What can a terrier catch?

Firstly, I’d like to say I know there’s a huge difference between terriers and running dogs of any kind.

but I have a Lakeland pup just coming up for six months and she’s had the occasional pop at rabbits that we’ve came across on our walks.

Will she ever be quick enough to get one of them? Or will she always be too slow? 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over here, snakes.

If I’m honest about the one on the lamp, it was too busy looking over its shoulder laughing at the deerhound x it didn’t see the Russel bitch that T boned it from left field like a raptor out of Juras

Fleas !.

Posted Images

Just now, Scheme_Lakeland said:

Firstly, I’d like to say I know there’s a huge difference between terriers and running dogs of any kind.

but I have a Lakeland pup just coming up for six months and she’s had the occasional pop at rabbits that we’ve came across on our walks.

Will she ever be quick enough to get one of them? Or will she always be too slow? 

very broad question with a lot of answers....the leggier it is the more chance it will have....( in general )...

i have a border terrier thats not very leggy and is quite stocky ...she does catch rabbits but usually just in the bushes ....

if your aim is hunting rabbits with it....try to train it to retrieve....that one  of mine will not retrieve  so  very often rabbits get left in the thickest of blackberry bushes

We were beating once across September stubbles , my mates patterdale bitch put up a hare and coursed it around  the stubble for a good few minutes eventually catching it , we couldnt believe it neither could the waiting guns. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
51 minutes ago, TOMO said:

very broad question with a lot of answers....the leggier it is the more chance it will have....( in general )...

i have a border terrier thats not very leggy and is quite stocky ...she does catch rabbits but usually just in the bushes ....

if your aim is hunting rabbits with it....try to train it to retrieve....that one  of mine will not retrieve  so  very often rabbits get left in the thickest of blackberry bushes

good advice tomo ?. Next pup, I am going to work hard on the retrieve. all the beddywhippets I have had none have retrieved, 

37 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

We were beating once across September stubbles , my mates patterdale bitch put up a hare and coursed it around  the stubble for a good few minutes eventually catching it , we couldnt believe it neither could the waiting guns. 

Yeh...but I bet it wasn't on the slop

• Haha 1

My brother had a lakie that caught a lot of rabbits, but never in the open.

It caught them in brambles, hedge bottoms and in oilseed rape, and would come out looking like some one had went at it's face with a disc sander !!

Cheers.

11 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Have seen various terriers catch roe deer in the day and also seen one catch a roe on the lamp. All pre ban, the one on the lamp identified as a day time roe so it’s ok. 

young roe deer?

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Our patts used to catch loads of rabbits in the gorse along with pheasants.  

did they bring them back?

1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

My brother had a lakie that caught a lot of rabbits, but never in the open.

It caught them in brambles, hedge bottoms and in oilseed rape, and would come out looking like some one had went at it's face with a disc sander !!

Cheers.

did the bushes leave any long lasting marks?

Rats and rabbits should be your main two quarry species, unless you want to work your terrier underground and then working above i'd just stick to rats.

Loads of stuff a terrier can chance catch, some have been mentioned. I also had a leggy Lakie that cought a couple of hares and had a knack for moles and patridge too.

Just read your question above and terriers love working brambles and will get scratched to bits but it doesn't bother them and with a clean up, shouldn't bother you ?

Have fun... ?

Just now, SheepChaser said:

Full grown mate. 

To be fair the one on the lamp made a deer hound x grey look silly ? 

I don't know much about deer tbf but i would imagine the majority of them in this country are rarely ever attacked or hunted by another animal, wonder if that gives the dog an advantage 

2 minutes ago, Scheme_Lakeland said:

I don't know much about deer tbf but i would imagine the majority of them in this country are rarely ever attacked or hunted by another animal, wonder if that gives the dog an advantage 

If I’m honest about the one on the lamp, it was too busy looking over its shoulder laughing at the deerhound x it didn’t see the Russel bitch that T boned it from left field like a raptor out of Jurassic park ? 

• Haha 5
3 hours ago, Scheme_Lakeland said:

I new a fella who lamped rabbits in local  horse paddocks with a leggy type terriers and both took them so if these russel types did the job dont see why other types wouldn't take coney on the beam , terriers do well in cover and can take good bags if numbers are there and make good ferreting companions as well ,its not all about long runs they just got to give no law and strike like a adder and most terriers do . Like been said terrier types can take all sorts and thrive on work .