If it wasn't for the crow!

3 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

Sounds like it,s spending time Si ,and reversing over the current scope to put it out of your misery. I too had an unproductive night ,out at 9.30 just bunnies and a herd of cows to be seen .

You could smell where Charlie  had been minging stink but no show and at 1am the moon came out brighter than Trump,s teeth but i think the biggest problem was the wind direction it changed more times than the wifes mind .So i couldn.t sneak up on an incontinent deaf elephant if i tried .

A frustrating night all round .

Thing is bc it is supposed to be a good scope it’s  a £500 vortex and it couldn’t pick out the fox that I spotted with a £15 set of binoculars that I bought from Lidl. 
been thinking about biting the bullet and buying a leupold?

brighter than trumps teeth??

• Like 1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, there I was sneaking up on a crow when under 10yds a vixen come trotting past! I got on her silently with Fairweather and squeaked. The 17g Remington HMR hit shoulder, not ideal but how she

Polar opposite for me; out this morning at 330 with .17 looking for gingers. Not a sight or sound but on way back home took out a lone crow@113yds which was feeding on belly up bunny.  I know the

Yeah we're behind with cutting, just been too wet.  When I got home my neighbour was putting his golf clubs in car boot, he asked where I'd been so early (he knows I shoot already) after I told h

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

This replaced the marlin.

Brilliant little auto action that is. I would have another anytime.

Yes, they used to sell the marlins in my mums great universal catalogue back in the early seventies. They had a couple of .22’s, usually marlins, a couple of franchi shot guns and a selection of air rifles and air pistols. How times have changed?

• Sad 1
11 minutes ago, si brown said:

Thing is bc it is supposed to be a good scope it’s  a £500 vortex and it couldn’t pick out the fox that I spotted with a £15 set of binoculars that I bought from Lidl. 
been thinking about biting the bullet and buying a leupold?

brighter than trumps teeth??

What vortex scope is it si, I’ve got one on the .243 and it’s superb in low light

7 minutes ago, Stavross said:

What vortex scope is it si, I’ve got one on the .243 and it’s superb in low light

It’s a viper 6.5-20x50 stav, it’s mint in low light and I’ve shot under moonlight with it too but it’s w@nk when there’s pink in the sunset.. I’ve got to turn the magnification right down or it’s just pink mist:(

2 minutes ago, si brown said:

It’s a viper 6.5-20x50 stav, it’s mint in low light and I’ve shot under moonlight with it too but it’s w@nk when there’s pink in the sunset.. I’ve got to turn the magnification right down or it’s just pink mist:(

You get this. Some coatings work better with certain colures than others.

I hate Leopold! They seem to make everything brown to my eye. Could never get on with them. I prefer Nikon for colours and across the board ability.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Sausagedog said:

You get this. Some coatings work better with certain colures than others.

I hate Leopold! They seem to make everything brown to my eye. Could never get on with them. I prefer Nikon for colours and across the board ability.

That is exactly what my mate in shop said to me sd? He’s said about the coatings having to be laid differently for copy rights!

think I better have a look through a Leopoldo before I part with any brass cos I’ll be well pissed off if it’s no good, just fancied something a bit more compact and lighter but with good glass?

my mate keeps going on about geco or gpo some German company but there’s no parallax on the ones in his shop.. not used a scope without parallax for years so I’m not sure how I’d get on with one without it. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Baldcoot said:

Leuopold vx 1 on my .243 and yes its good in low light however as S,d said it is a Brown tint .

20191103_075842.jpg

I could handle a brown tint, the one ive got is like looking through a bag of candy floss... the vortex are aimed at target boys thats probably why it tracks mint, the clarity during the day is ace but when we need them 9 times out of ten its first light or last knockings!

its proper pi55ed me off.. like I said the middle isle of lidl bins picked it out no problem:(

cheers lain

• Like 1

I like the old Simmons wtc, simple scope with a thickish reticle, but good glass. I’ve got an old Burris signature 3-12 x something that’s good in low light, but I can’t find the bleddy thing. I want to put it on my .22 hornet. I’m fed up with these huge and heavy 30mm tubed things that are all the rage nowadays.

• Like 1

Nothing is more personal than a scope, due to everyones eyes being different. Amongst those scopes that aren't a fortune but are very good in low light are Minox, Meopta and the 8x56 schmidt and bender.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ianm said:

Nothing is more personal than a scope, due to everyones eyes being different. Amongst those scopes that aren't a fortune but are very good in low light are Minox, Meopta and the 8x56 schmidt and bender.

I had a meopta years ago. 7x50 IIRC.

Steel tube! Good optically but the blooming thing let moisture in somehow ?

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

I had a meopta years ago. 7x50 IIRC.

Steel tube! Good optically but the blooming thing let moisture in somehow ?

You should of sent it back they do a very good thirty year warranty.

22 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Nikon. Perfect greens and reds ?

Never had px on my scopes to much fiddle. Mate of mine used them. Lost him loads of shots!

Spent ages in the shop this morning looking through every scope imaginable, he had a lupoid like bc’s but I couldn’t make the crosshairs out against the woods so that was a non starter:(

picked up some bloody expensive ones too and walked out with this on loan to see how I get on with... if I like it I can have it for less than half the price I paid for the vortex!

its smaller and lighter to which is a bonus cos the 6.5 is heavy enough?
3B2701F4-0BAD-4734-9B0D-600307A24B29.jpeg.20647e4e2c38c5e49b833a72f6cdd1de.jpeg

• Like 2