3/4Grey Crosses

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I looked for ages for a 3/4 bred couldn’t find one years ago I waited an waited it never happened I didn’t fancy going to Hancock to get one I bought this bitch in the end she’s about 1/16 collie (Han

3/4 by Taffy

This was "Molly" 3/4 greyhound  1/4 beardie, best allround bitch I've ever had, took all edible and loved feather always had the knack of appearing with a few pheasants, if theres one I could have clo

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Gilbey said:

Rare as hens teeth is what's wrong with them ?

Same as other collie types, folk breeding off any old collie, some of them are a pain in the arse to live with for some people. Think it was Neal who wrote a good post about them having their own mind and turning a 'deaf un' etc but it resulting in a rabbit??

I think the problem/benefit of collie crosses (including beardies and kelpies etc too) is...

17 hours ago, gnipper said:

Temperament 

Gnipper and Gilbey are spot on. However, the thing is that the temperament in all pastoral breeds is what makes them what they are. Some people hate it so don't like collie crosses. Some people see the benefits but find them hard to live with so ameliorate it with something else. And then there are those who love it and have half crosses or 3/4 collie 1/4 greyhounds. 

My favourite story about my first lurcher (she was a first cross sired by Hancock's first beardie Remus) was when we were walking across Coniston Moor. The heather was really tall and so I was having to lift my little hobbit legs right up with every step. Tessa cottoned on to the fact that walking in my wake was a guarantee to a clear path but unfortunately it meant that I kept accidentaly kicking her in the chin. It didn't seem to bother her (after she'd weighed up the pros and cons) but it was annoying the hell out of me so I eventually turned around and told her to f off. In my defence that was about thirty years ago and I wasn't as calm and relaxed with my dogs as I am now. She walked off and left me to continue to struggle through the heather and ended up seeming to walk parralel to me. However, after a few minutes I noticed she was gradually getting closer and closer...until I eventually realised that she was walking on the footpath that I'd not spotted. I felt a right plonker! One of many examples I can think of of collie types being right if you only give them the chance to prove it.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 2
16 hours ago, shaaark said:

That 4/8, is that new lurcher 'jargon' for half cross ray? ?

haha  , well  back at school  4/8 = 1/2 , prob 1/2these feckers  prob  played the wag most of the time .lol   just thinking about what  Neal just wrote about there brains of collie type xs. well  when i  moved to my old place at south staffs , iam at Hereford /border  now, there was bloke there this was 30 years had a collie x lurcher  bitch , she was think about 23 in. Anyway went lamping with him  the 1st time, he had her i had blaze my 3/8 b/b 5/8 grey.  he was doing the lamping , i was just behind him with blaze, when he put the lamp on, his bitch stood up on her back legs , leaning against the bloke , so she could see everything down the beam, she be near enough  4 . 1/2 ft high then , bloody great to see it, she was great picked rabbits up easy think she had drop of beddy or saluki in her , had great stamina and strike , she had couple foxes, but not a fox dog really , but the lad was more into catching hares and rabbits than old charlie . ive never seen another dog do that what she did , Buck 28in when i lamped the field with him , he scan the field him self, he caught lot of stuff out the beam anyway .

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, bird said:

haha  , well  back at school  4/8 = 1/2 , prob 1/2these feckers  prob  played the wag most of the time .lol   just thinking about what  Neal just wrote about there brains of collie type xs. well  when i  moved to my old place at south staffs , iam at Hereford /border  now, there was bloke there this was 30 years had a collie x lurcher  bitch , she was think about 23 in. Anyway went lamping with him  the 1st time, he had her i had blaze my 3/8 b/b 5/8 grey.  he was doing the lamping , i was just behind him with blaze, when he put the lamp on, his bitch stood up on her back legs , leaning against the bloke , so she could see everything down the beam, she be near enough  4 . 1/2 ft high then , bloody great to see it, she was great picked rabbits up easy think she had drop of beddy or saluki in her , had great stamina and strike , she had couple foxes, but not a fox dog really , but the lad was more into catching hares and rabbits than old charlie . ive never seen another dog do that what she did , Buck 28in when i lamped the field with him , he scan the field him self, he caught lot of stuff out the beam anyway .

Lol ?. Yeah a couple of dogs I owned in the past used to do that. Last couple of lurchers I owned were taller types. Was better for most of the land we lamped.

15 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Lol ?. Yeah a couple of dogs I owned in the past used to do that. Last couple of lurchers I owned were taller types. Was better for most of the land we lamped.

yeh  bit of height deff does help  mate, old bryn 25 in, my bullxs were 26 in, blaze was 26in , i think it nice size for most stuff in the lamp , but Buck height 28 in deff  helped   he caught to top up the bag .

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

I only ever had collie crosses till given a half x beddy/grey pup 30 year ago now and I’ve not gone back I find they only need basic training as everything else is already there 

I think that's probably the best way really mate. Find what type suits you and that you actually like, and stick with it if it's causing you no grief.

I like dogs with a some collie in, but when I tried a dog with beardie collie in, well, the ceuunt did my head in more than he was a pleasure to own lol. And since him, I've seen a fair few with beardie in, and I'd not own one of them.

I know there are people that say their beardie blooded dogs were/are fine, but are they 'really' just putting up with some of that 'quirky' behaviour? I know I did, just because mine was such a good catch dog, which I know is the prime reason for owning a lurcher, but I just couldn't get on with him.

Just to add, a couple of these dogs I speak about with beardie in, weren't bred at hancocks or bred from hancocks dogs. ?

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 2
53 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I think that's probably the best way really mate. Find what type suits you and that you actually like, and stick with it if it's causing you no grief.

I like dogs with a some collie in, but when I tried a dog with beardie collie in, well, the ceuunt did my head in more than he was a pleasure to own lol. And since him, I've seen a fair few with beardie in, and I'd not own one of them.

I know there are people that say their beardie blooded dogs were/are fine, but are they 'really' just putting up with some of that 'quirky' behaviour? I know I did, just because mine was such a good catch dog, which I know is the prime reason for owning a lurcher, but I just couldn't get on with him.

Just to add, a couple of these dogs I speak about with beardie in, weren't bred at hancocks or bred from hancocks dogs. ?

Haha don’t get me wrong mate I’m not anti collie and one bitch I had many moons ago was a great catch dog but could be temperamental I shouted at her once for some reason then not long after bolted a rabbit that ran across a open field and she didn’t even try it was as if she sayin feck you and I lost her not long after a keeper poisoned her and her pup , going back to beardie /grey the one a mate has is a pleasure to watch think you seen a photo I put up of her ?

4 hours ago, bird said:

My last lurcher used to do that too but only when he was lamping. There's a famous photo of a kelpie called Shanahan's Loo literally standing up like a kangaroo.

1 hour ago, Loton Moocher said:

Haha don’t get me wrong mate I’m not anti collie and one bitch I had many moons ago was a great catch dog but could be temperamental I shouted at her once for some reason then not long after bolted a rabbit that ran across a open field and she didn’t even try it was as if she sayin feck you and I lost her not long after a keeper poisoned her and her pup , going back to beardie /grey the one a mate has is a pleasure to watch think you seen a photo I put up of her ?

I have indeed seen that picture mate, lovely looking pup. That's it with lurchers though I think, maybe some of that quirkiness, sensitive etc behaviour could 'possibly' come from certain sighthound parents in the pups breeding? 

1 hour ago, Neal said:

My last lurcher used to do that too but only when he was lamping. There's a famous photo of a kelpie called Shanahan's Loo literally standing up like a kangaroo.

An old mate of mine had a collie/grey/bull/whippet used to do it,  and bounce up and down between cover, if his view was obstructed lol