Starting from scratch

It's not surprising some new members don't stay long!

Ignore the piss taking Fernylass and just read some of the posts on here, it's like an initiation ceremony with new members. Enjoy your dog, and don't be put off by some of the comments. Good luck for the future with him.

Cheers, D.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not surprising some new members don't stay long! Ignore the piss taking Fernylass and just read some of the posts on here, it's like an initiation ceremony with new members. Enjoy your dog,

My advice would be 2 challenge mc hull 2 a match  If u won I'd be delighted ☺

How do you no it was romani folk that duped the dog ,I ask because every rescue lurcher owner i have talked to says the gypsies dumped it ,I'm a traveler and my people would never dump a dog ,they mig

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Ignore the piss taking Fernylass and just read some of the posts on here, it's like an initiation ceremony with new members. Enjoy your dog, and don't be put off by some of the comments. Good luck for the future with him.

Cheers, D.

CAPTAIN SENSIBLE 2 the rescue

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Cheers, D.

Quite right.  @Fernylass, excuse my childish behaviour earlier.  After reading your post in new members, I just wondered why you are a vegetarian.  No malice intended.  ?

• Like 1

Sounds like you're headed the right way if working on recall and stock breaking. If possible also break to ferrets because that's probably the best way to get the dog working with you. Have to get the stock breaking solid because being a saluki he will end up chasing something into the next county and if not trustworthy with sheep and far away from his handler....

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Kalibrgun said:

100% not a rabbiting dog just let him chase a rag thats all thats legal that he might catch 

Can you tell me why? Here to learn so no snark intended. Fitness? Build? Cross? Would like to know more as don't want to put him through something if he can't take it. 

19 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

Sounds like you're headed the right way if working on recall and stock breaking. If possible also break to ferrets because that's probably the best way to get the dog working with you. Have to get the stock breaking solid because being a saluki he will end up chasing something into the next county and if not trustworthy with sheep and far away from his handler....

Yeah, that's my big worry. He already reacts to sheep 4 fields away when on the lead... 

Thanks for your advice, I'll chat to some guys about ferreting! 

59 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Quite right.  @Fernylass, excuse my childish behaviour earlier.  After reading your post in new members, I just wondered why you are a vegetarian.  No malice intended.  ?

Haha don't worry about it, just desperately wanted to talk about dogs ?

1 hour ago, dytkos said:

Cheers, D.

Ha thanks! Just thought I'd lay down my line but had no intention of leaving. There's too many good people on here! 

5 hours ago, shaaark said:

What's he like around othed dogs when he's offlead?  Seen more than a few 'skittish/nervy' dogs bolt for the hills when let loose around other dogs.  Maybe a good idea to establish what he's like on that score, before you venture too far into the countryside.

Yeah he's fine. Good offlead with other dogs, calm and settled. On lead, more skittish, off it great. Sounds like more practice is in order though just to make sure... Cheers! 

26 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

He's getting there with stock on lead sometimes but I'm worried about him off (won't let him off until I'm absolutely sure and know we might never get there) I don't want to treat him too harshly being a saluki x and break that bond we've built up. I can at least use a harsh, deep, growly 'nah ah'  at him now with a tug on the lead which he'll accept but bloody hell he's sensitive and my growled 'nah' in the early days made him cower (salukis.... ?) That's what's making this tougher as I've only stockbroken a working lab before and could be fairly tough on the lead with her. I'm so willing to work with my lad and I'm enjoying the challenge though ?? Will keep reading saluki stockbreaking topics on here and try and work with a farmer. 

• Like 1

Instead of taking the dog out rabbiting have you looked into getting your own lure machine there have been afew threads one recently and the guy found a lure machine for a decent price. Just an idea as if the dog has old injurys its likely to get knocked up abit more yet but that comes with working lurchers part and parcel just an idea if the lamping dosnt take off to well ? all the best with the dog 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Black neck said:

My advice would be 2 challenge mc hull 2 a match 

If u won I'd be delighted ☺

? win some lose some mate got honest dogs there be lads can beat me mate ? 

No one making do have a chance though lol  need to be someone been round dogs and not trying to get best out a shite lol