37 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

? A sad tale old friend.

Phil, I feel this entire thread has revealed a rather sad tale, mate.

I started it as a sort of. " I wonder ..... " concept. Throw it out there and see what happens.

There's no heart any more, is there?

Put brutally simply? People have turned up. Basically yawned that 'Traps? Yeah. I collect traps. Got a Juby. An Imbra. Fennn. Gin. Some other bloody thing, I dunn even know, or care what it ..... zzzzzz.'

I've tried, mate. I've Told them there are Dozens of different " Mk's / Types " of each trap out there. (Like Ford Cortina's! ~ sad attempt at light humour) And .........? " Zzzzzz "

No One has actually Asked me: " Oh. What is My one example of a Juby then? " Because, clearly, no one Cares any more.

C'est la vie.

• Like 1

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welllp figured y'all my enjoy one if my wall hangers. Pretty sure is a Victor sure grip  

Fenn 'Loop' Mole Traps Here you go, Katch. I got the box down again. Couple of angles for you to get the best idea. Four different Types. It's all in the trigger design, see? Wire loop thing, on

This is the last Rabbit i caught in a Sawyer ! it was in my neighbours  back garden under a shed , i put a sequence of  pictures showing how they worked then the Internet  trap Police pounced . A stup

Posted Images

Fukk sake ...! :D

Saying that though; I've never forgotten when I was at a CLA Gamefair, many decades ago. I believe it must have been Trevor Bateman who had this absolutely massive display of old traps. (It's where I saw my first Everett Rat Trap, in the flesh, and fell in love with it)

Anyway, I saw this small, rectangular block of silvery metal. There was a little toggle lever on top. Sort of short, threaded brass pipe at one end. I was completely baffled by it. So I asked.

He said it was Swedish (Or Swiss? I forget now) Mole Trap! I'm like; WTF?!

So, he explained: You bury it in the mole run. Mole comes along and bumps into it. And that fires a .303 round at him!!! :icon_eek:

Fukking Hell!

• Like 1
On 25/05/2021 at 22:41, Ken's Deputy said:

Eddie: I'm out of 'Likes', mate. But, yeah. All told? The Decades of F's experiences. My own years of learning it from him. Researching to further it all. Then, L taking up the torch.

I know L travelled endless miles. Managed to get to places F, or I, never could. He also had the 'Character' to make people pay attention and welcome him. He opened doors.

The guy became the final ~ and pretty well complete ~ repository of The Fenn Story. And so much besides.

Then? Shit happened :(

I never have, and never will, discussed another mans private business on line. Just believe me when I say; " L " isn't the young man I once knew.

He tells me he's doing alright. I imagine he is. But, that fire's gone. I don't even see a spark now.

Maybe he'll suddenly arise. A Phoenix from the ashes of all F, I and L himself have done?

I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe That ~ the above ~ could be considered 'The Fenn Book Story'?

Because that's the truth. Every word of it.

That tale in itself needs to be incorporated into any book that does surface on the subject . It's part of Fenn History !

Rodent Lime £6 for a half pound tub20210528_083641.jpg.753bec6dd0bf2f8013089f0d8de08877.jpg

920210528_083510.jpg.5ac32361db236e7b9f462277da652ad3.jpg

I guess Mr Fenn was referring to the Springer. Had he forgotten to renew his patent?

The same catalogue lists the Mk4 and Mk6 Fenn Specials . I guess it was the stainless steel treadle that nade them special .  And you could save yourself 25p by ordering the trap without a chain .

Edited by comanche
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Its amazing when you look at a pile of old rusty gins,..just how well they have been constructed?

The rabbit catching industry is a part of our rural history, and these ancient lumps sure played their part... 

File0554.jpg

Picture 015.jpg

It's the intrinsic strength and  quality of the things that is a testament to their makers.

Even today the springs still hold their temper and rust is often only supeficial .

The modern view seems to be to use as little material as possible . Then give everything a quick dip in something  silver to hide the fact that it's  made of something with the iron content of a  dog biscuit .

Here's  one l spotted in a customer's  garage this very morning. A sort of middle sized one.20210528_103041.jpg.3bb32d142b83a5466fa3682bf96b086a.jpg

20210518_221817.jpg.3e7658aa5e4812b9e14e6121895697b8.jpg

One from my shed.

And the same one .

20210518_222043.jpg.84d54140d51db95278578c993abd09a1.jpg

*Event reconstructed by an actor .

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Its amazing when you look at a pile of old rusty gins,..just how well they have been constructed?

The rabbit catching industry is a part of our rural history, and these ancient lumps sure played their part... 

File0554.jpg

Picture 015.jpg

The trap nearest to the camera reminded me of a very sought after trap from over here 2061770756_gorman-wyoming-big-iron-trap_1_ead7d8825440a5ff2b19b949da647c34(3).jpg.142e29936bafbac0d5d72b13c9b9a1dd.jpg

On 25/05/2021 at 22:10, EDDIE B said:

Such a pity, nothing came of it fella. Sounds like there was a lot of work put into gathering and gaining information for the book. 

Fukking Untold work, mate! F basically spent his life camped outside the factory door. Grabbing one of absolutely anything that came out it. Then studying it. Measuring it. Recording every detail.

I spent years transcribing and collating F's notes. While, all the time hunting down the least little thing that may have slipped by even him.

Oh, and I should say here, for clarification? While we're talking of it as " The Fenn Book "; I was, in fact preparing to discuss the whole line of " Approved Traps ", as then were.

I spent years (And £K's) searching out examples of as many known models as I could. I tracked down and contacted living people who had had a hand in the whole thing. I found avenues F hadn't explored and down those rabbit holes I went.

Then, shit happened. I handed over the complete amalgamation of both F and I's information to L. And that boy didn't let us down! :icon_eek:

Looking at it? It was a beautiful thing. Like the natural, organic composition of a wonderful symphony in life.

Started with F. Slow, steady movement. Phlegmatic. Clinical.

Then, I come in. The Kettle Drums begin. Pit Bull with a mission. Single mindedly following every lead. Stopping at nothing. But, yeah; With a definite knack of making real people shut and lock their doors!

I fade away and L's movement begins. Light and beguiling. Strings, this time. Played exquisitely. A waltz of butterflies. L worked. He'd approach and be welcomed with smiles and open doors. Our Ninja in civvies.

My hat's off to the guy. Completely. He got behind scenes and under skins. That guy's seen things Rutger Hauer wouldn't believe.

I Believe L discovered and gathered The Lost Scrolls.

Then? Shit happened.

2 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Fukking Untold work, mate! F basically spent his life camped outside the factory door. Grabbing one of absolutely anything that came out it. Then studying it. Measuring it. Recording every detail.

I spent years transcribing and collating F's notes. While, all the time hunting down the least little thing that may have slipped by even him.

Oh, and I should say here, for clarification? While we're talking of it as " The Fenn Book "; I was, in fact preparing to discuss the whole line of " Approved Traps ", as then were.

I spent years (And £K's) searching out examples of as many known models as I could. I tracked down and contacted living people who had had a hand in the whole thing. I found avenues F hadn't explored and down those rabbit holes I went.

Then, shit happened. I handed over the complete amalgamation of both F and I's information to L. And that boy didn't let us down! :icon_eek:

Looking at it? It was a beautiful thing. Like the natural, organic composition of a wonderful symphony in life.

Started with F. Slow, steady movement. Phlegmatic. Clinical.

Then, I come in. The Kettle Drums begin. Pit Bull with a mission. Single mindedly following every lead. Stopping at nothing. But, yeah; With a definite knack of making real people shut and lock their doors!

I fade away and L's movement begins. Light and beguiling. Strings, this time. Played exquisitely. A waltz of butterflies. L worked. He'd approach and be welcomed with smiles and open doors. Our Ninja in civvies.

My hat's off to the guy. Completely. He got behind scenes and under skins. That guy's seen things Rutger Hauer wouldn't believe.

I Believe L discovered and gathered The Lost Scrolls.

Then? Shit happened.

Such a god dalm pity, because that would have been one hell of a book.

Twenty years time, there might not even be a Fenn trap. There might not even be a British designed or made spring trap any more.

Where did it all go wrong? :(

I don't  know if the people following or contributing to this trap thread have seen the little trap video in the Country Crafts section of the Forum.

If you haven't   , have a look at the second bit of film in the "Olden Days Tools and Traps" thread?

1 hour ago, comanche said:

I don't  know if the people following or contributing to this trap thread have seen the little trap video in the Country Crafts section of the Forum.

If you haven't   , have a look at the second bit of film in the "Olden Days Tools and Traps" thread?

Yea I suggested that would be a good idea from there.

Anyhow, here it is. Nice little video

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ratmanwan3 said:

I think the bottom one is french, has teeth on the underside. Not sure what it was used for ?

Certainly looks more French than German.

Probably used for fox. Think about it; What has France got that we didn't used to have? Wild Boar. And no one in his right mind is gonna set a foot trap for a boar.

Also, unlike the North Americans, they - like us - favoured going for as high a grip as practical. Four inches was the normal size for a rabbit. Look how far up its leg that goes.

Think of it this way: If I grab you by the wrist? You can move back to arms length from me. And you have your whole arms worth of strength and leverage to fight me with.

But, If I clamp onto your upper arm, above the elbow? I'll be a lot more trouble to you. I stand to control that entire arm. See?

• Like 1