Stupidest mole trap ever!

" l have my own traps. " said the customer. 

"I'll bring my own."  answered l.

Thank Heaven l did. The things he had were like medieval torture devices. They required seperate levers to set and were ,if not impossible , certainly very hard to set-up sensitively. In fact they bordered on being dangerous to handle ! 

20200902_085913.jpg.8d1f2655a28f177e9ed33a5bf6ca4423.jpg

7 hours ago, comanche said:

Thank Heaven l did. The things he had were like medieval torture devices. They required seperate levers to set and were ,if not impossible , certainly very hard to set-up sensitively. In fact they bordered on being dangerous to handle ! 

What make of trap are they? I do find different trap designs very interesting.  Of course, some designs are better than others lol

8 hours ago, comanche said:

Victor Out o sight from America or copies.

First choice for a lot of the US wildlife guys. You set them by flattening the tunnel and cutting slits for the killing arms to slide into with the trigger flat on soil over the compressed tunnel. Some people modify them with a piece of semi circular dowel fixed under the trigger plate.

Beagle is bad, have a look at the Super Cat Mole Trap or the Talpirid, you wouldn’t want to carry many of them on your round

• Like 1
1 hour ago, talpa said:

Victor Out o sight from America or copies.

First choice for a lot of the US wildlife guys. You set them by flattening the tunnel and cutting slits for the killing arms to slide into with the trigger flat on soil over the compressed tunnel. Some people modify them with a piece of semi circular dowel fixed under the trigger plate.

Beagle is bad, have a look at the Super Cat Mole Trap or the Talpirid, you wouldn’t want to carry many of them on your round

They do look like Victors. Maybe they have an application in the "cave-in" type sets but they seem designed for bigger moles than ours. I know l would lose those setting tools in about five minutes!?

Funnily enough, l bought two Beagles when they came out partly because l was curious but mainly because they were on offer at seven quid each.

As work-horses they are a bit delicate for chucking in a bag and rattling about with a bunch of conventional traps. 

Maybe it is just our local soil type that lends itself to neat rectangular holes but l've had a lot of success with them.

Ideal for the householder who wants a trap in their shed for occasional use,but we don"t want to encourage that sort of thing ?

For the £25 they are offered at now l'd definately pass.

Edited by comanche

In the early days of mole trapping out here the Beagle certainly got me plenty of business. I could have opened a shop with all the redundant Beagles, sonic mole deterrents and those devices that set off a 9mm blank cartridge, plus the ancient scissor traps that people had inherited along the way. I've still got some of the traps customers donated including one tunnel trap engraved Duffus and a strange little Fen single wire mole trap.

The victors are American and totally overpowered 

their moles are slightly lArger but not to the extent they need a spring like that

ive sent tunnels and talpex and putanges to fellow mole trappers over there and they’ve come round to the fact mole trapping is an art if you will

they have a horrible step on trap that sets when you tread on it like a concertina

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah those are extremely popular over here either them or the little clinch traps. Yall are really the first buch ive ever heard complaints about them from, then again im not a mole guy.

Last time I played with one I was able to set it with my hand and foot,was a little irritating but compared to somthing like a 220 or a 330 meh.

• 5 weeks later...

Victor Out o Sight mole traps work great, but do need some trigger modification to make them more sensitive.  I've caught tens of thousands of moles with them.  Very similar design to Talpex, right? 

And the reason for such a strong spring is that the way most people set them, they close through dirt.  

Edited by Steve Albano

Anything less "Out of Sight" than those Victor monster munchers are , I have yet to fecking see..?

However, the trigger mechanism is pretty slick,..I've had some Talpex triggers modified in a similar way and by feck, do they fire quick..:thumbs:

Edited by OldPhil