Foodies Of The Massive; My Curry?

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's a very basic curry ,no chillies ,tomatoes ,spice ,herbs ,Pakistani pubic hairs ?

Oh, you poor, miserable fukkas!!! You weren't here, tonight, to help me get amongst These!!! Al' Rocks!  Nuff fukking said!!!

Oh; Dear Fukking God!!! Sorry. I Know I said I'd put a shot on 'What's Cooking'. But, why break from This thread, to show what amounts to the Culmination of all this? I tried to take a grea

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Fresh Coriander is in the pipe line!!! At Last!!! :D :D :D Fukking cracked it! My mates wife's gonna be grabbing me some, next week! Fukking Sorted!!! :D

Off to Amazon, in a minute, for some poxy fukkin cloves! I was so sure the supermarket would have a little Schwartz jar? Fukking Ground, weren't they! FFS! 

GL; What's " A decent veg oil ", please? I've only got this old half bottle of the cheapest shit out there. I use it for frying the odd egg. If you reckon it matters? By all means name me a brand, please. I'll get it :)

Are " Curry Leaves " different to Bay leaves?

I use U.K. rapeseed oil. More refined it good , get yourself curry leaves or get ya own curry leaf tree and a few naga chilli plants for from end of may look after em you got the base ?

Edited by green lurchers
  • Thanks 1

Right. Thanks. That's white basmati rice and rapeseed oil on my list then :)

I think I'll throw this last couple of kilo's of brown to the birds. There's nothing that wrong with it. It just doesn't Add anything to the table. Fukk making a five star curry, then chucking it on two star rice :(

Just been reading about Curry Trees. Unfortunately, as I said to my mate, only today; " I'm for ever being told, 'Grow this! Grow that!'. And I'm trying to politely field it all by gently indicating it's just not possible, given my situation."

Mate asked why not. Like I told him; " I only have One south facing window. The one the dogs like to sit in. "

Garlic in a bucket? Dogs would dig it out, or knock it over. Far simpler to just grab shit off Amazon.

OK, looks like your starting to take an interest in what your shoving into your gob, good for you, stocking up the right way with the spices as well, (small jars for a quid a time are a rip off), play with them, find out what you like and try altering things, one thing I would recommend though is write down what mixes you use and make notes of how it was, nothing worse than knocking up a smashing meal then not being able to get it the same again.

• Like 2

I'm a creepy, cautious, note taking fukker by nature, Neil! :D  Practically OCD about some shit. This is why I scoured the known universe for my British made measuring spoons - I think I mentioned those, somewhere in this madly conflated thread?

For now though? It's " Al's Kitchen ", all the way. I'll be using him as a bench mark. I'll let him show me what a Korma is, compared to a Phal. Then, if I live long enough? I can take it from there ;)

40 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

I'm a creepy, cautious, note taking fukker by nature, Neil! :D  Practically OCD about some shit. This is why I scoured the known universe for my British made measuring spoons - I think I mentioned those, somewhere in this madly conflated thread?

For now though? It's " Al's Kitchen ", all the way. I'll be using him as a bench mark. I'll let him show me what a Korma is, compared to a Phal. Then, if I live long enough? I can take it from there ;)

keep a bar of chocolate or a couple of milky way`s handy for when you balls up the chilli levels, stops your mouth melting but your arris is on its own when it all exits, ghost chilli`s are the reason for keeping bog roll in the fridge

• Haha 2

First Blood! Well, after a fashion ..... ;)

I've finally amassed enough stuff to knock up some of Al's " Mixed Powder ". So, I did! :D That was nerve racking in itself. Just making sure I got all the ingredients lined up. Then keeping count of the spoons.

'Best' bit though was the Cumin! I've somehow managed to end up with a Kilogram of Cumin Seeds here. They go in the onion bhaji's and pilau rice. But, not being sure, I checked Al's video and, in his mixed powder,  he uses ground Powder! Fukking hell!!!

So, I googled my options. Seems the powder is made from dry roasted seeds? What's a man to do? Switched on my electric hot plate (Need jubilee clips to get the Spanish stove going yet) and broke out my Gorgeous frying pan and my Indian spoon! :D

Gave a handful of those muvva fukkas the dry roasting of their lives. Then, chucked them in a blender I happen to have handy. Blasted them to dust. Voila!!! Got my powders mixed correctly. And I now have a bit of ground cumin left, for when I make my Base Gravy. Perfect! 8) 

Good learning experience too. In that the mix calls for six tablespoons of curry powder? I had a 100g bag, I think it was? Was being the operative! Not a lot left now! Just sent for a Kilo replacement!

This is great fun! :D

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

I've finally amassed enough stuff to knock up some of Al's " Mixed Powder ". So, I did! :D That was nerve racking in itself. Just making sure I got all the ingredients lined up. Then keeping count of the spoons.

'Best' bit though was the Cumin! I've somehow managed to end up with a Kilogram of Cumin Seeds here. They go in the onion bhaji's and pilau rice. But, not being sure, I checked Al's video and, in his mixed powder,  he uses ground Powder! Fukking hell!!!

So, I googled my options. Seems the powder is made from dry roasted seeds? What's a man to do? Switched on my electric hot plate (Need jubilee clips to get the Spanish stove going yet) and broke out my Gorgeous frying pan and my Indian spoon! :D

Gave a handful of those muvva fukkas the dry roasting of their lives. Then, chucked them in a blender I happen to have handy. Blasted them to dust. Voila!!! Got my powders mixed correctly. And I now have a bit of ground cumin left, for when I make my Base Gravy. Perfect! 8) 

Good learning experience too. In that the mix calls for six tablespoons of curry powder? I had a 100g bag, I think it was? Was being the operative! Not a lot left now! Just sent for a Kilo replacement!

You're getting there mate lol ?

• Like 1

Go on YouTube there is loads on there but I like the hotter the better stuff but know one else in our house will eat it as they can’t take the heat.That Als kitchen and a couple of others is good on the tube but I like California reaper chillis,ghost chillies and shit in mine.So when I make it for the wife and others I keep it calm which I don’t mind but would rather have it hot.

43 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Ditch the powder Ken few fresh  curry leaves saves the gut rot,  use  fresh chillis you have the upper hand in flavour  ghost naga types plugs plants  resdy in March then you can stockpile ? got a handful frozen and plenty dried til next crop Beat the ass of any powder sauces 

9F27E5FD-4A85-43E9-9599-94DBFA2D9BEE.jpeg

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 3

Thing is, GL, I haven't got anywhere to grow shit, here. Everyone says " Just a south facing window sill! "? Well, I only have the one of those. And that's where the dogs like to sit.

Anywhere outside and what ever I put there would be destroyed. Trust me, I've thought through every possible possibility. You'd have to have an intimate knowledge of every detail of this place. Shape of the building to wind directions

I even considered GroLux lamps. (I have some, as it happens) But, the electric bill Vs. grabbing my limited needs from the market stall ...?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Thing is, GL, I haven't got anywhere to grow shit, here. Everyone says " Just a south facing window sill! "? Well, I only have the one of those. And that's where the dogs like to sit.

Anywhere outside and what ever I put there would be destroyed. Trust me, I've thought through every possible possibility. You'd have to have an intimate knowledge of every detail of this place. Shape of the building to wind directions

I even considered GroLux lamps. (I have some, as it happens) But, the electric bill Vs. grabbing my limited needs from the market stall ...?

You can keep em under a 100 w to 400 til early June. But them lamps seem to switch em into flower too quick. They then need July aug sept in the sun and avoid under 60 deg they like warm nights in or out but sun is best 

Edited by green lurchers

An Indian lady, (breathtakingly beautiful by the way) said to me that the food she cooks at home has absolutely no resemblance to the stuff they serve up in Indian restaurants. She described restaurant food as' pig swill for lager drunks.' I thought that a bit harsh, tastes good to me.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I guess what it is is it's simply what we're brought up with. I mean, just look at the provision of / levels of interest in " BIR " curry how too's. We want our 'pig swill'. We like it. It's what we know.

God knows what anyone else would make of the 'curries' I made, till a short while ago. Curry in name only, really. And the base 'gravy' was just pure bloody Water! Literally! I craved that thickened, sloppy goop I'd been used to on a Friday night from the " Indian Palace " takeaway.

That's what led me to Al's, look. And look where That's led me!

And it's All just so much fukking fun! :D

5 hours ago, green lurchers said:

Ditch the powder Ken few fresh  curry leaves saves the gut rot,  use  fresh chillis you have the upper hand in flavour  ghost naga types plugs plants  resdy in March then you can stockpile ? got a handful frozen and plenty dried til next crop Beat the ass of any powder sauces 

9F27E5FD-4A85-43E9-9599-94DBFA2D9BEE.jpeg

Ghost chilli's abit on the hot side for us mere mortals GL , do you grow milder ones , dont fancy sat on the bog with ring sting the next day ?? ??