Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jude

Lack of rabbits

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, fred90 said:

exactly there is a reason they have disappeared in the first place. dropped off in old setts? it's not that simple. 

I read some were that vhd once it’s wiped a colony out there Warrens can harbour vhd virus for 8months or more the infected area can keep getting topped up with the virus in the area by other species of animals passing through the land as carriers plus humans walking from spot to spot helping it spread. It’s like sending lambs to slaughter dropping them off

Share this post


Link to post

17 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

It’s different for me I don’t have any permission so it’s purely sporting. We rotate as best we can and give places a bit of a rest so everything doesn’t end up getting pushed about and going all scatty. I’ve worked on farms & sporting estates when I was younger so I know what it’s like got no problems with denting numbers when they become a real hazard but youll know yourself some people just go on a free for all every time they get out the motor.

Heard a keeper say before they’d totally wiped out the rabbit population because “the raptors come for the rabbits and stay for the grouse”. Any excuse for a killing spree is what he meant to say I think 😂

I love my deer so really gets to me when places drop them on sight, for some pathetic excuse like a roebuck scratched my favourite tree a few weeks ago so they’ve all got to go. Saw a similar article saying an estate were wiping out the muntjac because they were eating too many bluebells ffs, creative way of saying “we’ll make a fortune off the stalking” 

Iv been in that boat mate an we used to have to travel far an wide so game didn’t wise up early on, I like a more relaxed approach these days haha means I can usually take the kids an that with me an enjoy the day rather than focused on gettin more in bag 😁 truth is tho o honestly think dogs an dog men are the last thing any critter needs to worry about, way things are going every farmers an his ma knows they craic an most won’t entertain dogs on land unless your a blood relative up this way an will work with keepers an cops to make sure any poachers get the book thrown at em, won’t be long till hunting with dogs will be like back in the days when your lurcher has to live under the stairs, incase it gets its toes clipped 😁 well you know what I mean, another generation or 2 an I don’t think many will work dogs like the way we do 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Black neck said:

round about me i take a few and leave a few thats me excuse for being shite anyroad 

Same as mine pal 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, poxon said:

I read some were that vhd once it’s wiped a colony out there Warrens can harbour vhd virus for 8months or more the infected area can keep getting topped up with the virus in the area by other species of animals passing through the land as carriers plus humans walking from spot to spot helping it spread. It’s like sending lambs to slaughter dropping them off

I stated at the start . Wait at least a 150 days before dropping.  Maybe I was just lucky on the half a dozen sites I dropped them .that was 6 year ago . It's good to see them when out walking now . It was a dour walk before hand

Edited by The drover
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, nothernlite said:

Where thete is plenty kill as many as you can not so many take less nice to see what the dogs can do and why not beats the keepers filling thete drop boxes  one of the bits i do keepers had 8000 in 3 months in drop boxes other bit i do keeper has left them for me hes a good man lol 

Bloody hell thats incredible! 8000 in 3 months, just with drop boxes?? How big an area are we talking?

Share this post


Link to post

Let's just say that my pair have had an awful lot of practice on squirrels the last couple of years .........

#nobunnies

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

Bloody hell thats incredible! 8000 in 3 months, just with drop boxes?? How big an area are we talking?

Alot of money for estate new head keeper putting drop boxes everywhere the estate is 20.000 acres  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, poxon said:

think in this day an age you need a dog bred ready for anything not bred for a set job you gotta keep your options open with no restrictions with a dog that’s a master of none unless you keep a load of dogs for set jobs 

Cant see what you mean by rabbit only dogs ? Lurchers have a fair amount of sight hound blood so most will chase most things ? Example have your dogs not caught partridges on the lamp ? Hence most lurchers will have anything if encouraged in the right way ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, The drover said:

Instead of ferreting and killing them . Catch them drop them in old sets that have none . Do your bit lads . Beats moaning about it 

That’s what I’ve done at back of mine i released about a dozen a couple year back there breeding and spreading out a bit now so hopefully they do ok 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

Cant see what you mean by rabbit only dogs ? Lurchers have a fair amount of sight hound blood so most will chase most things ? Example have your dogs not caught partridges on the lamp ? Hence most lurchers will have anything if encouraged in the right way ?

Most the small mooching types of lurcher about are at nothing more than rabbits mate that’s the reality of it ie beddy whippets collie whippets straight whippets collie greyhounds most beddy greyhounds about now days are nothing more than rabbiters that’s there stable if this wasn’t the case you wouldn’t of been pming me asking if I know any decent stud dogs about a couple of months back 👍🏽The young bitch I’ve got hasn’t had lamped partridge she’s not even entered  to the lamp as of yet but to be honest if we were relying on partridge as the main stability of lamping round here you may as well pack up lamping as you’re be doing no lamp work looking for no return. Most Lurchers will try there luck but most thinks but that doesn’t me they can do the job most ain’t suited to anything more than rabbits or like you’ve said partridge or taking the odd pheasant out it’s seat daytime mooching but not everyone has partridge about or pheasant tbh as much as I love the traditional moochers they are restricted in many ways unless you have a bit of size an power bred in to them an there bred ready for anything even then there’s no guarantees ie my white bitch!

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, poxon said:

Most the small mooching types of lurcher about are at nothing more than rabbits mate that’s the reality of it ie beddy whippets collie whippets straight whippets collie greyhounds most beddy greyhounds about now days are nothing more than rabbiters that’s there stable if this wasn’t the case you wouldn’t of been pming me asking if I know any decent stud dogs about a couple of months back 👍🏽The young bitch I’ve got hasn’t had lamped partridge she’s not even entered  to the lamp as of yet but to be honest if we were relying on partridge as the main stability of lamping round here you may as well pack up lamping as you’re be doing no lamp work looking for no return. Most Lurchers will try there luck but most thinks but that doesn’t me they can do the job most ain’t suited to anything more than rabbits or like you’ve said partridge or taking the odd pheasant out it’s seat daytime mooching but not everyone has partridge about or pheasant tbh as much as I love the traditional moochers they are restricted in many ways unless you have a bit of size an power bred in to them an there bred ready for anything even then there’s no guarantees ie my white bitch!

I take it your teeth only ? And what i expect in a lurcher is to a fill the pot even tho mine will knock a fox over ? And didnt pm you to find me a stud dog i told you it was  coz if you mention breeding you get classed a peddlar did u not ? 

Share this post


Link to post

If I owned a dog that just did rabbits, I would spend all my time travelling and searching for them... I only ask that a dog tries, has a go... I got no problem jumping in and giving the old coup de grace help them out... I think sometimes folks expect too much too soon, sometimes their first few experiences can be too much, very rarely are things textbook so to speak.. Owned and given away dogs that didn't like the tasks I put in front of em..... Only to come good later on for someone else.... Also had dogs and been told they don't like this or that... And they have become very good, excelled even at the given task🤔I once gave a terrier bitch I bred 4 yrs to come good, would try her,every f***ing week🙈 no interest, back on the couples, dig it with her dam or sisters..... One day the penny dropped, her first dig, she was like an old pro..... She was garenteed on fox, very small bitch, she went to a gun pack at 6 yrs old, and never put a foot wrong until she died working... I still kick myself for letting her go, but she didn't figure in my plans at the time.... You live and learn👍

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...