Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jigsaw

alarming reaction

Recommended Posts

Can’t personally understand why you would even consider giving the dog up after owning him for a year. Dog is a companion first and hunter second in my opinion, that bond you say you have should stop any thoughts of letting him go. In terms of the dog you are lying to yourself in a massive way if you think sending him to another country is going to be anything other than hugely distressing and upsetting for him even if he does eventually settle with another owner. You buy/breed a pup you should own it for life unless something truly exceptional happens. Hope that doesn’t come across to strong but hate to see good loyal dogs passed around. My opinion only. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

24 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

Can’t personally understand why you would even consider giving the dog up after owning him for a year. Dog is a companion first and hunter second in my opinion, that bond you say you have should stop any thoughts of letting him go. In terms of the dog you are lying to yourself in a massive way if you think sending him to another country is going to be anything other than hugely distressing and upsetting for him even if he does eventually settle with another owner. You buy/breed a pup you should own it for life unless something truly exceptional happens. Hope that doesn’t come across to strong but hate to see good loyal dogs passed around. My opinion only. 

Can see where you’re coming from, and if a dog does nothing wrong then you’re right it deserves a home for life. But if you’ve got dogs to do a certain job & they’re not up to that job, you can’t be expected to keep them. That’s not meaning they should be sold, that should never happen, either pet home or PTS

Obviously that’s not the case with jigsaws as it’s too young to have been tried and tested but I just mean in general the “dogs are for life” thing doesn’t always apply.

Edited by Shadow100

Share this post


Link to post
On 13/09/2020 at 00:27, jigsaw said:

The thing is, this dog is obsessed with me, just like his sister is, and I can't say for certain that this lad is ready for the shit holocaust the dog might bring, and possibly upset his other dogs in kennels, my family want me to keep him, and I thing for all parties involved,.. The dog.. The possible new owner and me it may be best if I do,.. 

I gave away a dog when I was younger,very loyal and one man type,I found out later it went crazy and was put down.I wish I had PTS the animal as I couldn't keep him,he was a working dog/whippet type lurcher.Still feel sad about my decision 30 years later.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Bobtheferret said:

Can’t personally understand why you would even consider giving the dog up after owning him for a year. Dog is a companion first and hunter second in my opinion, that bond you say you have should stop any thoughts of letting him go. In terms of the dog you are lying to yourself in a massive way if you think sending him to another country is going to be anything other than hugely distressing and upsetting for him even if he does eventually settle with another owner. You buy/breed a pup you should own it for life unless something truly exceptional happens. Hope that doesn’t come across to strong but hate to see good loyal dogs passed around. My opinion only. 

Well, the situation is like this, I've refused 5 people the dog, from both here and across the pond, and for strong money too from 2...I had my pick of the litter from 2 weeks old, this dog here was 1st born, a smashing little lad from the moment he opened his eyes, I only intended on keeping one from the litter and told katchum on numerous occasions that I couldn't understand how he was overlooked by everyone that viewed them... The reason I wanted him rehome is that he gets plenty of work and a good owner, I know I will struggle to get enough work for 2,as rabbits aren't as plentiful as they once were, my intentions of rehoming kevlar(the dog pup) was to ensure he'd get the work and lifestyle he was bred for, but it's a done deal now, he's on my team now, he won't be getting exhausted from hunting anytime soon I reckon lol

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, jigsaw said:

Well, the situation is like this, I've refused 5 people the dog, from both here and across the pond, and for strong money too from 2...I had my pick of the litter from 2 weeks old, this dog here was 1st born, a smashing little lad from the moment he opened his eyes, I only intended on keeping one from the litter and told katchum on numerous occasions that I couldn't understand how he was overlooked by everyone that viewed them... The reason I wanted him rehome is that he gets plenty of work and a good owner, I know I will struggle to get enough work for 2,as rabbits aren't as plentiful as they once were, my intentions of rehoming kevlar(the dog pup) was to ensure he'd get the work and lifestyle he was bred for, but it's a done deal now, he's on my team now, he won't be getting exhausted from hunting anytime soon I reckon lol

Fair enough I understand the reasons but I genuinely think the dog would rather a life of little bunnies and hunting but with you than plentiful hunting but the huge psychological upheaval of moving homes etc. Right decision and good luck with him. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Is is an abbreviation for Kevin Larkin? Jigsaw strikes me as the kind of person who'd name his dog after a political correspondent for the BBC.🤣

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post

Kevlar came about when at 3 weeks old I dropped a metal cooking pot and with the clang of the metal hitting the floor, all the pups scattered in terror, but he just squatted down, I got the idea he was bulletproof.... Hence Kevlar.... Or was it 2 of my kids are kevin and Laura..... Nah... It was the 1st one

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

Kevlar came about when at 3 weeks old I dropped a metal cooking pot and with the clang of the metal hitting the floor, all the pups scattered in terror, but he just squatted down, I got the idea he was bulletproof.... Hence Kevlar.... Or was it 2 of my kids are kevin and Laura..... Nah... It was the 1st one

Great idea Jigsaw; I do like a bit of background story behind names. Mine are a bit boring compared to that: Noggin had a massive head like a bucket compared to the rest of the pups in the litter (though his head is now smaller than Ned's who was normal build as a pup). And Ned was named after my daughter Dilly! We'd not had a girl in the family in 36 years so we were expecting another boy and had decided on Ned. When we found out we had a daughter we decided to keep the name for a future kelpie...though everybody assumes he's named after Ned Kelly. Apparently it also stands for Non Educated Delinquent.😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, Neal said:

Great idea Jigsaw; I do like a bit of background story behind names. Mine are a bit boring compared to that: Noggin had a massive head like a bucket compared to the rest of the pups in the litter (though his head is now smaller than Ned's who was normal build as a pup). And Ned was named after my daughter Dilly! We'd not had a girl in the family in 36 years so we were expecting another boy and had decided on Ned. When we found out we had a daughter we decided to keep the name for a future kelpie...though everybody assumes he's named after Ned Kelly. Apparently it also stands for Non Educated Delinquent.😁

I have to admit( quite asahamedly) I was probably a Ned when I was younger, I think Glasgow started that trend 😳😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 16/09/2020 at 10:23, jigsaw said:

Well, the situation is like this, I've refused 5 people the dog, from both here and across the pond, and for strong money too from 2...I had my pick of the litter from 2 weeks old, this dog here was 1st born, a smashing little lad from the moment he opened his eyes, I only intended on keeping one from the litter and told katchum on numerous occasions that I couldn't understand how he was overlooked by everyone that viewed them... The reason I wanted him rehome is that he gets plenty of work and a good owner, I know I will struggle to get enough work for 2,as rabbits aren't as plentiful as they once were, my intentions of rehoming kevlar(the dog pup) was to ensure he'd get the work and lifestyle he was bred for, but it's a done deal now, he's on my team now, he won't be getting exhausted from hunting anytime soon I reckon lol

I think you made the right choice jigsaw 👍Wish you all the best .

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...