• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rambo, 10 months old ready to start learning his job over the spring 

My rabbiting bitch . Keeps me happy

Right,I'll tell ye this ,once only,....cause I don't bother with the horseshit shovelled out in these pathetic debates,Katchum came with another bloke,he transported back 6 of the pups to England ,he

Posted Images

A tough one that Greb the lads that have had the pleasure of the pure breds haven't scratched the surface to be fair I see the world over thanks to the internet but everyone in the main is looking for saluki there is more out there tazi etc but for me something born and bred here is the way forward it's just too tightly bred a lot are out cossing myself included but are we outcrossing to the right variation of drop eared hound ??

My outcross was proven on European hares I felt that was a safer place to go but who knows ?

4 minutes ago, juckler123 said:

A tough one that Greb the lads that have had the pleasure of the pure breds haven't scratched the surface to be fair I see the world over thanks to the internet but everyone in the main is looking for saluki there is more out there tazi etc but for me something born and bred here is the way forward it's just too tightly bred a lot are out cossing myself included but are we outcrossing to the right variation of drop eared hound ??

My outcross was proven on European hares I felt that was a safer place to go but who knows ?

You're saying most over here are too tightly bred and are lacking? 

When you outcross do you cross completely different strains from different countries or do you still keep it relatively close? 

I mean, imagine dogs from Saudi Arabia and Syria are as different as a greyhound and whippet if you know what I mean. 

1 hour ago, juckler123 said:

Mint thread this ?

I reckon Green lurchers ain't so green and having fun ,? 

Right from catching up salukis and their xs don't retrieve ??? Or take you back to stuff they can't carry ?

They are thick as a brick ?

And they need slop to run on  ?

How deluded are you FFS ?

Now I ain't knocking the whippets to be fair one of the best providers of game for me was a whippet with a smidge of collie but if sally got up at fifty yards it was probably safe anything under that is was a done deal ?

But to say probably the cleverest of the pure bred sighthounds is thick shows that not many that can do a dog has tried them ?

I have been lucky to have had a few top quality animals in my time three of these have been pure breds as easy to bring on as any line bred lurcher ..

And lastly on the galgo run fensarefar is right on the track running my first pure was bought off Hughie weaver from Newark in 1980 as a blown dog they had run him to pieces gambling him on aerodromes where he would run the grass at side of the runways leaving his opponents crippled after their first run and staying on the tarmac ?

Like many sauki X's do ? What other sighthound would do that my answer not many ?

But please don't get a pure  one they are thick won't mark rabbits or hunt everything this land has to offer they can't catch hares in small fields and rabbits round the doors or go out at night for roosting Gamebirds stick to your comfort zone please ????

? i recon the green lurchers has had a lifetime at the dogs like you mate just likes winding me up knowing ill bite ? i’m more snappy then one a them whippets he keeps ? 

• Haha 1

Now you are really digging a hole Greb ??

Look at salukis like lurchers bud they are just drop eared sighthounds that evolved on big land so they herd to their owner we have had a snippet but it suited us as for once we saw Herding to their owner as in the hares aren't going to leave the field they are in call it boxing if you like lol ?when I say there are thousands out there that can do that I don't lie there are but we haven't witnessed that..

Their primal trait like any lurcher is to catch game I said before and I mean this for anything under fallow buck size your saluki will do well but if you want bigger you need other additions..

But if you want hare and smaller game the pures can do they are not lurchers and yes they were getting too close bred ??

But that is the problem with putting best to best always has been ..

Doesn't matter where they come from but for us they have to be able to do European hares imho ..

A lot of hares even jack's in the  USA which are supposed to be faster but might not stay as long as they have poor grub etc.. who knows 

We just try to better what's in the kennel as it's always been 

Edited by juckler123
  • Like 2
13 minutes ago, juckler123 said:

Now you are really digging a hole Greb ??

Look at salukis like lurchers bud they are just drop eared sighthounds that evolved on big land so they herd to their owner we have had a snippet but it suited us as for once we saw Herding to their owner as in the hares aren't going to leave the field they are in call it boxing if you like lol ?when I say there are thousands out there that can do that I don't lie there are but we haven't witnessed that..

Their primal trait like any lurcher is to catch game I said before and I mean this for anything under fallow buck size your saluki will do well but if you want bigger you need other additions..

But if you want hare and smaller game the pures can do they are not lurchers and yes they were getting too close bred ??

But that is the problem with putting best to best always has been ..

Doesn't matter where they come from but for us they have to be able to do European hares imho ..

A lot of hares even jack's in the  USA which are supposed to be faster but might not stay as long as they have poor grub etc.. who knows 

We just try to better what's in the kennel as it's always been 

I just find it interesting mate, most folks in that game tend to agree that the coursing breds have more gears which can benefit them on land that isn't horizon to horizon. 

You obviously have massive experience with these dogs and if you say that the good pures can handle the smaller fields then I'm not going to question you. 

The saluki has a massive range so it's inevitable that different strains have different qualities, i.e., speed, stamina, heart, etc. 

I suppose you're right though mate, those that can make the grade only do so by catching hares, it doesn't get any simpler than that. 

Edited by Greb147

Is it the man behind the dog that makes that difference ?

But first you need an animal that can too and not only hares pal but if they can feed you and give you sport in all-sorts of situations that's the one for me ..

I grew up running half bred salukis out of Lou Cuggar Edwards saluiki Tevor I didn't know anyone then when we caught deer when no one was at forty quid a time we didn't have no one to show us ..

I imagine there are plenty out there now that have animals just as good as long as they are not ruining the meat ?

It's what suits pal me every time mine I hunt everything from snakes and mice to birds nests and above  they do me it's what I prefer for a walk out and if it didn't click.the boxes of hjckc  I wouldn't feed or own it atvb 

Edited by juckler123
  • Like 4