Electric chainsaw

This is the first year I've not stacked my log and kindling stores. Normally I spend all year picking logs up from the side of the road and anywhere else I see any. I get a big bag of off cuts from a woodyard I do pest control in to cut for kindling. 

Winter crept up on me this year so I've bought a few logs but fck the price has shot up. Just paid £95 for a big dumpy bag of kiln dried hardwood. That should now get me to the end of winter. 

....anyway this year I'm going back to refusing to pay for logs and filling the store during the summer, so looking for a battery chainsaw to assist with my daily log search. Need something that is quiet for stealth logging and something that's going to last. 

Any experience of em? 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Note to self, never lend bobdown your chainsaw ????

25 degrees inside and all for the coast of a drop of petrol and 10 mins work can’t beat it ?

We have a Mikita one at work seems ok on stuff upto about 6” but as with all chainsaws it’s about keeping the chain sharp rather than blunt it then resharpen, just out of curiosity why do you need to

Posted Images

I use a Makita 36v. Only went for it as most of my battery tools are Makita and I already had half a dozen batteries. Find myself using it more than my petrol Sthil TBH though that would be my first choice if i had a load to cut.

• Like 2

We have a Mikita one at work seems ok on stuff upto about 6” but as with all chainsaws it’s about keeping the chain sharp rather than blunt it then resharpen, just out of curiosity why do you need to be stealthy your only foraging a bit of free wood, I keep a sthil 16” petrol in my van at all times chop up bits 2/3 days a week on my travels never had any problems, if it looks a bit naughty I just put some cones out and get my hi viz on and everyone assumes I,m the man from the council ??

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Stihl...all the way?Screenshot_20220215-104935.png.ff66dbc315658c885abf4757bc31bfc6.png

These are excellent, last year I purchased the range for work. The lads that use em where sceptical at first but now love em.

They are so quiet, fantastic for 'stealth chainsawing'.???

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

We have a Mikita one at work seems ok on stuff upto about 6” but as with all chainsaws it’s about keeping the chain sharp rather than blunt it then resharpen, just out of curiosity why do you need to be stealthy your only foraging a bit of free wood, I keep a sthil 16” petrol in my van at all times chop up bits 2/3 days a week on my travels never had any problems, if it looks a bit naughty I just put some cones out and get my hi viz on and everyone assumes I,m the man from the council ??

Just plenty of places where I think a petrol chainsaw would push the buttons of local busy bodies. There's an apple tree down on the lawn of the local library, been there a month, I'm not bothered about anyone saying anything but the more I can get in the van without anyone saying anything the better ?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

Go with that Stihl?

Have had chainsaws from the 1970s upto present day and would always buy sthil, they have been doing it for decades and have it pretty sewn up, I sold my 70s chainsaw a few years ago to a bloke in New Zealand still going to this day and still able to buy spares for it, so I would also go with the Sthil, if I wanted a cordless drill probably use the other makes mentioned ??

• Like 1
1 hour ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Defo the little sthil they are things of the future, soon enough every tool will be electric/battery powered. 

wonder what the mowers will go like everything a lot lighter no smell of fuel ect.

Hope fully not, the electric stihl saws are shite 

• Like 1

I know it’s not battery but it’s quiet!

I bought it for stepdad year ago and he’s never used it so I nicked it after last bad storm.. it’s a handy little thing. 

Go into farm/ local agri store and get them to fire one up 

57B88CB2-2154-4442-B24D-4525AA150159.jpeg.c511c58069c06eb81e2c368ccf5c9fdb.jpeg

• Like 3

I've got a husky chainsaw and it's nowhere near as good as the equivalent stihl. At the same time as I bought mine 2 mates had huskys that broke or siezed up. 

If got a stihl chainsaw from the 80's that I've made into a rat smoker....nearly 40 years old and starts every time. 

• Like 4