I found this

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a bit of a sort out the other day and found this little radio. 22 years ago myself and half a million others converged on London to let our voices be heard to try and stop the ban on fox huntin

still got my cards from the waterloo cups that i attended.... and the red collar my bitch wore when she won the windmill cup

Truth is, if the hunt accidentally puts up a fox and kills it, they have broken no law they laid a scent trail ( through every good copse) so it’s an accident and not illegal, the same thing if you ar

Posted Images

18 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

The hunts have had to take a good look at themselves. They didn’t/don’t do themselves any favours in the eyes of a lot of the public. 
      Even some country people have little time for them . There is still a bit of an elitist element particularly with some of the famous hunts . But there are also some very working class packs doing a proper pest control job . 
       What the animal right brigade didn’t realise is that mounted fox hunting has very little to do with killing foxes and a lot to do with Exciting  horse riding . Foxes were positively encouraged to live in hunting areas . Where hunting is no longer happening. People like me go out at night and shoot them . I think if you asked the fox what he would prefer , a sporting chance or near certain death from a ballistic tip ? I know what his answer would be .

I wouldn't really know much about what hunts do as it's not my bag.  When I was a kid the hunt came though our property like the cavalry.  The dogs shit all over mums garden which didn't go down that well and they trapped  a fox in a land drain that emptied out into a pond pit at the end of the garden.  They spade blocked the drain so the water built up to flush Charlie out.!  That didn't work so they dug into the field half way and blocked both the inputs up.   I can remember standing at the top of the pit above the pipe outlet with all the hunt looking over. Eventually Charlie poked his head out of the pipe because he was being flushed out with freezing cold winter water. As soon as he popped out the pipe the hounds were down on the poor blighter in a flash and ripped the poor devil to pieces.  Some of the huntsmen went mad at the pack handlers for allowing this to happen because they had lost their sport. All of this had a quite traumatic effect on me as a young lad.  The violence of the whole situation and the unsportingness of it all. The hunt were banned off of the land over this event.  I don't think that the dogs offloading half a hundred weight of foul smelling Shiite in mums garden that they didn't clear up didn't help their cause.!!! Since then I've never had the time of day for the hunt and the pony club followers that are lost at the first fence.  I know that they did get the odd lame Fox but as far as I  could see was a snooty band of horse riders who rode roughshod over land that they wouldn't ride over off their own back.  Centrefire rifle is far more efficient.   

When I was17 I worked in Berkeley power station for a while , and when I started driving used to take my car through the lanes in the morning just to watch the Berkeley hunt doing the morning exercise, two old boys front and back on pushbikes running the pack down the road, often be stuck behind them for ages and late for work but much better than sticking to the Mway and main rd ?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Meece said:

I wouldn't really know much about what hunts do as it's not my bag.  When I was a kid the hunt came though our property like the cavalry.  The dogs shit all over mums garden which didn't go down that well and they trapped  a fox in a land drain that emptied out into a pond pit at the end of the garden.  They spade blocked the drain so the water built up to flush Charlie out.!  That didn't work so they dug into the field half way and blocked both the inputs up.   I can remember standing at the top of the pit above the pipe outlet with all the hunt looking over. Eventually Charlie poked his head out of the pipe because he was being flushed out with freezing cold winter water. As soon as he popped out the pipe the hounds were down on the poor blighter in a flash and ripped the poor devil to pieces.  Some of the huntsmen went mad at the pack handlers for allowing this to happen because they had lost their sport. All of this had a quite traumatic effect on me as a young lad.  The violence of the whole situation and the unsportingness of it all. The hunt were banned off of the land over this event.  I don't think that the dogs offloading half a hundred weight of foul smelling Shiite in mums garden that they didn't clear up didn't help their cause.!!! Since then I've never had the time of day for the hunt and the pony club followers that are lost at the first fence.  I know that they did get the odd lame Fox but as far as I  could see was a snooty band of horse riders who rode roughshod over land that they wouldn't ride over off their own back.  Centrefire rifle is far more efficient.   

Apart from the numerous bad experiences people have with hunting, let’s not forget that it’s a British tradition. The likes of Cherie Blair and Lacs want us all to conform to their ideals , it’s the principle as well for me . You might not ride with the hunt , or believe it’s an effective method of pest control. But it’s tradition and the the beating heart of some rural communities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 29/09/2020 at 18:18, dogmandont said:

So you don't think the toffs got a bit of leeway and the rest got thrown under the bus? Because that's how it looked. 

How often do you get sabbed out hunting? I'd rather be us than them, much harder to hide a pack of hounds and a mounted field than a lurcher or terrier out for a mooch

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Tyla said:

How often do you get sabbed out hunting? I'd rather be us than them, much harder to hide a pack of hounds and a mounted field than a lurcher or terrier out for a mooch

Who do you think the cops would take the most interest in, a full hunting field of horse and hounds or a couple of lads with a couple of terriers and lurchers? 

1 minute ago, dogmandont said:

Who do you think the cops would take the most interest in, a full hunting field of horse and hounds or a couple of lads with a couple of terriers and lurchers? 

Round here on a big hunt day they have near as many antis as followers along with a multi vehicle police team to keep the peace and make sure all is within the law. They are far too busy to worry about lurchers or terriers lol. Makes it an excellent day to take the dogs out elsewhere though.

• Like 1

In the main Ive found hunting people to be very polite and accommodating .Been invited back to many a farmhouse after hunting ,wined and dined by strangers .If you look on the upper class as just that then upper class they will remain ,to me everyone has a chance to be just a person .Years gone by I was the chap who provided a fox for a days hunting at two Wiltshire based packs .The name Foxdropper is just that person ,a name that has stuck .

I fell into the role by chance whilst digging on a day when the hunt was out and letting a fox run for them .

Got to know the then terrier man at one hunt and became good friends which in turn lead to days out and introductions .

Had some very close calls with antis that I wont print and would probably see me locked up and I can say  the hunting fraternity certainly look after their own .

I was there at the march ,went up on a coach organised by the Beaufort .We were all so convinced nothing would happen but sadly it did .

I agree the losers were lurcher and terrier lads that were discarded by our orgs ,thrown under the bus as a sacrifice to appease those who shouted loudest .

Hunting from what Ive seen hasn’t changed one iota just  got quieter with no hollering or horn blowing at various occurrences .

Nowadays I’m despised by the new gen hunt followers for shooting foxes in hunt country by invite from hunting farmers who have had enough of fox exercise .

The old way was to kill everything ,nowadays it’s all about the jolly on horseback and pr .

• Like 2