Metal Detecting.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out for couple of hours in a field today two coins, bit gutted worn. A bit of brass that I think horses reins went through. A rivet fro an old belt that probably drove a thrashing machine. And a bit o

A few of the better hammered I’ve found  edward 1st,Henry v1,Elizabeth 1,Henry 111,Mary,James I   

Do a fair bit of detecting found some nice bits, found this the other week when I was walking the dogs part of a Bronze Age flint dagger

Posted Images

3 hours ago, mackem said:

I read a small book he did on metal detecting,possibly finding ambergris, bit of gold-panning, unusual little book. 

most of his books where small , interesting though , remember reading about him sifting soil heaps at building sites in the middle of london in the 70s, wouldnt be allowed today with health and safety laws 

He also had alot of success detecting allotment's and parks , sadly today most parks are non detectable ?  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, steve66 said:

most of his books where small , interesting though , remember reading about him sifting soil heaps at building sites in the middle of london in the 70s, wouldnt be allowed today with health and safety laws 

He also had alot of success detecting allotment's and parks , sadly today most parks are non detectable ?  

Some councils give detecting permission, there's a park where I used to live not far from Hampton Court Palace, huge old trees and there used to be an old mansion on it, it oozed potential, likewise the ploughed fields beside the long walk at Windsor. 

• Like 1

Whats the laws about panning for gold in Canada Mack permit ect ? is there public areas where you can pan 

Seen a youtube vid of a lad panning for gold in the yorkshire dales , always thought the gold in the uk was just in scotland and wales ?

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, steve66 said:

Whats the laws about panning for gold in Canada Mack permit ect ? is there public areas where you can pan 

Just panning no licence is required in ontario, more upmarket with a sluice box you need a prospectors licence which is about £17 a year?There's over 5000 abandoned gold mines in the province. 

I am not a 9-5 type of person, if I didn't have kids and was younger I could see myself going walkabout in Australia fossicking and prospecting, sounds a harsh but fulfilling way to spend a couple of years, but family life and kids kyboshed that sort of thing. 

• Like 2

Think most of us would like a crack at that Mack , when watching these gold programmes and they show these abandoned mine camps i think id love to detect these places to see what relics the miners have left behind 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Out for a few hours yesterday to give my back a rest from gardening Lol, bloody knackered today. Any way few coins two large one in bad nick 1921 penny a Musket Ball a 45 cal bullet buckle quick release dog clip.

Now this lump of lead it weighs exactly one pound and seems beaten into a ball shape with maybe a hole where wire or string could have once been.

You guys that are interested in these thing do you think it's a Steel Yard trade Weight ?

IMG_5434.JPG.19e650cf7c1b3887707b2775dc0fa4ca.JPG

IMG_5436.JPG.01f99b8475bdc00aa5eb504884575be6.JPG

Cheers Arry

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Arry said:

Out for a few hours yesterday to give my back a rest from gardening Lol, bloody knackered today. Any way few coins two large one in bad nick 1921 penny a Musket Ball a 45 cal bullet buckle quick release dog clip.

Now this lump of lead it weighs exactly one pound and seems beaten into a ball shape with maybe a hole where wire or string could have once been.

You guys that are interested in these thing do you think it's a Steel Yard trade Weight ?

IMG_5434.JPG.19e650cf7c1b3887707b2775dc0fa4ca.JPG

IMG_5436.JPG.01f99b8475bdc00aa5eb504884575be6.JPG

Cheers Arry

Is it a rough lead whorl Arry, I have seen decorative ones but that could be just a chunk of lead used as a makeshift one? 

4 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Found this a good few years ago. A bunch of coins tied up in a red checked hanky. 

post-31956-0-99299500-1438191500.jpg

I bet whoever lost it was gutted, the equivalent of a modern day wallet/purse loss.