Disgusted!

As you all know I am very impressed with my cz457 22. So much so I got one in 17hmr just last night. As it was dark I was unable to bore sight it last night but I was very conscious about  the barrel running left in the stock channel (it's a wide channel).

I initially thought the stock must be slightly bent. I mean it cant be the barrel or its mating to the receiver right! Wrong, it is!

I got out first light and in a sheltered spot finally got it zeroed but the scope was way off centre. Something was wrong! It didn't look right.

So this afternoon  I pulled the barrel from the action and added a .008" shim on the left side between the barrel and receiver and tightened it down.

To my delight the barrel is now in the centre of the stock channel and bore sighting revealed that the scope needed now shifting back to being closer to centre. 

The other issue is I doubt this rifle will shoot super tight groups although its early days yet but the crown is terrible in my opinion.  The bevelled edge is uneven all the way around! That means that it is not square to the bore axis!

Apart from all that I just managed to get a zero in the fading light tonight.

What a come down. I've been  really excited about getting this rifle but now wonder what have I done! I guess these days you can not count on anything being right anymore. Producers just presume a cnc machine cant get it wrong! But they do. Give me analogue human craftsmanship  any day!

Ergonomically it's great for my delicate frame and girl sized hands. I was connecting with small targets at 200 offhand and off sticks so we will have to just wait and see.

The trigger is good though.

Is it me or is this world doomed.....!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a great laugh guys ? Now if I may....alls looking good with the rifle. I tested it yesterday and its impressive to say the least. Just  need a fox to blood it proper. It seems to like t

I was actually being funny when I said ".308 is a bit overkill" ? I only have .22lr, .17HMR and the .308 win, Each serves its purpose, the .22 just bounce off, the .17 ya need to shoot em up the

As you all know I am very impressed with my cz457 22. So much so I got one in 17hmr just last night. As it was dark I was unable to bore sight it last night but I was very conscious about  the barrel

Posted Images

It’s not on at all sd, I’m pretty sure you’ve come across your fair share of up and coming young nuggets in the engineering trade, I know the building trades full of them and I wouldn’t have a new house given:(

when it’s your job to inspect said rifles faults like that should scream out when you know what you should be lookin for..

I’m a dopey bricklayer and can crown barrels tru in me kitchen?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sad. I've found good quality in the Japanese made browning barrels which is why I stick with them. Did you buy new? I wouldn't have a second hand rifle if you paid me to take it. 

I just watched Fred dibnah on riveting an old boiler, he said this generation would be lost, no one today knows engineering as it was. The skills of yesteryear have been lost now, unfortunately. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
36 minutes ago, si brown said:

It’s not on at all sd, I’m pretty sure you’ve come across your fair share of up and coming young nuggets in the engineering trade, I know the building trades full of them and I wouldn’t have a new house given:(

when it’s your job to inspect said rifles faults like that should scream out when you know what you should be lookin for..

I’m a dopey bricklayer and can crown barrels tru in me kitchen?

Tell me about it. Taking your car to the garage these days is a pure gamble. Odds on a spotty faced kid with a box full of certificates from college is unleashed on your timing belt when he cant even belt up his own trousers!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
21 minutes ago, Gav said:

Sad. I've found good quality in the Japanese made browning barrels which is why I stick with them. Did you buy new? I wouldn't have a second hand rifle if you paid me to take it. 

I just watched Fred dibnah on riveting an old boiler, he said this generation would be lost, no one today knows engineering as it was. The skills of yesteryear have been lost now, unfortunately. 

New Gav. Its come out of the factory thus!

A rather good rfd near me has now stopped selling CZ, partly due to the Sportsman being the importer but also because he said they started getting more than normal levels of QC issues and guns being returned so perhaps it is not just your Bernard.

Phil

• Sad 2

I have got it trued up now. I know I shouldn't have to but I knew what to do and being use to fixing stuff just got on with it.

Casually rested it's running 1" groups at 100 . Time is needed now to let it prove itself or otherwise.

It shoots great off hand which is important to me.

• Like 4

I'd complain to CZ in any event. There are 2 possibilities: 1. They're saving cash somewhere and it's back firing. 2. Someone in the factory is rogue and doesn't know what they're doing or maybe they're p*ssed at the company and do know what they're doing!

Either way, CZ need to know if the guns they're turning out are now crap. Without that, the whole brands going to go downhill in the long run. Best to feed it back even if you're not going to return the gun and point out others have been having similar problems and people are now abandoning the brand.

Personally I'd have returned it. It protects you against issues down the line plus whatever improvement you've made to the gun is nothing to what you could achieve if you did it to a gun that's right in the 1st place. 

Edited by Alsone
On 04/11/2020 at 14:12, philpot said:

A rather good rfd near me has now stopped selling CZ, partly due to the Sportsman being the importer but also because he said they started getting more than normal levels of QC issues and guns being returned so perhaps it is not just your Bernard.

Phil

I really am behind the times, what happened to Edgar Bros??