• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think its only a matter of time until hardball needs to come into play re Europe. They seem to still be under the illusion that they can dictate to the UK.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, greg64 said:

if these terms were agreed with the eu why are the french not protesting in brussels ,it's not jerseys fault the french don't like the deal

It sounds a little bit like the British Government has done with the fishing licenses what the EU has done with road freight customs rules, chucked a little bit extra in there at the last second to really make life a pain in the arse.

It will all come to nothing and the bottom line is, the little man will end up paying in Britain and the EU.

Brexit has been a gift for governments & beurocrats  , they are clawing in so much tax revenue and demanding so much information it’s just not true.

if that's the case and they did chuck a bit extra in that was not in the deal i can understand why there pissed off but if they have been fishing illegally in the past and have got no records because of that then they only have themselves to blame 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, greg64 said:

if that's the case and they did chuck a bit extra in that was not in the deal i can understand why there pissed off but if they have been fishing illegally in the past and have got no records because of that then they only have themselves to blame 

The road freight people in Ireland told a committee of TDs (MPs) about the extra rule, TDs claimed they didn’t even know.

Came direct from Brussels to revenue & customs.

Their complaint and the story has been buried mate.

Whats good for the goose and all that......

I still believe Brexit was the right thing to do but at this early stage (D-day plus 5 months) the only people winning are governments.

That will hopefully change but it will take time and we have to watch these pricks in Britain and the EU carefully because at the moment Brexit is set up for them, not us.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 2
24 minutes ago, WILF said:

It sounds a little bit like the British Government has done with the fishing licenses what the EU has done with road freight customs rules, chucked a little bit extra in there at the last second to really make life a pain in the arse.

It will all come to nothing and the bottom line is, the little man will end up paying in Britain and the EU.

Brexit has been a gift for governments & beurocrats  , they are clawing in so much tax revenue and demanding so much information it’s just not true.

I'm not sure that this is a UK Gov' responsibility though. Anyone? The channel Islands are Crown Dependencies and as such are responsible for much of their own governance. From the little details there are on this it sounds like Jersey themselves are the ones playing with red tape, rightly or wrongly.... on the face of it it seems fair at this point.

Jersey’s external relations minister, Ian Gorst, said the island had issued permits in accordance with the post-Brexit trade terms, and that they stipulated any new licence must reflect how much time a vessel had spent in Jersey's waters before Brexit.

2 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I'm not sure that this is a UK Gov' responsibility though. Anyone? The channel Islands are Crown Dependencies and as such are responsible for much of their own governance. From the little details there are on this it sounds like Jersey themselves are the ones playing with red tape, rightly or wrongly.... on the face of it it seems fair at this point.

Yeah, I read that too mate but you and I know they won’t be doing this without prior consultation with the government.

I don’t think it has anything to do with Jersey personally, I think it’s ultimately all about Northern Ireland ?

Edited by WILF
17h  · 
SKIPPER OF FRENCH VESSEL REMANDED AFTER SPURDOG SEIZURE
The Master of a French registered fishing vessel has been remanded to Cork Circuit Court on June 8th next on a bond of €67,000. The vessel was detained by the Sea-Fisheries Protection Authority (SFPA), the sea-fisheries regulator, on Friday morning last at Castletownbere following the detection and seizure by Sea-Fisheries Protection Officers of the SFPA of over one tonne of spurdog or piked dogfish (Squalus acanthias), a prohibited species.
Spurdog, a type of shark, often travel in groups which makes them an easier target for fisheries. However, following many years of high harvest rates, fishing is prohibited in all EU waters due to the current low stock levels.
As spurdogs are slow to reproduce, it will take time for levels to recover from overfishing, according to Dr Susan Steele, Chair of the SFPA. “While there are some signs of recovery from the historical lows of the mid 2000s, the decline in stock levels was so severe that further time is necessary to allow them to recover sufficiently,” she said.
1 minute ago, riohog said:
17h  · 
SKIPPER OF FRENCH VESSEL REMANDED AFTER SPURDOG SEIZURE
The Master of a French registered fishing vessel has been remanded to Cork Circuit Court on June 8th next on a bond of €67,000. The vessel was detained by the Sea-Fisheries Protection Authority (SFPA), the sea-fisheries regulator, on Friday morning last at Castletownbere following the detection and seizure by Sea-Fisheries Protection Officers of the SFPA of over one tonne of spurdog or piked dogfish (Squalus acanthias), a prohibited species.
Spurdog, a type of shark, often travel in groups which makes them an easier target for fisheries. However, following many years of high harvest rates, fishing is prohibited in all EU waters due to the current low stock levels.
As spurdogs are slow to reproduce, it will take time for levels to recover from overfishing, according to Dr Susan Steele, Chair of the SFPA. “While there are some signs of recovery from the historical lows of the mid 2000s, the decline in stock levels was so severe that further time is necessary to allow them to recover sufficiently,” she said.

A sacrificial lamb to say to the world “look at us policing ourselves !”......fact is, they had 10 Spanish artics on Irish fishing docks last week to load catches off of Spanish boats while Irish boats are confined to harbour because they ain’t allowed to go fishing !

6 minutes ago, WILF said:

Yeah, I read that too mate but you and I know they won’t be doing this without prior consultation with the government.

I don’t think it has anything to do with Jersey personally, I think it’s ultimately all about Northern Ireland ?

I believe that there would have been much consultation while writing the brexit deal but how the new rules are implemented is down to whichever government has jurisdiction, and in the case of the channel islands I believe it's their own island governments.

Tbh mate, my first suspicion was that it's another convenient distraction for the French and the EU governments from their disastrous vaccination rollout. I'm probably not very up to speed with what's going on in Ireland.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

I believe that there would have been much consultation while writing the brexit deal but how the new rules are implemented is down to whichever government has jurisdiction, and in the case of the channel islands I believe it's their own island governments.

I just thought it may be too high profile a thing to do just in isolation ?

Of course, it could be as you say a unilateral move but Ireland’s proving a sticking point and the Irish government now shits real are the proverbial fence sitters.

Tbh mate, my first suspicion was that it's another convenient distraction for the French and the EU governments from their disastrous vaccination rollout. I'm probably not very up to speed with what's going on in Ireland.

Compared to the U.K. the EU have made an absolute bollocks of the vaccine roll out, it’s everything you know top heavy, decision by committee, massive burocracy always is.......it could easily put a spot light on the whole institution and they are doing everything they can to cover that up now nations will be watching to see how Britain cracks on. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, WILF said:

I just thought it may be too high profile a thing to do just in isolation ?

Of course, it could be as you say a unilateral move but Ireland’s proving a sticking point and the Irish government now shits real are the proverbial fence sitters.

My general opinion of politicians is that they are by far and large opportunists. I reckon the French/EU have jumped on something that the crapauds (apparently the name for a resident of Jersey :laugh:) didn't think would be a big deal. I just think that if this bit of admin was ordered by the UK then it wouldn't only be affecting Jersey?

It quite possibly fits the EU agenda with what's going on in Ireland but like I said, I'm not very clued up on that.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Born Hunter said:

My general opinion of politicians is that they are by far and large opportunists. I reckon the French/EU have jumped on something that the crapauds (apparently the name for a resident of Jersey :laugh:) didn't think would be a big deal. I just think that if this bit of admin was ordered by the UK then it wouldn't only be affecting Jersey?

It quite possibly fits the EU agenda with what's going on in Ireland but like I said, I'm not very clued up on that.

We can only guess and chat mate, still, all good fun to watch none the less ! Lol 

• Like 1