Hare coursing in Europe??

20 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

Going back a while, I remember Stick rip saying Swoop could manage the strongest of fen hares, lot of our top modern dogs will go back to her or her siblings

When you have dogs claiming to do 3's and more on the big stuff then that tells me the dog is superior to the hare. 

You have to admire a hare that has the guile to escape in cover or to ground but has that animal actually beat the dog? 

Surely the best of dogs would run the best of hares to a standstill on open land. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aye coypu. Best parts of the trip were the travel, f***ing about with coypu on the river bank, lamping roe in France abs getting lost. Smuggling some supplies through customs which made the whole thin

They eaten them all

Yep pretty much that. What always made me ? was lads sitting on the bus in town with terriers, spades etc off to or coming home from digging Brock

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

It's all about the running for me, if hares are run hard by dogs then the population will only get stronger. 

Those continental hares will barely have any predators once they've reached maturity. 

You’d be surprised. 

• Like 1
Just now, Greb147 said:

With what mate? 

I can't think of anything more testing for the hare population than being run by coursing dogs. 

The continental hares not having any predators once they’ve reached maturity. Understand there’s not much that’s gonna be running them down like a uk coursing mutt. But there’s a lot of wildlife out there trying to eat them and a lot of hare shooting goes on. 

3 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

The continental hares not having any predators once they’ve reached maturity. Understand there’s not much that’s gonna be running them down like a uk coursing mutt. But there’s a lot of wildlife out there trying to eat them and a lot of hare shooting goes on. 

I agree with that but nothing pushes them physically like getting run all the time with good dogs IMO. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SheepChaser said:

Aye and how many lurchers on here couldn’t catch a cold ? doesn’t represent the uk coursing scene. 

Weve deffo got the best but you’d be surprised how good some Of the foreign dogs can be 

I think we have best with regards to france and east of france .....but spain and the portugal im not so sure....i think the Iberian hare might be a test for our dogs especialy on that hard ground....

with the rest of europe having a similar climate to us...and the same hare....our dogs would do fine i feel ...

2 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Is that true though these days with the best of high percentage saluki crosses on the big land. 

Fair enough hares can reach cover and go to ground but are the best of hares capable of running the best of dogs to a standstill on open fields without the need of finding cover? 

100 hundred percent mate the strongest find cover know we’re it is some hares aren’t getting caught mate 

Just now, mC HULL said:

100 hundred percent mate the strongest find cover know we’re it is some hares aren’t getting caught mate 

But to me that's just a case of outsmarting a dog and not out running one. ?

1 hour ago, low plains drifter said:

Going back a while, I remember Stick rip saying Swoop could manage the strongest of fen hares, lot of our top modern dogs will go back to her or her siblings

Spoke stick a few times was running the sister to my dogs mother nice fella rip 

my white dog goes back to swoop who was class and could kill the strongest hares but even with them type a bitches you still don’t kill them all mate 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

When you have dogs claiming to do 3's and more on the big stuff then that tells me the dog is superior to the hare. 

You have to admire a hare that has the guile to escape in cover or to ground but has that animal actually beat the dog? 

Surely the best of dogs would run the best of hares to a standstill on open land. 

Claiming 3s and more is happening mate but how many are killing 3s 4s chimbo on then look what type a land are they picking runs you gonon seed slipping what gets up it’s hard to stop 3 only real dogs doing it not  every Sal cross