Metal Detecting.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out for couple of hours in a field today two coins, bit gutted worn. A bit of brass that I think horses reins went through. A rivet fro an old belt that probably drove a thrashing machine. And a bit o

A few of the better hammered I’ve found  edward 1st,Henry v1,Elizabeth 1,Henry 111,Mary,James I   

Do a fair bit of detecting found some nice bits, found this the other week when I was walking the dogs part of a Bronze Age flint dagger

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Just looked quite interesting but yeah after so many stolen bikes scooters and shopping trolleys probably get fed up ?

There was pile of em near every canal bridge when magnet fishing first became popular 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Don't know pal, another question, are they the same headphones for all models, are they essential? 

Yeah same more or less. There are 2 sizes of plug, same as when you had a Walkman. 

On rallies and club digs you have to have headphones or the whole field would be a mix of pings and dings from the detectors. Not nessasary for a garret or basic model, need on higher level detectors where you may have to tune your ears in to different tones 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 09/01/2022 at 12:15, mackem said:

Years ago I was in pattaya,I wasn't there to drink or fornicate,so I had my trusty minelab packed, beach road had hundreds of prostitutes sitting around, I ignored them but a couple followed me down onto the sand ? anyway, after a while they drifted off, I could see a head torch sweeping back and forth,it was a Thai detector it's with a dirt cheap Chinese detector ? I did once bump into a Chinese metal detector it's in Hong Kong at repulse Bay when I was there at night also. 

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.a900dea35d0d9e7b264a16f46440c031.jpg

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.0e36a48485ed5c6eedc16081a9f5b210.jpg

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.8eb7b257ab6ff22ddf11f3b01b486b33.jpg

Not even for short time boom boom??

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Not even for short time boom boom??

No mate to be honest, I was there to see a man about a dog, did what I had to do then went north to chiang mai where my old mate lives,I did enjoy bumping into the detectorist swinging his coil (sounds like a euphemism) along the beach ?️?

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

What gets me, how do folk often find things when they go detecting, I mean I should imagine almost every square foot of England that's accessible has been detected, what's crack here like? 

Most detectors search down into the earth like a cone shape, so an inch down you detector coil is covering an 8" circle, 4" down that circle is decreasing, 8" down its only searching a 2" circle on each swing. Now imagine painting a hundred acres with a 2" brush....it would take forever. Now look at all the green fields from the top of a local hill....theres plenty to go at. 

......but yes your right, certain hot spots have been done to death. There's plenty to be found though. I prefare to search for tiny hot spots of my own, look at old maps and find that little stile, well, spring, bridge over a stream etc

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Most detectors search down into the earth like a cone shape, so an inch down you detector coil is covering an 8" circle, 4" down that circle is decreasing, 8" down its only searching a 2" circle on each swing. Now imagine painting a hundred acres with a 2" brush....it would take forever. Now look at all the green fields from the top of a local hill....theres plenty to go at. 

......but yes your right, certain hot spots have been done to death. There's plenty to be found though. I prefare to search for tiny hot spots of my own, look at old maps and find that little stile, well, spring, bridge over a stream etc

I'd always assumed they were just like a CAT scanner but for treasure, they don't work if you're static unless you're pinpointing from what I made out. 

The options are endless where to go but surely if you have thought of a spot or an idea it's already been thought of a hundred times. 

I suppose part of the excitement is the what if. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Greb; Don't forget the beaches ;) Scan a beach as much as you like. Every tide amounts to new possibilities.

5 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Greb; Don't forget the beaches ;) Scan a beach as much as you like. Every tide amounts to new possibilities.

Yes mate, will take it with me now and again. 

Still, there's endless opportunity to become a proper nerd, historical books of the UK, old maps if possible, LIDAR, etc. 

Just got the doubts that someone as been there, done it and bought the wardrobe.