just a thought

I put this on the wrong section today ,just interested in opinions on the matter................

the son and i were chatting while out walking and im wondering for an ALL ROUND KNOCK ABOUT DOG ,what would ye think of a 3/4 greyhound /saluki,..NOT  as a hare dog but as a practitioner of what ever the hell arises ,a bit of ferreting, lamping , run a big rabbit if it should rise before us and a few bigger bits on the rare occasion wed ever see one ,,i know some could be handy ,some shite ,it all depends on the dog itself ,but just as a bit of discussion,what ye reckon

Edited by jigsaw

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A mate had one that was out of a very well known coursing line put back to a greyhound and it put me off the cross it spend more time in the kennel lame than it did in the field but then my mate got t

We’ve probably already answered this in various forms before. I think most of us would agree that there is as much variation within breeds and types and between sometimes. But you do get certain ‘give

I'm not on about hares,this is for all round bashing about,there's more to life than hares,..if one gets up ,great,we run it and either frighten the shit out of it or kill it,Lucas pucas lol....I'm mo

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

I put this on the wrong section today ,just interested in opinions on the matter................

the son and i were chatting while out walking and im wondering for an ALL ROUND KNOCK ABOUT DOG ,what would ye think of a 3/4 greyhound /saluki,..NOT  as a hare dog but as a practitioner of what ever the hell arises ,a bit of ferreting, lamping , run a big rabbit if it should rise before us and a few bigger bits on the rare occasion wed ever see one ,,i know some could be handy ,some shite ,it all depends on the dog itself ,but just as a bit of discussion,what ye reckon

Can’t see why that wouldn’t be a decent cross.

Saluki might put a bit of suppleness into it and stamina with a more economical running style.

im no expert on runners ... well on anything ?

but the best allrounders I’ve seen have a quarter saluki , well a splash anyway.

ATB ... TonyT

• Like 1

I have a pure ,i have a half bred ...shur why not go the whole hog for a 3/4 lol...theyd be quick off the mark anyhow ,we had a good ole natter on the matter me and the lad ,I wonder if he could get a leg over now at 12 and produce enough tadpoles to create a litter,the thing i worry most about is homing pups ,

anyone on here ever have such a cross in the past?

A good friend had one watched for most of its active life, a decent enough dog. Could put a decent shift in on the lamp/ ferreting ok. Had a good nose and could find well caught plenty daytime hares but in ones or twos. i must admit i only seen it on rabbits and hares caught feather from time to time.

A mate had one that was out of a very well known coursing line put back to a greyhound and it put me off the cross it spend more time in the kennel lame than it did in the field but then my mate got the brindle bitch that’s on a lot of my vids and after watching her on all kinds of gear for two seasons me and others are waiting for him to line her, she’s got the most drive I’ve seen in a lurcher for rabbis and as for over stuff there are better dogs out there to do the job but you will catch them all with her day and night , she’s whippet greyhound x saluki put back to a pure greyhound 

1304D2D5-AA9D-4EA4-A5D9-B8ED95D77B7F.jpeg

A6116DD7-F34A-4501-A089-09C14142E2B1.jpeg

• Like 7
28 minutes ago, Trev70 said:

A mate had one that was out of a very well known coursing line put back to a greyhound and it put me off the cross it spend more time in the kennel lame than it did in the field but then my mate got the brindle bitch that’s on a lot of my vids and after watching her on all kinds of gear for two seasons me and others are waiting for him to line her, she’s got the most drive I’ve seen in a lurcher for rabbis and as for over stuff there are better dogs out there to do the job but you will catch them all with her day and night , she’s whippet greyhound x saluki put back to a pure greyhound 

1304D2D5-AA9D-4EA4-A5D9-B8ED95D77B7F.jpeg

A6116DD7-F34A-4501-A089-09C14142E2B1.jpeg

Lame could it a took after dam lol

All depends if you get on with saluki type dogs. Most things crossed with 3/4 greyhound should do ok on most things. Depends on the breeding and how you bring them on. Both my runners have saluki in them. My dog is 1/4 saluki x grew with about 1/8 collie. Bitch I’m not sure about percentages.  Both totally different dogs to train and totally different out in the field. They do me though ?

Edited by white van man
  • Like 1
45 minutes ago, darbo said:

A good friend had one watched for most of its active life, a decent enough dog. Could put a decent shift in on the lamp/ ferreting ok. Had a good nose and could find well caught plenty daytime hares but in ones or twos. i must admit i only seen it on rabbits and hares caught feather from time to time.

I'd be just pricking about at this stage,a bit of ferreting,some woodland walks,and a bit of everything else,I've no interest in fox,if you can't eat it why bother I think,and I don't need the best of 3,type dogs,I think they'd be exciting to watch 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

The half bred must been good pot filler jig? 

Yeah,he was a class all rounder,...he caught a lot of hares,and a few foxes and a few big yokes too,ferreted well when young,I was very lucky with him