One thing no one has mentioned is regarding the use of poisons indoors. For me tbat is a no no. As others have pointed out, rats use spaces between floors and walls to get about and that can be where they nest too. Poison makes them feel unwell and they often take to their beds to die. A dead rat in a cavity can create a terrible smell for weeks. 

• Like 2

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is what there up to now fs

Rats getting into a cavity and loft. 3 visits from council pest controllers, no answers. I suggested a sewer survey as I couldn't get to the job for a while. 2 surveys done by different companies. No

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

One thing no one has mentioned is regarding the use of poisons indoors. For me tbat is a no no. As others have pointed out, rats use spaces between floors and walls to get about and that can be where they nest too. Poison makes them feel unwell and they often take to their beds to die. A dead rat in a cavity can create a terrible smell for weeks. 

Absolutely correct, and not a pleasant smell either.   But I find it rarely happens, the smell will go when the bodily fluids dry up, which can be quite quickly in hot weather, or there are plenty of Deodorising gels about which do a very good job of masking the smell!

:thumbs:

1 hour ago, Deker said:

Absolutely correct, and not a pleasant smell either.   But I find it rarely happens, the smell will go when the bodily fluids dry up, which can be quite quickly in hot weather, or there are plenty of Deodorising gels about which do a very good job of masking the smell!

:thumbs:

The problem can be in locating the carcase(s) and getting access to them. I have heard of people who rent gites out at €1,500+ per week losing over a month's business due to them or a French pestie dropping poison blocks under cupboards for loir (edible dormouse) in summer. I have customers who did that last week for a single mouse problem. The mouse hasn't been seen since and they are on holiday for a week now. My bet is there will be a rancid smell from within the sofa when they get back. 

Edit: I didn't know about the gel Dekers mentioned, but a good covering of rock salt does the job if I can find the body. 

Edited by Nicepix
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Nicepix said:

The problem can be in locating the carcase(s) and getting access to them. I have heard of people who rent gites out at €1,500+ per week losing over a month's business due to them or a French pestie dropping poison blocks under cupboards for loir (edible dormouse) in summer. I have customers who did that last week for a single mouse problem. The mouse hasn't been seen since and they are on holiday for a week now. My bet is there will be a rancid smell from within the sofa when they get back. 

Edit: I didn't know about the gel Dekers mentioned, but a good covering of rock salt does the job if I can find the body. 

They need some of this, you don't have to find the body or get access to it, (it will stop smelling when the bodily fluids are all gone), just put a drop of this down in various areas around the site and the smell is completely masked.  Its VERY strong and lasts a long time, I mean potentially weeks!!!!!

Comes in assorted flavours, mine must be at least 10 years old (shows how rarely I need to use it) but on the handful of occasions I have used it , its been great!!! :thumbs:

013a.jpg.0d2fc5522d5c7bb7974d8dc26892bebe.jpg

Edited by Deker
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
On 18/11/2021 at 12:37, Ferretman65 said:

This is what there up to now fs

IMG-20211117-WA0017.jpg

They off their fecking heads or what ? An since when did the brown rat become a native species ? 
to best of my knowledge not supposed to be released 

but the local predators will be happy picking them off when they are released disorientated ,

clueless twats !

• Like 2
On 17/11/2021 at 17:25, Deker said:

They need some of this, you don't have to find the body or get access to it, (it will stop smelling when the bodily fluids are all gone), just put a drop of this down in various areas around the site and the smell is completely masked.  Its VERY strong and lasts a long time, I mean potentially weeks!!!!!

Comes in assorted flavours, mine must be at least 10 years old (shows how rarely I need to use it) but on the handful of occasions I have used it , its been great!!! :thumbs:

013a.jpg.0d2fc5522d5c7bb7974d8dc26892bebe.jpg

Could have done with some of that yesterday. The customers who put mouse bait down a couple of weeks ago got back from  holiday early yesterday morning and the smell hit them ?

I got there around lunch time and they had identified the source as being in a bedroom. The bedroom is over their lounge where they have a log burner. So I reckoned it was in the void under the bedroom floor.  I found the hole it had been using. As the house has been unheated for a week the mouse was on a slow decay. Now they have the stove going it should dry up.

On 17/11/2021 at 11:43, Nicepix said:

It's  the old conundrum " Would you prefer a live rat or a dead rat in the house Madam?"?

On 19/11/2021 at 23:05, forest of dean redneck said:

They off their fecking heads or what ? An since when did the brown rat become a native species ? 
to best of my knowledge not supposed to be released 

but the local predators will be happy picking them off when they are released disorientated ,

clueless twats !

And once caught they'll never fall for a trap again and might even educate other rats against them.

Edited by comanche
  • Haha 2
52 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

Could have done with some of that yesterday. The customers who put mouse bait down a couple of weeks ago got back from  holiday early yesterday morning and the smell hit them ?

I got there around lunch time and they had identified the source as being in a bedroom. The bedroom is over their lounge where they have a log burner. So I reckoned it was in the void under the bedroom floor.  I found the hole it had been using. As the house has been unheated for a week the mouse was on a slow decay. Now they have the stove going it should dry up.

Those Earth Care odour bags are good. You just hang them near the smell and it absorbs it . Even if the source is behind a wall.  Sort of thing used when a body has been laying unfound in a flat for too long. They are supposed to last 3 months when taken out of their bag . I know from experience that if you only need one for a week or so it can be put back in its  sealed bag and it can be reused later.

Edited by comanche
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. I have used the gravadlax method before. Pouring rock salt over the site stops future smells, but doesn't rid the area of all that residual scent that is clinging to the furniture and curtains.

I don't do much rodent work these days. The typical scenario is the customers ignoring all the early signs of dormice activity then wanting them trapping when they start screaming at the kids. By then it is too late. A nest full of dead young in a void isn't something that adds to the ambience of country life.