impressed. I only need them to work rats and rabbits and they do the jobs perfectly. 

I would expect they see fox as fair game to? Flushing to gun obviously 

3 hours ago, Wideboy said:

Are you joking? It’s night and day between the two. Patterdales are worked a lot more then bedlington terriers. Would you be happier to use a  bedlington over a patt say as a stud dog? 

All depends on what bitch I was putting it over ,lot more patts go to ground but I don't think the bedlington terrier was ever ment for working small earths but rock piles and badger sets and if the patterdale a better option to produce lurchers why wasn't it used that much in the past or in recent times ? I'd rather go with a bedlington stud that's bushing and ratting/rabbiting than a out and out earth dog to produce q lurcher but that my opinion, 

• Like 2
Just now, Wideboy said:

That’s the route I’m heading down when these big ones are gone. 

Yep the big black bitch is unfortunately my last big dog. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Clem said:

C4CA7455-D304-4A4C-B8D6-44502B4CF835.jpeg

Belter.  👍

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

All depends on what bitch I was putting it over ,lot more patts go to ground but I don't think the bedlington terrier was ever ment for working small earths but rock piles and badger sets and if the patterdale a better option to produce lurchers why wasn't it used that much in the past or in recent times ? I'd rather go with a bedlington stud that's bushing and ratting/rabbiting than a out and out earth dog to produce q lurcher but that my opinion, 

beddy crosses can sometimes be bad for f***ing  off bushing when lamping id imagine you get it threw to the pat they will be at the holes all the time 

Edited by mC HULL
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

beddy crosses can sometimes be bad for f***ing  off bushing when lamping id imagine you get it threw to the pat they will be at the holes all the time 

Utter twaddle 

1 minute ago, Black neck said:

Utter twaddle 

i’ve seen some corking beddy crosses lamping blacky but seen a few were nose is to much miss a few they don’t come back out the briars nose is a must for me but too much it’s a nightmare 

1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

i’ve seen some corking beddy crosses lamping blacky but seen a few were nose is to much miss a few they don’t come back out the briars nose is a must for me but too much it’s a nightmare 

Yeah It can happen and some little terrier crosses will go under ,I seen a whippet greyhound go up a pipe in middle o the night and lug summat back 30 foot and out same dog had 2 be dug on other occasions at night ,wernt really what was required tbh 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ive been after a good whippet with a touch of bull or terrier for a while. I find if they aint got a touch of sommat else there abit fragile but alot of crosses aint fast enough in the open need hedges to kill rabbits on the lamp

Edited by C.green
  • Like 1