Working to rats

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Done loads in the past really like it would like do more but when your out with loads terriers lurchers etc the smoker and spade seem to be the thing. Like FD says bit more fired when actually at the

I used to ferret rats to dogs a lot. Not saying that I ever caught a lot of rats, but like to think that I didn't miss much when using that method, if that makes sense? Ferrets behave differently

If their young ferrets like born this year I like to give them rabbits till after the new year mind that if the older ones are still ratting if that makes sense, like has been said some seem to stick

Posted Images

Ferreted more rats than I ever did rabbits  .If you had a Jill that stuck to it you had a good un .Saw a fair amount of abscesses from rat bites and lost a few working places I maybe should have left alone namely farm drains and under concrete .The advent of the micro collar by deben changed the losses drastically .Entering a good ferret into a decent rat Warren would usually tigger action straight away .Miss that part of my life tbh .

Good crack if dogs are steady .

• Like 5
8 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Ferreted more rats than I ever did rabbits  .If you had a Jill that stuck to it you had a good un .Saw a fair amount of abscesses from rat bites and lost a few working places I maybe should have left alone namely farm drains and under concrete .The advent of the micro collar by deben changed the losses drastically .Entering a good ferret into a decent rat Warren would usually tigger action straight away .Miss that part of my life tbh .

I had a silver jill that loved ratting remember one day she come out the hole attached to the rat like a cartoon ball of ferret n rat n my mates lurchers head was going up n down like a nodding donkey then bang he grabbed the rat n not the jill only lasted a few seconds but felt like for ever 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Does sound a lot more interesting then a smoker and not so noisy. My lurcher would be fine and I got a terrier pup that should be easy enough to break. 

Not done too much this year but i do normally do alot of it and enjoy it. Got a bitch ferret she produved best ratter ive seen hopefully get some more young out of her this year. Nice to see terriers broken to ferrets not many are now

• Like 1

Done loads in the past really like it would like do more but when your out with loads terriers lurchers etc the smoker and spade seem to be the thing. Like FD says bit more fired when actually at the rats but never made mine any more nippy. Nearly always worked jills in their sets but used few hobs in scrap, under sheds etc.  1709088650_ferret1.jpg.68476f468897467935c4aaf800ee0bff.jpg

1810720522_ferret2.jpg.bf8c933942fa5d8b6293835ea336f74c.jpg

1484299500_Ferret4.jpg.a5f3cce4377ad7cf1ea2ade33ddf2bf1.jpg

Even these two big strong rabbiting hobs took some stick off the long taills.

PUD

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, WHWT said:

Done loads in the past really like it would like do more but when your out with loads terriers lurchers etc the smoker and spade seem to be the thing. Like FD says bit more fired when actually at the rats but never made mine any more nippy. Nearly always worked jills in their sets but used few hobs in scrap, under sheds etc.  1709088650_ferret1.jpg.68476f468897467935c4aaf800ee0bff.jpg

1810720522_ferret2.jpg.bf8c933942fa5d8b6293835ea336f74c.jpg

1484299500_Ferret4.jpg.a5f3cce4377ad7cf1ea2ade33ddf2bf1.jpg

Even these two big strong rabbiting hobs took some stick off the long taills.

PUD

That’s the only issue but easy enough to work on my own as my mates only go out couple times a month 

I did a fair bit of ratting with ferrets in late 1970s. Jill's only. Some were mad keen, some reluctant. I found they typically all became less enthusiastic within a short time and on one occasion i remember seeing 2 Jill's making strenuous efforts to avoid engaging with rats in a pile of feed sacks. Apart from one Jill that lost an eye and became very nervous It didn't stop them being good on rabbits. At its best with a big infestation in more open ground the action was incredible.

• Like 3

If their young ferrets like born this year I like to give them rabbits till after the new year mind that if the older ones are still ratting if that makes sense, like has been said some seem to stick to ratting other seem less keen after few times just what I have found.

PUD 

• Like 5