New shottie under 4k

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think I’ve been stood behind you at the deli counter in my local Tesco , rolling my eyes as you try every bit of cheddar before you decided that you would have to go away and think about it . ?

Obviously if it’s o/u it’s gay, because it’s got its barrels on the wrong way round ?

I went to a simulated day with a mate who hadn’t done much shooting . First drive he burnt is finger on the barrels and got a big blister . The second drive was in the grouse butts and the clays were

1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

That’s true . And they aren’t losing speed either. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea , but shooting clays has improved my game shooting. 
              Have a go at fitasc if you find standard sporting predictable and mundane , you might like it . 

Funnily enough i found the opposite. The better at clays i got the worse at shooting anything live i got.

I have found that shooting pigeon and crows gets me back into the swing quite nicely. Luckily i have some good pigeon and crow shooting and it is free.

I started my daughter shooting last year because she said she had wanted to for years. I took her several times to a localish clay shoot and she liked it. I took her last week on the pigeons and crows which she really liked but she said this is nothing like clays. She said "it is a lot faster, they are harder to hit and clays don't change direction quickly when they see you". 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

I do a couple of simulated game days every year . I’ve missed one due to convid but I’m down for one next week . And we shoot the drives with someone loading and then swap, Christ you can get through some cartridges. ?

I lost count of how many shots I had and how many times I messed up loading trying to get more shots off quicker

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I am not a fan of clays either but one of the lads in our shoot has 4 traps and puts on simulated days. I did one and it was great fun apart from burning your hands on the barrels , I fired 250 cartridges in 1/2 an hour.

I went to a simulated day with a mate who hadn’t done much shooting . First drive he burnt is finger on the barrels and got a big blister . The second drive was in the grouse butts and the clays were coming at you , a shard of clay hit him on his bald head and blood started pouring out . By the last drive his shoulder was black and blue and he couldn’t mount the gun . He said“ f@ck this for a game of soldiers “, I don’t think he’s shot since .??

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1

I watched a feller shooting clays with the gun out of his shoulder and with arms stretched out forward! Hit them though. I asked him how he developed his gun mount?! He said "I hate recoil, make my shoulder hurt".

It only takes a poor fitting gun or a rushed and wrong mount to cause a good bruising.

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, ianm said:

Funnily enough i found the opposite. The better at clays i got the worse at shooting anything live i got.

I have found that shooting pigeon and crows gets me back into the swing quite nicely. Luckily i have some good pigeon and crow shooting and it is free.

I started my daughter shooting last year because she said she had wanted to for years. I took her several times to a localish clay shoot and she liked it. I took her last week on the pigeons and crows which she really liked but she said this is nothing like clays. She said "it is a lot faster, they are harder to hit and clays don't change direction quickly when they see you". 

As the weeks have gone by shooting pigeon and crows my hit count has risen. It's me muzzleloaders making me over compensate lead wise. It's only a couple of feet difference on average but it makes heck of a difference. Last night I was just above 50% which to some is lousy but they weren't over deeks. I was in some rushes waiting for passing birds. The most of which were on me with little warning so I was snap shooting. It was exciting. Hearing shot pellets connecting and watching a crow fold is a pure delight.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

When I started clay shooting it was as a laugh , a few of us used to go to a small Sunday morning 50 birder and it was a good way of improving my then lousy marksmanship . 
        I soon discovered a couple of disturbing personality traits about myself, I am very competitive and I am a bit of a big head . One of the lads continually shot a few clays better than me . I just couldn’t have that . So I snuck off to Wednesday evening skeet and Thursday evening sporting , and got a new gun . It wasn’t long and I had the top score . The lads I shot with just a went for a laugh and a piss take , but I took it seriously and tried to concentrate and would get the hump . New serious “clay mates” were called for and I had an old friend who was shooting for the county and started shooting with him . What a difference going around the registered shoots . I love shooting clays , it is a complete escape , I forget everything else and focus and concentrate, try to remember all the sequences and rituals I go through, and fix my mind on that clay . For me there is nothing like it . If I shoot well , I feel on top of the world , shoot badly and go very quiet  , I’ve even thought about kicking the dog a couple of times.?

I have to admit that I love clay shooting, trap (all disciplines), skeet and sporting, both my wife and myself shoot at Beverley shooting ground which is one of the best trap clubs in the uk.  We always have a few weeks every year at John Bidwells place, Highlodge, in Suffolk,  stunning lodges around a lake so the fishing rods are always set up ready for a couple of hours on the carp,  the lure rod for the perch and a few carp as well as they will take tiny grub lures, I take the air rifle as well for a bit of fun on the woodland layout and best of all one of the top sporting clays venues in the uk with plug and play systems so you can shoot any of the 28 stands, one of the 4 compak layouts,  DTL, Ball trap and skeet to keep us happy.

I confess that we had to cancel our two weeks holiday this year but it is rearranged for next May and hopefully again later in the year for another week or short break.

Highlodge and clay shooting / air rifle shooting / fishing...................................................whats not to like. ?

https://highlodge.co.uk/holiday-lodges-in-suffolk/

Roll on next May and roll on tomorrow as we are going to shoot DTL and Ball trap at Beverley.....................LOVE IT

Phil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, philpot said:

I have to admit that I love clay shooting, trap (all disciplines), skeet and sporting, both my wife and myself shoot at Beverley shooting ground which is one of the best trap clubs in the uk.  We always have a few weeks every year at John Bidwells place, Highlodge, in Suffolk,  stunning lodges around a lake so the fishing rods are always set up ready for a couple of hours on the carp,  the lure rod for the perch and a few carp as well as they will take tiny grub lures, I take the air rifle as well for a bit of fun on the woodland layout and best of all one of the top sporting clays venues in the uk with plug and play systems so you can shoot any of the 28 stands, one of the 4 compak layouts,  DTL, Ball trap and skeet to keep us happy.

I confess that we had to cancel our two weeks holiday this year but it is rearranged for next May and hopefully again later in the year for another week or short break.

Highlodge and clay shooting / air rifle shooting / fishing...................................................whats not to like. ?

https://highlodge.co.uk/holiday-lodges-in-suffolk/

Roll on next May and roll on tomorrow as we are going to shoot DTL and Ball trap at Beverley.....................LOVE IT

Phil

I’ve just shown the Mrs the high lodge link ..... It’s a work in progress ?

9 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I’ve just shown the Mrs the high lodge link ..... It’s a work in progress ?

It is based about 10mins drive from Minsmere reserve and 15mins from the resort of Southwold, 25mins from Aldeburgh and 50mins from Ipswich so plenty to see, a lovely part of the country SL, we have been going for 15 years.

Good luck in your quest.  see you there perhaps ?

Phil

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philpot said:

It is based about 10mins drive from Minsmere reserve and 15mins from the resort of Southwold, 25mins from Aldeburgh and 50mins from Ipswich so plenty to see, a lovely part of the country SL, we have been going for 15 years.

Good luck in your quest.  see you there perhaps ?

Phil

Looks good Phil?

• Like 1
On 26/08/2020 at 10:08, shovel leaner said:

I have an opinion on handling and swinging a shotgun. I’m probably going to get shot to pieces for saying this , but here goes . Unless you have done a lot of shooting and put the hours in at the clay ground or a lot more hours in live quarry shooting, then you probably haven’t really developed muscle memory and a real feel for what kind of fit and swing you prefer . Most shotguns have standard stock dimensions that will fit most people and unless you are unusually tall or fat or short, then they should be ok . I’m 6,2” and I could  pick up and shoot nearly every shotgun I handle. I would advise Rabid , who has done a fair bit by the sounds of it to get the gun that he finds the most pleasing to his eye ( pride of ownership, is a real factor) and wallet , and then take it to a skeet range and get used to it . I reckon skeet is the best way of developing muscle memory and sight picture, and forming a unit with a new gun . Here endeth the sermon. Amen ? 

Everyone's different however it not about muscle memory but how comfortable you feel with the gun. The balance of both berreta and browning family guns is fundamentally different. I have now doubt anyone that can shoot can shoot either. However, most find they're more comfortable with one than the other and the more comfortable and natural a gun feels in your hands, the better it swings and the better you shoot. I know of plenty of people who bought 1st and then a year down the line tried the other brand and instantly liked it more and shot better, with instant regret for buying 1st. As said we're all different but when spending £4K, I'd tend to err on the side of caution and spend a few weeks at a shoot establishing what feels most natural and easiest to you before buying.

• Like 1