How socialty has changed

Several of you guys have touched on about manners which I feel are sadly lacking these days. Born in 51 we had nothing in the way of material thing really but we did have manners and nearly all the kid had them. Woe betide if you father found out you had been rude. My father spent most of his money in the pub and mother managed best she could. Started catching rabbits, fishing and poaching the odd Pheasant when I was about ten or twelve to help feed us. Father was hopeless with tools as well Saw's went rusty. Garden fork or spade was left stuck in the ground were he last used it and the handle would snap off when came to use it again in the spring.  I swore I would never be like him, so you can learn by your parents mistakes. My two lads never wanted for anything never spoilt them though and always had manners. I always try to comment with praise if a hear a young'un with manners, its lovely to hear sadly not often enough. Think manners should be taught in the schools now. As said before by Lads parents these day seem to want every thing new, all the latest things live their live in debt. Different way of life these days, never had what I could not afford.

Cheers Arry

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Without being to rude on the younger generation a lot of modern men are like tarts and just don’t have the minerals, my better half stopped working when my first was borne and has never gone back, I u

Proven fact that kids need discipline  . Seems to be lot of lads replying on here around my age if I’m not mistaken .Boundaries  were set and punishment followed the breaking thereof .We never suffere

born 1944    fantastic memories of my childhood, and great parents, I wanted fer nowt,        manners were the norm in my house, ie mealtimes all sat around the dining table, and god help you if you d

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

I wish my kids could have a mixture of my upbringing and their own present day upbringing, dont think many kids nowadays get to experience the freedoms that our generation had as kids and it's a real shame. 

Summer holidays all the kids down the river or woods making camps climbing trees all day.safe..nowadays pedophiles everywhere kids ain't safe no more to live there childhoods down the woods or rivers etc.

Parent's are happier to have the kids at home.and you can't blame them for that.

It is a shame how society has changed..

allthough my farther has been dead  over 40 years   , i didnt like the man and fkd off at 16  ,saying that maybe his upbringing was to do with alot of things he wasnt a violent man by any meens but very victorian views ,but i was allways fed and clothed well so im sure he did his best ,,  

• Like 3

born 1944    fantastic memories of my childhood, and great parents, I wanted fer nowt,        manners were the norm in my house, ie mealtimes all sat around the dining table, and god help you if you dint have the manners to ask, please may I leave the table when finished

• Like 8
8 minutes ago, riohog said:

allthough my farther has been dead  over 40 years   , i didnt like the man and fkd off at 16  ,saying that maybe his upbringing was to do with alot of things he wasnt a violent man by any meens but very victorian views ,but i was allways fed and clothed well so im sure he did his best ,,  

Mine was much the same, but he was violent, I took some beatings as a child and teenager, wasn't overly upset when he died 

Atb j 

Just now, jetro said:

Mine was much the same, but he was violent, I took some beatings as a child and teenager, wasn't overly upset when he died 

Atb j 

i didnt wish my farther dead  but we were very very different people ,

• Like 1

Manners cost nothing we were all brought up with manners please thank you if a elderly person or woman got on a bus you got up and offered your seat you held doors open for people offered to help the elderly carry there shopping funny enough the kids I see today with the same principles are normally the roughest ones the more privileged they are the more ignorant I have found them 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, riohog said:

i didnt wish my farther dead  but we were very very different people ,

Neither did I. I thought it was the done thing, normal for want of a better word. It's only as I got older I found out it wasn't.

He had his own demons I suppose. It's just the was it was.

Atb j 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Manners cost nothing we were all brought up with manners please thank you if a elderly person or woman got on a bus you got up and offered your seat you held doors open for people offered to help the elderly carry there shopping funny enough the kids I see today with the same principles are normally the roughest ones the more privileged they are the more ignorant I have found them 

Manners can an do bring a person along way in life. It's what make a  person, 

Atb j 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, iworkwhippets said:

born 1944    fantastic memories of my childhood, and great parents, I wanted fer nowt,        manners were the norm in my house, ie mealtimes all sat around the dining table, and god help you if you dint have the manners to ask, please may I leave the table when finished

first started rabbiting around  1956 with a greyhound x whippet those were the days when I used to put much needed meat on the table I can see my mothers face now when I came home Saturday tea time with a couple of rabbits , I didn't realise it then, but boy weren't they greatfull

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, jetro said:

Neither did I. I thought it was the done thing, normal for want of a better word. It's only as I got older I found out it wasn't.

He had his own demons I suppose. It's just the was it was.

Atb j 

yes i get that my farther had his demons

psycological  i think    but i was having non of it  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, jetro said:

Manners can an do bring a person along way in life. It's what make a  person, 

Atb j 

True that jetro if my old man caught you not using them he would belt you no fecks given were it were we all had jobs whilst at school milk rounds paper rounds  setting market stalls up or in the slaughter house cleaning he instilled a work ethic in us from a young age 

Edited by Blackmag
  • Like 1
Just now, riohog said:

yes i get that my farther had his demons

psycological  i think    but i was having non of it  

I didnt know what psychological demons were till later in life. The only demons I knew about came out of the bible LOL. 

It just wasn't the physical beatings,, got over that fairly fast, it was the consent verble abuse that was the worst. Could never do right. Never praised or encouraged in any of my work or interests.

Atb j 

• Like 2

I've never smacked my kids, hopefully never will, my old man would bonce me off the walls, it didn't teach me anything other than how to hide things from him. It's better to reward good behaviour until it becomes the norm, a word of praise is worth more than a belt, I reckon if you have to revert to hitting them then you've already failed. Teach then to respect themselves and those around them and you won't go far wrong.

• Like 5