How did everything get named...

How did it happen...

Someone must of named a "fly" for instance and then everyone else called it a fly..

What about everything else ??

Land,tree,water oxygen, etc..etc.. 

• Haha 1

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lol...brilliant....love these questions...usually from or 4 or 5 year old but still...lol

paraglider /ˈparəɡlʌɪdə/   noun a wide canopy resembling a

Fascinating subject! I'm currently reading a book by Stephen Moss called Mrs Moreau's Warbler which is all about how birds got their names. It really is one of those books where nearly every page I'm

58 minutes ago, king said:

How did it happen...

Someone must of named a "fly" for instance and then everyone else called it a fly..

Most of English derives from Greek Latin ,French ,norse ,some Gaelic a few other bits and pieces ,surprisingly little German considering the Angles were Germanic .

• Like 2
1 hour ago, king said:

How did it happen...

paraglider
/ˈparəɡlʌɪdə/

noun
  1. a wide canopy resembling a parachute that is attached to a person's body by a harness in order to allow them to glide through the air after jumping from or being hauled to a height.

• Haha 6
6 minutes ago, TOMO said:

lol...brilliant....love these questions...usually from or 4 or 5 year old but still...lol

Mate , deep . 
I used to travel from Carlisle to Ipswich and reverse with a lad on Sundays and Fridays . 

some of our convos were amazing ??

I distinctly remember coming up to the a66 turn off at scotch corner and we were in the midst of human evolution

his question of “ how come right , we’re driving along and we’re all humans right , but how mad would it be to see a little family of mice flying along next to us in a tiny car , waving out the window and that ? “ 

answers on a postcard please ???

driving , over familiarity, fatigue and red bull does funny things to you like . 

• Haha 2
9 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:
paraglider
/ˈparəɡlʌɪdə/

noun
  1. a wide canopy resembling a parachute that is attached to a person's body by a harness in order to allow them to glide through the air after jumping from or being hauled to a height.

The question I asked was how did everything get named..

Not the meaning of each word stiff..

• Haha 1

I would guess things got named when early humans started conversing with each other. 

If one bloke saw a certain animal and wanted to tell his pals what it was and where it was he would need a name for it.

It would be no good just running about on all fours and pointing......it could be a deer or a lion and you'd need to know the difference, if not, it could be something to eat, or something that would eat you ?

"Necessity is the mother of invention".

A natural progression from sign language.

Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Actually, "king" is an interesting word.

King, Shah, Tsar, Kaiser, Cesar all derive from the same root.

Also, "check mate" in chess derives from the Persian "shah mort"..."the king is dead".

And so endeth today's lesson ! ??

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
12 hours ago, king said:

How did it happen...

I actually think that’s a massively interesting question and one I’m sure most people have thought about from time to time.

Not really the same thing as “how did these words come into existence” but language, it’s roots, it’s history and it’s connection with peoples past is fascinating I think.

Even regional or national accents are fascinating, why for instance does a Londoner talk English where as someone from Birmingham sounds like they have a mouth full of bicycle inner tubes ? Lol ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, WILF said:

I actually think that’s a massively interesting question and one I’m sure most people have thought about from time to time.

Not really the same thing as “how did these words come into existence” but language, it’s roots, it’s history and it’s connection with peoples past is fascinating I think.

Even regional or national accents are fascinating, why for instance does a Londoner talk English where as someone from Birmingham sounds like they have a mouth full of bicycle inner tubes ? Lol ? 

You are right enough mate accents are a strange thing..

Did a group of people think the way that odd fella talks sounds good and they all copied him etc..

3 minutes ago, king said:

You are right enough mate accents are a strange thing..

Did a group of people think the way that odd fella talks sounds good and they all copied him etc..

I'd say most accents/dialects are a result of foreign influence, invasion, immigration, etc.

The "Geordie" language/accent is heavily influenced by the Scandinavian languages.

"Gannin oot", "gannin yem", "divint", etc are almost the same as in Scandinavian languages

All as a result of the Viking invasions.

Cheers. 

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I'd say most accents/dialects are a result of foreign influence, invasion, immigration, etc.

The "Geordie" language/accent is heavily influenced by the Scandinavian languages.

"Gannin oot", "gannin yem", "divint", etc are almost the same as in Scandinavian languages

All as a result of the Viking invasions.

Cheers. 

So you and I speak fluent viking? ?

3 minutes ago, mackem said:

So you and I speak fluent viking? ?

Why aye ! ??

When I was in Sweden, I noticed the exit signs in buildings said "uitgan" we say gan oot, not sure how the words got reversed, probably like we say "car park" and Europeans say "park car".

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 1