If it wasn't for the crow!

Yes, there I was sneaking up on a crow when under 10yds a vixen come trotting past! I got on her silently with Fairweather and squeaked.

The 17g Remington HMR hit shoulder, not ideal but how she crumpled and got up I knew she ain't going far. I heard a twig snap so after a moment went there and yep there she was, just ten yards more. She's a little cutie of a thing and that explains where all my pheasants have gone ?.

I have been here this morning already at 5am and seen nothing. No sign, muck or paw prints. Just goes to show but tonight before shooting her I did find some pigeon feathers! I knew it was a good idea leaving some!

Anyway it was good to bump into her and I salute her by raising my hat and petting her, the little cow.

1529699668_IMG_20200710_1938377962.jpg.532d368defd2e67d1888f646d14ef54e.jpg

Fairweather is doing well and I may of misjudged 17hmr!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, there I was sneaking up on a crow when under 10yds a vixen come trotting past! I got on her silently with Fairweather and squeaked. The 17g Remington HMR hit shoulder, not ideal but how she

Polar opposite for me; out this morning at 330 with .17 looking for gingers. Not a sight or sound but on way back home took out a lone crow@113yds which was feeding on belly up bunny.  I know the

Yeah we're behind with cutting, just been too wet.  When I got home my neighbour was putting his golf clubs in car boot, he asked where I'd been so early (he knows I shoot already) after I told h

Posted Images

It,s doing the beans for you and thats all that matters ,we all have a favourite calibre/go to rifle but it,s a useful tool to have in the cupboard .Nice shooting and i,m glad stealth vixen didnt make slinky no 4 ,couldnt deal with 9 more pages of such baadd jokes 

• Haha 4
4 minutes ago, Baldcoot said:

It,s doing the beans for you and thats all that matters ,we all have a favourite calibre/go to rifle but it,s a useful tool to have in the cupboard .Nice shooting and i,m glad stealth vixen didnt make slinky no 4 ,couldnt deal with 9 more pages of such baadd jokes 

Really like the scope mate. Thanks?

Polar opposite for me; out this morning at 330 with .17 looking for gingers. Not a sight or sound but on way back home took out a lone crow@113yds which was feeding on belly up bunny. 

I know there's a new fox about after couple weeks of being quiet after last few I've knocked on head as I've seen on trail cam, just a matter of catching up with it. 

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Like 6
27 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Polar opposite for me; out this morning at 330 with .17 looking for gingers. Not a sight or sound but on way back home took out a lone crow@113yds which was feeding on belly up bunny. 

I know there's a new fox about after couple weeks of being quiet after last few I've knocked on head as I've seen on trail cam, just a matter of catching up with it. 

I did the same and saw nowt in the morning.

I'm waiting for some grass to come off. It'll be cut when I'm at work....meaning I won't be there until next weekend ?

2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I'm waiting for some grass to come off. It'll be cut when I'm at work....meaning I won't be there until next weekend ?

Yeah we're behind with cutting, just been too wet. 

When I got home my neighbour was putting his golf clubs in car boot, he asked where I'd been so early (he knows I shoot already) after I told him, he goes "God I can't think of anything worse; getting out of bed that early to sit in field on your own in the dark, you must be mad" I just cast my eyes at the golf clubs & nodded my head. Each to their own....

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Haha 6
13 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Yes, there I was sneaking up on a crow when under 10yds a vixen come trotting past! I got on her silently with Fairweather and squeaked.

The 17g Remington HMR hit shoulder, not ideal but how she crumpled and got up I knew she ain't going far. I heard a twig snap so after a moment went there and yep there she was, just ten yards more. She's a little cutie of a thing and that explains where all my pheasants have gone ?.

I have been here this morning already at 5am and seen nothing. No sign, muck or paw prints. Just goes to show but tonight before shooting her I did find some pigeon feathers! I knew it was a good idea leaving some!

Anyway it was good to bump into her and I salute her by raising my hat and petting her, the little cow.

1529699668_IMG_20200710_1938377962.jpg.532d368defd2e67d1888f646d14ef54e.jpg

Fairweather is doing well and I may of misjudged 17hmr!

Good result sd. Have you still got the marlin or is this .17 it’s replacement?

1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Soon as the grass is cut I’ve got a couple to catch up with, I’ve been leaving dinner out for them on and off for the last couple of weeks and had a few fleeting sightings!

the only place I can get set up safely and get the shot on is from 250yards away due to where there coming from and a public rd to the right of the hedge.. due to the beans I can only see from here:(

5874FA03-1CED-4B52-AA42-1EDBE26BA3FC.jpeg.7c016cd5c20b9be57bd32dbdefd84ef2.jpeg  Been baiting where the crop changes as there’s a strip of manure between, this night it had a pork pie left over from me dinner?

the point about this post is that I fcuked the shot up, got a scope that’s mint during the day great up till last knocking... absolutely shite when the backdrops like this, it can’t handle this light and I have to back it right off to be able to see anything!

its going?

anyway went to have a look but I wasn’t confident with the shot, walking to the bait trap I saw it or another one looking straight at me but it had the hedge and rd behind it.. no shot on:(

anyway it fecked off... I found it again on the way back to the truck, bout 100yard away... cheeky b@stard sat right in front of truck

sh1t photo as done with my phone ?

048645E4-B541-49DB-BD5A-B686461576B8.png.92a64b50e5c13369bae894f518775e4a.png
 That’s 3 easy shots missed now with this scope in this situation it’s going?

anyway nice work with the new scope sd and getting the pheasant terrorist?

• Like 3

Sounds like it,s spending time Si ,and reversing over the current scope to put it out of your misery. I too had an unproductive night ,out at 9.30 just bunnies and a herd of cows to be seen .

You could smell where Charlie  had been minging stink but no show and at 1am the moon came out brighter than Trump,s teeth but i think the biggest problem was the wind direction it changed more times than the wifes mind .So i couldn.t sneak up on an incontinent deaf elephant if i tried .

A frustrating night all round .

• Haha 4