Ferret locator

We bought one of the new mk1 reproductions to replace a mk3 because we had got down to 2 working mk3 collars. 

it’s fine - works relatively well but it’s like stepping back in time and the 8ft range, I feel is a real hinderance when you are used to the mk3. 

if found and dug ferrets out using it but I would much rather be sticking with the mk3, just a shame that you can’t get collars now so any investment is dead money essentially 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Think you will probably find the new repro Mk1 will pick a 15 foot collar up at 15 foot. The only difference between the old 8 foot Mk1 and the 15 foot Mk1 is the sticker on the thumb wheel and you ca

The bloke I spoke to (Peter) said that an 8ft was easy to make but the 15ft is a lot harder and they were struggling to make them reliable and reasonable sized.    Id agree, the main thing I’ve

I had a few old 15 ft terrier collars,and cut them down and fixed them to new collars, ideal for my hobs,but found my Jill's struggled with them,only difference is a bigger collar that takes 2 batteri

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Dan Newcombe said:

We bought one of the new mk1 reproductions to replace a mk3 because we had got down to 2 working mk3 collars. 

it’s fine - works relatively well but it’s like stepping back in time and the 8ft range, I feel is a real hinderance when you are used to the mk3. 

if found and dug ferrets out using it but I would much rather be sticking with the mk3, just a shame that you can’t get collars now so any investment is dead money essentially 

I messaged the guy that makes these a while ago asking if he could make 15ft boxes he said everyone is wanting 8ft boxes ,  can’t see it my self 

2 hours ago, Dan Newcombe said:

The bloke I spoke to (Peter) said that an 8ft was easy to make but the 15ft is a lot harder and they were struggling to make them reliable and reasonable sized. 

Id agree, the main thing I’ve heard is people wanting a range more than 8ft

I agree 16ft to scan for ferrets is far more preferred imo, together with reasonable pinpointing.

Think you will probably find the new repro Mk1 will pick a 15 foot collar up at 15 foot. The only difference between the old 8 foot Mk1 and the 15 foot Mk1 is the sticker on the thumb wheel and you can buy the stickers on the bay.

It's the collars that are different not the boxes.

Nobody seems to be making new 15 foot collars that the problem.

Cheers Arry

• Like 3

I’d have to look back but I thought he said that 15ft collars wouldn’t work with the box we have bought. 

happy enough with the new mk1 but just wish it worked at a longer range 

il maybe try the mk3 collars with the mk1 knocker box and see if it works for their away

Edited by Dan Newcombe
20 hours ago, Arry said:

Think you will probably find the new repro Mk1 will pick a 15 foot collar up at 15 foot. The only difference between the old 8 foot Mk1 and the 15 foot Mk1 is the sticker on the thumb wheel and you can buy the stickers on the bay.

It's the collars that are different not the boxes.

Nobody seems to be making new 15 foot collars that the problem.

Cheers Arry

I had a few old 15 ft terrier collars,and cut them down and fixed them to new collars, ideal for my hobs,but found my Jill's struggled with them,only difference is a bigger collar that takes 2 batteries?I could pick them up with an 8 ft box...dug 10ft to a young hob few seasons ago in Scotland ?20150929_172402.jpg.4fd0892c96ce76302fee2872f1f6e9af.jpg

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

I had a few old 15 ft terrier collars,and cut them down and fixed them to new collars, ideal for my hobs,but found my Jill's struggled with them,only difference is a bigger collar that takes 2 batteries?I could pick them up with an 8 ft box...dug 10ft to a young hob few seasons ago in Scotland ?20150929_172402.jpg.4fd0892c96ce76302fee2872f1f6e9af.jpg

I only use 15' collars handy for thick hedges 8' just would not cut the mustard. Trouble is 15' ferret collars are like rocking horse shit very few being sold and you cant blame lads for hanging on to them. I gave two of them 15' terrier collars to a lad not far from you, way too big for my ferrets.

I must say looking at the build quality of them repo boxes just from pictures they do look better than Deben's Mk1's. Like you said Sean "two batteries which double the power" to give the 15' distance.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 1
34 minutes ago, Arry said:

I only use 15' collars handy for thick hedges 8' just would not cut the mustard. Trouble is 15' ferret collars are like rocking horse shit very few being sold and you cant blame lads for hanging on to them. I gave two of them 15' terrier collars to a lad not far from you, way too big for my ferrets.

I must say looking at the build quality of them repo boxes just from pictures they do look better than Deben's Mk1's. Like you said Shaun "two batteries which double the power" to give the 15' distance.

Cheers Arry

forgive my ignorance Arry, I have old mk1 box and 8ft collar works as normal. I have been given a 15ft collar, how will it read in the box? if its saying 4ft will the ferrets be at 4ft?or do I double the reading or half it etc.. 

1 minute ago, fred90 said:

forgive my ignorance Arry, I have old mk1 box and 8ft collar works as normal. I have been given a 15ft collar, how will it read in the box? if its saying 4ft will the ferrets be at 4ft?or do I double the reading or half it etc.. 

Yeah roughy double it mate. you might want to experiment with the lower depths. I have seen people write with permanent marker on the back of the box.

Or you could get a new sticker for the thumb wheel off Ebay mate.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 16/12/2021 at 22:12, Dan Newcombe said:

I’d have to look back but I thought he said that 15ft collars wouldn’t work with the box we have bought. 

happy enough with the new mk1 but just wish it worked at a longer range 

il maybe try the mk3 collars with the mk1 knocker box and see if it works for their away

Who did you get your box off as there two people making the reproduction now 

14 minutes ago, cantona said:

The difference with the collars are the caps, the longer the cap the more batteries, so if you put a 15’ cap on 8’ it’s a 15’ collar, a bloke used to sell caps for the terriers that took 4 batteries taking it to 20’ 

on mine the 15ft cap is thinner it won't fit the 8ft one 

• Like 1