Up at t farm

1 hour ago, ianm said:

To be quite honest deer do nothing for me at all. I wouldn't dream of going stalking, although there are plenty of deer on land i shoot on. I usually shoot them whilst out foxing if my or the families freezer is getting low. I put the 30/06 in the truck and go foxing a bit earlier if i see one i want to shoot i do so. I sometimes use a buttolo to call them in but i must admit i don't get any excitement out of it at all, in fact i regard it as a chore, just a means to put meat in the freezers. 

I couldn’t agree more . Deer shooting is a chore . I get absolutely no pleasure out of dealing with deer . However I do get satisfaction taking genuine stalkers out and putting them on the deer . You can see how much it means to some people and helping others have a good trip is always rewarding .

• Like 8

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes it’s just nice to get out and watch the world go by, I’m just sat on the bails now watching the sun set, I’ll give it another half hour, if I see a fox I’ll have a go but it’s just nice to b

I decided while the weather was good I’d have a walk around the sheep farm, when I got here the farmer was separating the lambs from the ewes in one field so I thought I’d give him a hand, these are t

I could of taken a neck shot the other night, but for the few deer I shoot it just didn’t seem the right shot for me, like you say I can wait for another opportunity when the shot is one I’m comfortab

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

It's funny how there are loads of stalkers with no access to deer would give their right arm for stalking ground ,yet people with plenty deer arent interested. Wish I had loads of deer to be a chore ?

Familiarity breeds contempt ?

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I appreciate each to their own , foxing is top of my list but still enjoy stalking. There are very few foxes on my grounds at the minute could do with some more. What species of deer do you have as we only have roe here unfortunately?

I have access to Roe, Sika and Fallow around home. I also have a place in Scotland via a relation for Roe and Red. I tend to stick to Roe as they are easier to manage once killed. I do get pestered off a mate who is a farmer to go and thin the Sika out for him but i usually leave him to deal with the carcasses. 

• Like 2

That’s the trouble with stalking, getting close enough to get a good shot of is a art in its self , but once the round has left the barrel , it’s just a pain in the arse with all the caffule that has to follow , and at my age I can’t be bothered 

? 

• Like 4

Pity you can't leave bambi under a hedge like you can fox. Trouble is the legs sticking out ends to attract attention. Be the ideal solution in a remote field though. The flies and local foxes would have it down in no time. Must admit I've never been bothered by deer. Miles of hiking, days without a shot. You fianlly get a shot and the bloody deer is 1/2 a mile away up some mountain when you take it. Then it falls dead and falls another 1/2 mile away into a ravine. You trudge miles to get it. Have to deal with it, then have to carry the bloody thing back for all the miles you walked + plus the miles of retrieval and it's like having a car on your back. It's like some medieval form of punishment routine. No thanks! I'll stick to fox and rabbits. Fox goes under a hedge. Rabbits, hundred yard walk with something weighing a few ounces.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 2