Season over. Fk’n barbed wire!

The skin on the inside of a dogs leg is paper thin & rips easy.Its  rare that at least one of my running dogs isn't sporting a rip from barbwire ,I hate the damn stuff ,most of my hunting clothes' has rips by barbwire .I usual just leave the wound on a smooth coated dog to heal by its self ,one that has a hairy coat I shave the hair around the wound,thats all  .Its an area that a dog can lick & clean the wound ,recovery usually takes a couple of weeks before they are ready to get back out there.

• Like 3

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doesn’t look to bad, I wouldn’t be paying £600 to get that stitched, just trim the hair around it and keep it clean and it will heal itself

Lads on a learning curve, he was concerned for the dog which was the right thing. We all live and learn.  Cheers, D.

Always better to care than not...

Posted Images

5 hours ago, toolebox said:

The skin on the inside of a dogs leg is paper thin & rips easy.Its  rare that at least one of my running dogs isn't sporting a rip from barbwire ,I hate the damn stuff ,most of my hunting clothes' has rips by barbwire .I usual just leave the wound on a smooth coated dog to heal by its self ,one that has a hairy coat I shave the hair around the wound,thats all  .Its an area that a dog can lick & clean the wound ,recovery usually takes a couple of weeks before they are ready to get back out there.

I wanted to take this advice and let it heal but i just wasnt sure so went to the vet, i remember my old man used to stitch them and sort them himself but with him passing away i dont have that guidance and it was a first accident for me. id already been to the vets before i put this post up so it was already in motion. I'm that little bit wiser now for next time. Vets are always keen not to let the dog lick the wounds do you think different? i also thought to let them lick it was good... Cheers.

• Like 2

You have a good hearted attitude Sam,...and you have obviously put the welfare of your jukel before anything else.

With experience, ..comes knowledge and confidence, and you kinda get to know, if its a 'Vet Job' ,..or not...?

It's good to see a guy showing a bit of care...our dogs frequently suffer for our passion, and we share in their success?

Therefore, its only right that we foot the bill for all the excitement and pleasure, their athleticism brings us..

All the best for the future,.. regards, OldPhil.?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, OldPhil said:

You have a good hearted attitude Sam,...and you have obviously put the welfare of your jukel before anything else.

With experience, ..comes knowledge and confidence, and you kinda get to know, if its a 'Vet Job' ,..or not...?

It's good to see a guy showing a bit of care...our dogs frequently suffer for our passion, and we share in their success?

Therefore, its only right that we foot the bill for all the excitement and pleasure, their athleticism brings us..

All the best for the future,.. regards, OldPhil.?

!cid_000571320@30122007-2eac.jpg

Thank you appreciate that! Tomorrow will be a year since I picked him up 8 weeks old. Loving it. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

My mutt has earned me far more than any vet bill iv had, he a cnuts trick not to treat her the way she treats me ?

How’s it lookin now? Sorted? 

Sorted now thanks. Stitches coming  out Monday lunch time imagine might be another day or 2 before I can let him off the lead but i don’t know. We’re fed up of 15 minute road walks twice a day now can’t wait to lose the leads. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Samrog said:

Sorted now thanks. Stitches coming  out Monday lunch time imagine might be another day or 2 before I can let him off the lead but i don’t know. We’re fed up of 15 minute road walks twice a day now can’t wait to lose the leads. 

Good man

7 hours ago, Samrog said:

I wanted to take this advice and let it heal but i just wasnt sure so went to the vet, i remember my old man used to stitch them and sort them himself but with him passing away i dont have that guidance and it was a first accident for me. id already been to the vets before i put this post up so it was already in motion. I'm that little bit wiser now for next time. Vets are always keen not to let the dog lick the wounds do you think different? i also thought to let them lick it was good... Cheers.

Any rip in that general area, would of resulted in my dog, taken to the vet .That area of a dog is tricky with the outer skin  ripped such as yours was  ,the plumping only has a thin but tuff interlayer protecting the lower intestines ,any infection in this area could kill a otherwise healthy dog in a matter of hours so Personally, I think you made the right choice.

Regards licking, any dog that wont leave the wound alone, and is always licking, can cause the wound to become wet and soft and that hampers the healing process. What you want to happen is for the dog to keep the wound clean & allow it to repair its self from the inside out ,with more years in the game you will be able to draw on know age  allowing you to make the right calls ,at the moment  you are doing a  fine job  Samrog,well done !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both mine are insured and it has saved me as much as it costs me over the years but means i don't have to think twice about calling the vet any time day or night. Working dogs are always at risk of serious injury and i spend more on things like takeaways in a month than the insurance so seems sensible to me. Plus its so much quicker getting wounds closed rather than waiting for natural healing which means they're back out quicker and lose less fitness and if a dogs insured then just the excess to pay so get it done every time. Then there's the ARSPCA, if you get pulled up and they're involved if they find a dog with an open wound without a history of seeing a vet your buggered. I've a fair bit of experience treating wounds and I would say pretty capable of managing a wound without stitching but why when it can be closed in a few minutes.

edit to add. I must admit Mrs pays the insurance lol.

Edited by sandymere
59 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Both mine are insured and it has saved me as much as it costs me over the years but means i don't have to think twice about calling the vet any time day or night. Working dogs are always at risk of serious injury and i spend more on things like takeaways in a month than the insurance so seems sensible to me. Plus its so much quicker getting wounds closed rather than waiting for natural healing which means they're back out quicker and lose less fitness and if a dogs insured then just the excess to pay so get it done every time. Then there's the ARSPCA, if you get pulled up and they're involved if they find a dog with an open wound without a history of seeing a vet your buggered. I've a fair bit of experience treating wounds and I would say pretty capable of managing a wound without stitching but why when it can be closed in a few minutes.

U don't eat takeaways sandu I can tell by your pert nethers

3 hours ago, sandymere said:

22 quid a month on pet plan for mine and 85quid deposit so its cheap really and its been sorted no questions asked so cant complain. I still felt charging over 600quid that is just greed on vet behalf. Heard of people quoted thousands for procedures and having to tell the vets put the animal down then as we cant afford it only for the vet to say hold on lets see what we can do and then cut the bill down to a 3rd the original cost! But they are a business i suppose and profit matters...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Samrog said:

22 quid a month on pet plan for mine and 85quid deposit so its cheap really and its been sorted no questions asked so cant complain. I still felt charging over 600quid that is just greed on vet behalf. Heard of people quoted thousands for procedures and having to tell the vets put the animal down then as we cant afford it only for the vet to say hold on lets see what we can do and then cut the bill down to a 3rd the original cost! But they are a business i suppose and profit matters...

Penda off here does a bit o veterinary in his shed ,bit rough and he does loose a few but he's cheap 

• Haha 2