40 years ago today

Cant believe its 40 yrs today, that the falklands conflict began,  seems to me just like yesterday, just thinking about all the lives that were lost from british forces, lost a couple of classmates to it,  those lads would have been 66yrs old now, if they would have got home, sad that they never knew family life, i remember and salute them all. rip.

• Like 19

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cant believe its 40 yrs today, that the falklands conflict began,  seems to me just like yesterday, just thinking about all the lives that were lost from british forces, lost a couple of classmates to

The battle rifle of the falklands was 100% the SLR, yes. Both sides used them. Only units that didn’t would be special forces I think, who by then had armalites. Brit rifles were semiauto and arg

Seemed like the place to post this rather than a new thread. This is RFA Sir Tristram, served in the Falkland’s and even survived being bombed. Can’t be many vessels left from that era now. Maybe

Posted Images

1 hour ago, baker boy said:

A young lad my age was telling us he was finishing down the pit for a life of adventure in the army, died not long after on the Sir Galahad, RIP Mark Libby

I knew a girl from back home who's dad died on the Galahad.

Mrs got couple uncles that served in the navy at the time. One served on hms glasmorgan when it was hit with a exocet killing 14 of his crew mates. When his grandson asked how did he survive his reply was ‘I did as I was told’ that should act as a lesson to him! 

• 2 months later...

Seemed like the place to post this rather than a new thread.

This is RFA Sir Tristram, served in the Falkland’s and even survived being bombed. Can’t be many vessels left from that era now. Maybe only the Conqueror?

We got up close…

1A86148B-4911-4B1B-90B7-4978FF504363.png

60A7DB6C-85EA-498F-86B7-717EF1BBE998.jpeg

76985563-3E5C-48FC-9C8D-91CA13EC37DF.png

• Like 3

I watched every second of footage from that war as it was broadcast when I was a kid, my over riding memory is them taking lads off the Sir Galahad and a lad being brought ashore on a stretcher holding his leg with the bottom half missing in one hand, and a fag in the other like he had just twisted his ankle in a game of football.

It just filled me with pride as a little lad to be born of a nation that bred men like that ! 

The other thing is that @THE STIFFMEISTER is the military equivalent of Simon Westerns eyebrows ! MIA ! Lol ? 

• Like 1

I did a bit of work on the RFA Round Table Class ships before the Falklands war.

I was loaned to Napier to help out overhauling the blowers on the diesels.

I was quite supprised to see the number of Formosan crews and American Engineering Officers.

Cheers.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, WILF said:

I watched every second of footage from that war as it was broadcast when I was a kid, my over riding memory is them taking lads off the Sir Galahad and a lad being brought ashore on a stretcher holding his leg with the bottom half missing in one hand, and a fag in the other like he had just twisted his ankle in a game of football.

It just filled me with pride as a little lad to be born of a nation that bred men like that ! 

The other thing is that @THE STIFFMEISTER is the military equivalent of Simon Westerns eyebrows ! MIA ! Lol ? 

Just realised the Galahad was the same class of ship. That just made this cooler. :laugh:

• Like 1
On 03/04/2022 at 00:18, Born Hunter said:

An incredible accomplishment with the whole world watching. So many aspects of it either make for great reading or fascinating study.

How the hell they planned and executed the Vulcan flights down there… Accomplishment is an understatement! Shows what can happen when you have the right PM for the job ?

• Like 1